Previous   Next

Are you ready for school to start?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on August 9, 2009

Browse the archives

“I am ready for school to start. School is what keeps this town really jumping.”

“Yes, I am. I’m excited because my son is going to first grade.”

“Yes, ready for sports.”

“Yes, because it’s fun.”

Comments

blue73harley 4 years, 8 months ago

It will be an empty nest this year as the last one heads off to college.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes I am. While you all have snow days, we down here also have many many more 'flood days'. You may put your kid on the bus to go to school, but the bus may turn around after a mile or so and bring them back finding the river rose more than they expected, after you've left to go to work in the other direction.

Each rainfall means a new adventure in parenting, and I don't even have kids at home, so I get to just sit here and smile.

purplesage 4 years, 8 months ago

Ready - or not, here comes school. I wasn't thinking in KU terms when I read the question. Watch out for the kiddo s in the cross walks and remember the school buses. There seems to be a lot of learning loss over the summer for drivers. Yellow means it is about to stop. Red means you stop. Children are around, so please be careful.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

The autiedaughter is so very excited about "college life". I don't feel so bad since we she has kin folk very close by...plus all the personal spies I have in River City.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 8 months ago

autie, I agree - our daughter moves back this week. Bitter sweet it is - we will miss her.

farfle 4 years, 8 months ago

"And it will be wonderful to get the rugrats out of the house during the day."

When I was a kid you couldn't keep us in the house in the summer. This is why we have an obesity epidemic.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

Schooling never ends here in the family compound.
Because of the accelerated homeschool program, in January my 13 year old will be in the shoes of autie's daughter.

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

Can't wait! Can't believe I actually agree with Nancy-Tom on something! It has been an exhaustive summer. And it will be wonderful to get the rugrats out of the house during the day. One of my grandsons will start full day kindergarten after doing half-day Head Start last year. He is so excited to be going to his brother's school this year and his brother is thrilled to have someone to walk home with. Grandma is thrilled all the way around.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

What can parents,PTO groups and neighborhoods do to keep traffic operating in a safe manner?

Urge the city commission to demand unrelentless enforcement of existing traffic ordinances for such things as: running red lights running stop signs speeding taillgaiting and reckless driving *irresponsible driving i.e. cell phones

Stiffer traffic fines. Money is the only tool that gets any attention.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

How can the T help make it work? Public school students of all young ages have been using the the T the past few years.

How do I know? By riding morning routes doing T surveys. Parents and PTO groups seek passes. The PTAC is a great advisory group. Go talk to them.

Cyclists and pedestrians remember vehicle drivers cannot see around near as well as cyclists and pedestrians due to many blind spots built into large vehicles. Ride and walk as if the driver never can see.

Drive defensibly. Walk defensibly. Bike defensibly

Hey drivers more careful is the word for all of us. Slower travel and evermore watchful.

If neighborhoods, parents or PTO’s have concerns: • Contact David Woosley to get an idea of what might be the options for a specific situation. • Ask David Woosley to be on the Traffic Safety Commission agenda • Appear before the Traffic Safety Commission to present the case. Not appearing before the Traffic Safety will likely induce a denial of the request. • If the Traffic Safety Commission approves a request be prepared to meet with David Woosley to determine a more exact plan • Then the City Commission agenda is the final step and be prepared to address the City Commission.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

Schools open for business soon. Whether you have school children or not it takes a community to get all of our kids safely to school.

School children of all ages are on the move again and MORE may be walking or biking to school due to cutback on school bus services.

What are City Commissioners and other powers that be doing to make Lawrence safer for walking and bike travel throughout our city?

More "safe crossings" may be necessary.

6th graders and 9th graders might be traveling further to continue their quest for education to become more productive human beings.

More parents and their children will be out and about. Parents may want to consider clothing,jackets and such with eye catching colors. Reflective emblems. YES!

I believe Lands End offers reflective gear for adults now? Whoaaaaa.

Shoes with reflective markings. Local merchants can you help?.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

It is good. It is bad. My kid is moving up next Sunday. that is good. She won't be home every night. I don't like that. I guess I will have to get over it.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Welcome back, KU students! You bring a lot to Lawrence and I am not talking about the money you spend in stores. I like the opportunity to talk to people from different countries and hear their point of view. Sometimes it is not the same that you hear on the news. I have a daughter starting college and a granddaughter working on her masters. Last year while waiting for the bus I met a couple, he was Chinese, she was white, and I told them how much I like New Mexico and Arizona. They both said they love that area and are majoring in architecture and hope to design homes in that area that blend in with the landscape. Remarkable coincidence.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 8 months ago

I know I am. After three solid months of, "Dad, can we (fill in the blank)?" or "Dad, can (fill in the blank) spend the night?" or "Dad, can we spend the night at (fill in the blank)?" my head is spinning faster than Robert Gibbs at a press conference. That, coupled with my wife's upcoming typical Q4 heavy travel schedule, I'll have even MORE time to discuss the important issues of the day with you guys right here on LJW, an award-winning open discussion forum! Aren't you excited?!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, I don't really relish the return of the KU students. As far as public school starting-Yes! Hallelujah! Baruch Hashem Adonai! See, I love my 4th and 5th grade sons to pieces, but it's been a completely exhausting summer. I think I mentioned in another post that when the bus comes at 6:35 on Wed., I'm going to have the Hallelujah Chorus cued up on the cd player, and crank it! My younger one loves school. I freely admit to needing the school's help to deal with my older one. I cried when school let out for summer vacation.

Edward Coan 4 years, 8 months ago

Not really. Much more traffic congestion, which is already bad enough since our City forefathers never planned for this kind of growth.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 8 months ago

I just graduated from Anger Management school. Now they want to start something else. That pisses me off.