Previous   Next

Did Woodstock make the world a better place?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 15, 2009

Browse the archives

“Not only did Woodstock make the world a better place, it made the world what it is today.”

“Yes, I married my husband the weekend of Woodstock.”

“Yes, it brought a lot of issues to the front and it united a huge number of people.”

“Are you talking about the bird or the concert?”

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to think the spirit of "love ,peace, and music" is still alive in some of us.

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

bushie stole the election from Al Gore He was never my president just another low life scum criminal ND MARION YOU ACT LIKE YOU ARE 5 YEARS OLD gET A LIFE DUDE

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

Beatrice-

Then W was your president too?

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

That would be OUR president. I know you really hate America and its system of free elections, but the winner does represent ALL Americans and is president for ALL of us.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, beartice and I'm going to put a post on that blog every single day until your president signs the pardon for Jack Johnson.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I had a post removed. What about it Marion? Like recently when I quoted you and then both comments were removed, the same thing happened again. Someone wrote something offensive, I quoted them, and the original post and my post were removed. Oh, the horror.

I'll still bet anyone who cares to wager that you have had far more posts removed than I, and that they have been removed at a higher percentage. So what is your point? At least I'm not getting removed from my own blog.

Speaking of which, don't you have one of your race-baiting, "thou doest protest too much," blogs to go drum up some interest in?

I wonder how many times you will post comments on your next blog in your desperate attempt to make it appear anyone cares? Last blog of yours I saw, you had 6 comments on it -- and 5 of them were your own! That is just sad, Marion. Very, very sad.

Oh, and don't send me any more e-mails asking me to check out your blog. We are not friends.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey, beatrice!

What about you post having been removed on that other thread?

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

irish were you there? This is exactly why I call you an idiot and a waste of skin. One of the most significant tools for change in this country and you dumb a$$ calls it just a concert You are stupid and moronic Now write some duma$$ blog and call yourself a writer LMAO at your total ignorance

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

Ronaldo, my princess can't go on a seabag. Plus, I have to make sure there is no peas under the matteress..nothing is too good for my future U.S. senator from Kansas.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

autie, Your daughter is bringing too much crap to college if you have to help her.
I showed up to college with a seabag slung over one shoulder and a Olivetti Lettera 22 under the other.

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

There was music between Stravinsky and Metallica?

camper 4 years, 8 months ago

Horrible music? On the Joe Cocker cut you can see Leon Russel and even the drummer of Derreck & the Dominoes. What else can be said about Jimi Hendrix and Stephen Stills? Woodstock 69' was way different than 99'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFsvHs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBsj6dYajQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WGF5sA-3c

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey, at least it looks like it will be cool. Every August when I switched apartments it was 100 degrees and humid. And I always seemed to find an apartment on the third floor.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

If you don't see me post on Monday, it is cause moving college kids did me in....didn't somebody tell me brown liquor was a requirement for this activity?

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes it did I was at Woodstock although I was very young and it did a lot ofgood We need another but another would never have the same vibe

prospector 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie, I met his drummer for that gig. Fifteen years later he was a chef/cook in Wichita.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

Richie Havens was pretty good

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Santana!

"the hippie attitude has led us into the economic greed and turpitude of the last 30 years."

Right! Our current situation is because of former hippies. Sure it is.

My question is, how stupid are conservatives if in just 40 years they gave over all their power and control of the financial industry to former hippies? I guess they must have been charmed by their flashy clothing down on Wall Street.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

"Almost a total waste, except for Hendrix and The Who."

Roger Daltrey said it was the worst concert they ever played.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

finger neurons? Hey, a guy told me I would probably need something like Jack Daniels tomorrow. Target is 11:00 am for the unloading zone. Should be quite the clusterf**k.

Practicality 4 years, 8 months ago

Ummmm, how does a bunch of idiots rolling around in the mud, doing drugs, having sex, disrespecting their parents, and listening to horrible music make the world better?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Hippies were "liberal" when it suited their greedy, selfish purposes, just as they are now "conservative" for the same reason.

It was not hippies, but social activists, who effected real change in the 60s. These two groups are often conflated, but they are distinct movements from the 60s.

prospector 4 years, 8 months ago

Most of the world would say "What's a Woodstock?" and who says it is a better place?

camper 4 years, 8 months ago

No. Most of the hippies I know from that generation are now hardcore Conservatives. Makes me think of the phrase "I fear being too liberal when I'm young, because I'll be too conservative when I'm old". Or something like that.

The music stands on its own though. The 50's and 60's was probably the best period of music we have ever seen. The records of that time set the bar for popular music.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Almost a total waste, except for Hendrix and The Who.

Hippies were generally manipulative and selfish, and the hippie attitude has led us into the economic greed and turpitude of the last 30 years.

Never trust a hippie, with your woman, your stash, or your money.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Per se no not really. However it did change the culture of the nation to some extent as these baby boomers were the first generation to buck the status quo.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, I don't know, Irish... learning to love oneself can be quite the accomplishment... displacing the need to dismiss the pursuits of others as "boring" or "stupid"... or the need for Jack Daniels, for that matter....

,;-)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

It was totally boring and totally stupid. It was just a concert. Meanwhile in other places the real work of being in the civil rights movement, trying to end the war in Viet Nam was going on. The truth is that people who are "mellow," regardless of how much they love themselves, just don't accomplish very much. WWJD? Who wants Jack Daniels?

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes. It gave us a great documentary film and soundtrack, and that certainly hasn't made the world a worse place. Without the exceptional film, however, I'm pretty sure it would just be a footnote in music history. Musically, the Monterey International Pop Festival in '67 was far more important.

jaywalker 4 years, 8 months ago

It made a field a mud pit. Other than that.......

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, hell no. Die finger-brain neurons.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, hell know. Woodstock is just a great marketing gimmick.

"“Not only did Woodstock make the world a better place, it made the world what it is today.”"

Reposted for someone to explain what the hell he means.

Darin Wade 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't think so wood-stock had some horrible memories of Charlie Manson-crowd-and the thinking that Jesus had long hair. it was not-- the traces of orgins of that custom were greek goddess and the bible says it was an abomination for men to wear long hair it has put shame to the womens glory. The funny thing is that woodstock crowd became from this to some tryants and hardnosed republicians-famous not so liked republicans were involved in woodstock-like Newt Gingrich George Bush and so on...WoodStock was just a mecca of comming together.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

My funniest memory of "hippies". My dad, as he was getting out of the car at the church where my younger brother was getting married, looked around at the gathering of guests and proclaimed loudly,"This ain't nothin' but a bunch of G D**ed hippies!" Mrs Roe sat next to him through the ceremony to keep him calm.....

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

R_I wrote: Damn longhairs.

autie says: Funny how my attitude is changed in 40 years. Early to late seventies had autie sporting that long hair/ponytail stuff. Now it is high and tight.

conservativepunker 4 years, 8 months ago

ugh. Dirty Hippies? Bad performances? All it did was lead to Altamont, and an opportunity for Old Hippies to reminisce every year that ends in nine to go on and on about "Peace and Love, etc. "

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

Jessica is the only one with a real job.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't remember a thing.... funny how that works

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of that hippy jam thing on South Park. I admit I'm hard pressed to see how a concert could ever have that much impact on the world.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

Not really. It was more of a diversion than a times changing event.