Previous   Next

Have you ever adopted an animal?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 4, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, a cat. … I gave her some food, she came back and then she never left. ”

“No, but I wish I had … but I didn’t keep my room clean enough.”

“Yes, at least seven. I am into basset hound rescue.”

“I have not. … My landlord would not allow it.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 4 months ago

Four of them, so far. All four dogs (2 black labs, 1 border collie mix, 1 sheltie mix). Can't do anymore right now without having to get a kennel license.

oldvet 5 years, 4 months ago

One was abandoned by the prior owner when she moved to Florida, the other came from a city shelter in KC.

Nikki May 5 years, 4 months ago

I like to get shelter dogs and I'd take one if I didn't have 3 dogs here already. These 3 keep me plenty crazy and I only WANT 1 dog, so no more for me for a LONG time.

tyger_lily 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I adopt ferrets who are abused, neglected, or just ignored. If I can rehabilitate them into loving pets, I try to find them suitable homes, if not, I keep them.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Our dog was from a pet-finder agency in KC that operates through Petco.

Of our four cats: One came from my Dad's cat's litter Two came from Lawrence Humane Society One was found in a trash can.

preebo 5 years, 4 months ago

Both our dogs are shelter dogs... from Lawrence and Bea Martin shelter in Ottawa.

schula 5 years, 4 months ago

A kitten that showed up at my grandparent's house in July 2007. He was living in the storm drain and my grandma was able to coax him out and gave him to me. He has been the best companion! Of course, I named him Storm since he started his life in the storm drain.

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

many times. Enjoyed each and every one.

mom_of_three 5 years, 4 months ago

My yellow lab was adopted from Lawrence Humane Society. I adopted a cat there, too, but she got out one night, and my kid and I cried for weeks. We also adopted a jrt from a rescue in KC.
Our two cats were left at different vet's offices as kittens, and we adopted them from there.

3up3down 5 years, 4 months ago

Four so far. 1 Husky/Shepard mix 1 Lab/Bassett mix 2 Collie/Golden mix Would never buy from a breeder. Mixed breeds are more even tempered and have great personalities.

canyon_wren 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes--I got two kittens from our local Animal Shelter a year ago. I had never had indoor pets before, so it took some getting used to. If I could just get them to quit climbing my lace curtains and walking across the curtain rods (bending them, in the process) or getting into the bathroom and slashing the shower curtain liner, I would be a lot happier! But they are really good company and quite entertaining!

denak 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes, we adopted Chris, our black and white dutch rabbit from the Humane Society 6 years ago. He was 3-4 years old and had been abandoned by his previous owner.

We, and if, Chris ever decides to go to the great pound in the sky, we plan on adopting another animal from the Humane Society....probably a cat. Or perhaps more rats. They are really cool animals.

Dena

midwestmom 5 years, 4 months ago

in December 1991, my daughters 'desperately' wanted a pet and when we decided to get them a pet, I called the Lawrence Humane Society and they told me that they had the PERFECT cat for us. They were absolutely right! We adopted the cat they recommended to me over the phone. I came to the shelter to 'meet' the cat, before bringing her home and when we walked into the cat area, this beautiful cat came to the front of her cage and put her paw through the opening, as if to say "pleased to meet you". She was a full grown (approx 3 year old) long hair kitty. She was the best cat, ever. A family had to give her up and she was already spayed and had been declawed. She was an amazing, loving, intelligent cat and we loved her until the day she died in Feb 2008. She lived a long, loved life and I miss her still, every day. We have 2 other kitties that are strictly indoor cats (one a stray, the other a 'barn kitten') - otherwise I'd be at the shelter today to adopt another cat!!! We can't take in another animal right now, but we try to support the shelter by donating supplies and money whenever we can and I challenge other pet lovers to consider doing the same if you can't out right adopt - please find out from the shelter what their greatest needs are and make a donation of time, supplies or money. We're so lucky to have Midge Grinstead and her staff in our community doing the amazing work they do!!! Thanks very much!

midwestmom 5 years, 4 months ago

I've pasted the link to the Lawrence Humane Society's wish list for supplies:

Thanks!

labmonkey 5 years, 4 months ago

Just got a dog from the Olathe Pound.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

I too got a perfect match from the shelter. His name is Deion and he is a five year old orange tabby. He is the darling of my life. I want to give thanks to those who work at the shelter for everything they do. They also need volunteers to help take care of the animals and walk them and give them some company.

