Previous   Next

Should Lawrence Memorial Hospital turn Woody Park into a parking lot?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on August 11, 2009

Browse the archives

“If the city is getting fairly treated out of the deal, sure.”

“No, absolutely not because we need more green space.”

“I’ve never even heard of Woody Park, so I think that would be a good idea. The parking by the hospital is terrible.”

“I see no need for additional parking at Lawrence Memorial. … If there is to be any alteration made, perhaps suitable accommodations could be found elsewhere to honor Mr. Woody.”

Comments

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

only a hayseed would go to LMH when quality hospitals are in JOCO so park anywhere you want

solsken66 4 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the hospital could donate money to make the park more beneficial to the children in the area: playground equipment, picnic shelter... My children used to practice at that baseball field when they were participants on a parks and rec baseball team.

faceit 4 years, 8 months ago

I think it was named after a certain upstanding member of the community, who had worked long and hard.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 8 months ago

Woody Park, so is that a park for your woody or what?

Bill Lee 4 years, 8 months ago

People are always complaining about their tax dollars being used to subsidize buses and golf, so why should mine be used to subsidize a park I don't use?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Woody Strode was a really good actor. Donuts just hates Bert Nash for a reason which will be made clear one day. I don't think there is a good solution to this that will please everyone. But, I would be willing to bet a dollar that the park is going to go.

Seamus 4 years, 8 months ago

Bob-- by her logic, if I hadn't ever heard of the Pine Barrens then it would be just dandy to pave it over for stupid people too lazy to walk a block.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Seamus - And she lives in New Jersey.

Seamus 4 years, 8 months ago

“I’ve never even heard of Woody Park, so I think that would be a good idea. The parking by the hospital is terrible.”

— Shala Stevenson, graphic designer, New Brunswick, N.J.

Could there be a more clueless statement? I've never heard of something, therefore it's OK to destroy.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

R_I -

That's why I have a bunker.

sally87 4 years, 8 months ago

Why would they tear down Bert Nash?! It's in use still. I work next door to the hospital and from my perspective they have enough parking as it is. If the park is viewed as not being used enough, perhaps they could re-purpose it into something more useful than a parking lot.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

T_O_B, We may not need parks anymore either... The proposed Obama government healthcare bill has a government snitch network built into it, allowing social workers to gain access to your home under the pretext of checking on your new baby, or soon-to-be-born baby. It will result in many many more children being taken from families by state Child Protective Services agencies. This "home invasion" program is called the "Home visitation programs for families with young children and families expecting children." The pretext on which the state agents would enter the home would be to "to improve the well-being, health, and development of children by enabling the establishment and expansion of high quality programs providing voluntary home visitation for families with young children and families expecting children." █(Income taxes are also theoretically voluntary...)█ This is a backdoor means of obtaining agreement to go around the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar provisions in most state constitutions that prohibit entry into a home without a search warrant. If you agree, then you have waived your right to require a search warrant, which can only be authorized by a magistrate or judge on probable cause that a crime has or is being committed. There are various fine-print provisions of the proposed Obama healthcare bill that deprive citizens of rights, or are of particular concern owing to their likely intrusion on personal privacy or family autonomy.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

"I see at least T_O_B has had his Grande Mocha Chai Soy Latte this morning…"

I'm lactose intolerant.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

NO! Why cover up 4 acres?

Why not take it up up up on the newest lots? This could have been done during initial construction. It can be and should be done....... take it up and be efficient with space.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

I see at least T_O_B has had his Grande Mocha Chai Soy Latte this morning...

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

"Shelf this until after the national healthcare reform issue is settled. Depending on how that goes, there may be no need for hospital parking lots…"

Good point. We may need that land for funeral home parking lots or gravesites.

spiff 4 years, 8 months ago

yep, parking is way more fun than baseball

demonfury 4 years, 8 months ago

R_I has it exactly right. Shelf it until we see what kind of permanent damage the Obamanation causes with this debacle. He's going to do whatever he has to in order to cram a passed bill down the American people's throats. All so that he can claim a political victory in order to stave off incredibly low approval ratings for Democraps coming into a congressional election year. .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

Shelf this until after the national healthcare reform issue is settled. Depending on how that goes, there may be no need for hospital parking lots...

quimby 4 years, 8 months ago

NO. No way. Absolute not. Don't do it. How many more ways do we have to say it? Leave the Park alone!

blue73harley 4 years, 8 months ago

Seems simple to me. You just add "ing Lot"

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

How much wood would Chuck Woolery chuck if Chuck Woolery could chuck wood?

JackRipper 4 years, 8 months ago

It is ironic that so many who have to go to the hospital is because of the car, whether it be accidents or all the many health issues related from depending on the car for all their transportation needs. Energy issues and our healthcare concerns could be helped simply by reducing our use of the car for everything which won't happen until we change the way we build our cities. So simple and yet we aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Donnuts 4 years, 8 months ago

NO they should tear down Bert Nash and build the additional parking there, or just build a garage on top of existing parking areas.