Previous   Next

Did Woodstock make the world a better place?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 15, 2009

Browse the archives

“Not only did Woodstock make the world a better place, it made the world what it is today.”

“Yes, I married my husband the weekend of Woodstock.”

“Yes, it brought a lot of issues to the front and it united a huge number of people.”

“Are you talking about the bird or the concert?”

Comments

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Reminds me of that hippy jam thing on South Park. I admit I'm hard pressed to see how a concert could ever have that much impact on the world.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't remember a thing.... funny how that works

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Jessica is the only one with a real job.

conservativepunker 5 years, 2 months ago

ugh. Dirty Hippies? Bad performances? All it did was lead to Altamont, and an opportunity for Old Hippies to reminisce every year that ends in nine to go on and on about "Peace and Love, etc. "

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

My funniest memory of "hippies". My dad, as he was getting out of the car at the church where my younger brother was getting married, looked around at the gathering of guests and proclaimed loudly,"This ain't nothin' but a bunch of G D**ed hippies!" Mrs Roe sat next to him through the ceremony to keep him calm.....

jaywalker 5 years, 2 months ago

It made a field a mud pit. Other than that.......

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes. It gave us a great documentary film and soundtrack, and that certainly hasn't made the world a worse place. Without the exceptional film, however, I'm pretty sure it would just be a footnote in music history. Musically, the Monterey International Pop Festival in '67 was far more important.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

It was totally boring and totally stupid. It was just a concert. Meanwhile in other places the real work of being in the civil rights movement, trying to end the war in Viet Nam was going on. The truth is that people who are "mellow," regardless of how much they love themselves, just don't accomplish very much. WWJD? Who wants Jack Daniels?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I don't know, Irish... learning to love oneself can be quite the accomplishment... displacing the need to dismiss the pursuits of others as "boring" or "stupid"... or the need for Jack Daniels, for that matter....

,;-)

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

Almost a total waste, except for Hendrix and The Who.

Hippies were generally manipulative and selfish, and the hippie attitude has led us into the economic greed and turpitude of the last 30 years.

Never trust a hippie, with your woman, your stash, or your money.

camper 5 years, 2 months ago

No. Most of the hippies I know from that generation are now hardcore Conservatives. Makes me think of the phrase "I fear being too liberal when I'm young, because I'll be too conservative when I'm old". Or something like that.

The music stands on its own though. The 50's and 60's was probably the best period of music we have ever seen. The records of that time set the bar for popular music.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

Hippies were "liberal" when it suited their greedy, selfish purposes, just as they are now "conservative" for the same reason.

It was not hippies, but social activists, who effected real change in the 60s. These two groups are often conflated, but they are distinct movements from the 60s.

Practicality 5 years, 2 months ago

Ummmm, how does a bunch of idiots rolling around in the mud, doing drugs, having sex, disrespecting their parents, and listening to horrible music make the world better?

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Santana!

"the hippie attitude has led us into the economic greed and turpitude of the last 30 years."

Right! Our current situation is because of former hippies. Sure it is.

My question is, how stupid are conservatives if in just 40 years they gave over all their power and control of the financial industry to former hippies? I guess they must have been charmed by their flashy clothing down on Wall Street.

camper 5 years, 2 months ago

Horrible music? On the Joe Cocker cut you can see Leon Russel and even the drummer of Derreck & the Dominoes. What else can be said about Jimi Hendrix and Stephen Stills? Woodstock 69' was way different than 99'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFsvHs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBsj6dYajQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WGF5sA-3c

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

There was music between Stravinsky and Metallica?

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I had a post removed. What about it Marion? Like recently when I quoted you and then both comments were removed, the same thing happened again. Someone wrote something offensive, I quoted them, and the original post and my post were removed. Oh, the horror.

I'll still bet anyone who cares to wager that you have had far more posts removed than I, and that they have been removed at a higher percentage. So what is your point? At least I'm not getting removed from my own blog.

Speaking of which, don't you have one of your race-baiting, "thou doest protest too much," blogs to go drum up some interest in?

I wonder how many times you will post comments on your next blog in your desperate attempt to make it appear anyone cares? Last blog of yours I saw, you had 6 comments on it -- and 5 of them were your own! That is just sad, Marion. Very, very sad.

Oh, and don't send me any more e-mails asking me to check out your blog. We are not friends.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

That would be OUR president. I know you really hate America and its system of free elections, but the winner does represent ALL Americans and is president for ALL of us.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Beatrice-

Then W was your president too?

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to think the spirit of "love ,peace, and music" is still alive in some of us.