Music_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

I live in the country. There are strays that people dump out there that we end up adopting. People, seriously, don't just dump your animals and expect them to be ok. Some farmers are not ok with strays and will put them down. Many strays end up hungry and hurt because they don't know how to live on their own. Be responsible and take them to a shelter or advertise them in the paper or something. Don't just dump them!

notjustastudent 5 years, 4 months ago

I've never once in my life had an animal that wasn't "adopted"- starting with neighborhood mutts, runts from farms that would have been allowed to die, and then with the advent of Petfinder, shelter animals of all shapes and sizes! It's definitely become a "tradition" in our family and extended family. I got my cat from the Lawrence shelter 6 years ago, and she made fast friends with a super-mutt from the Lawrence shelter, who belonged to my former roommate. I do think that there are some responsible breeders out there, but they are definitely in the minority (I'm thinking less than 1 %). For example, I think responsible Pitt Bull breeders are very important right now, to help bring the most desirable traits of that breed back into the majority. Whatever you decide to do, it's most important to chose what's right for your situation, not what you think is right to do, or what is cute, or what is cool.

alm77 5 years, 4 months ago

We've adopted 2, Rufus and Moose, (we kept the names the shelter gave them) from the Humane Society, but Rufus passed last year.

A friend of mine came home from a trip to Germany to find a litter in her backyard a couple of years ago. The momma cat never came back, so she started bottle feeding them. At five weeks old, she gave us Mickey. He's amazingly loving and beautiful. Sleeps right up against my pillow every night. He's jealous of my husband. When my husband tries to kiss me good night the cat always tries to squeeze between us. It's very cute, although my husband doesn't appreciate it much.

HW 5 years, 4 months ago

Music Girl,

I feel your plight. We have them dumped on us all the time. So far we have been pretty lucky finding homes for them (we are full). We have even taken them to Colorado if we find them a home there.

As Music Girl said, don't dump them people. I found one one time that had obviously been out for a long time as he was immaciated and dehydrated. He had been hit by at least one car, and was laying in the road with a broken back. Had to put him down. Pets can not, typically, survive in the wild for long. Especially when winter shows up.

As for us, we have had purebreds and adopted animals. As student stated, you have to pick the animal that is right for you and/or your purpose, or else it will just become another neglected, unwanted animal.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 4 months ago

It's always been a pet peeve of mine that people consider their pets their "baby" or "child." Well, I'm eating my words. We adopted our kitty from the Lawrence shelter a few months ago and she is like a child because the whole family loves her so much! She picked us by immediately putting her paws around my husband's neck and snuggling with him. It was like she knew that if she won him over, she was in. I told my husband that we don't have to have another child. We'll just get more cats and maybe a dog eventually.

5 years, 4 months ago

See, now I know why I've always liked RoeDapple. I'm a keeshond person too www.keesangels.org. Does Toby need a friend? I have 2 lovely (spayed) girls right now.

coolmom 5 years, 4 months ago

pets kids causes the hubby says we seem to adopt anything that roams by our door lol.

I_Bejewel 5 years, 4 months ago

I got my dog from the LHS about six years ago. She's been an excellent pet.

missmagoo 5 years, 4 months ago

“No, but I wish I had … but I didn’t keep my room clean enough.”

— Hillary Wehmeyer, certified buyer, Lawrence

what exactly is a certified buyer????

jehovah_bob 5 years, 4 months ago

Adopted two black cats two years ago. Shelter names were Serendipity and Goliath. I can't imagine more appropriate names. Goliath turned out to be a Maine Coon mix and is huge. Have you ever seen a cat drool? He does, he's like a dog.

labmonkey 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi-

Sometimes the stray puppies have puppies themselves...which have had no human contact. They harass livestock and the only way is to pick them off with a .306.