Previous   Next

Did you have any sports highlights as a child?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on August 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I did. One time in basketball, I hit a game-winning shot.”

“Yes, I was a softball-throwing champion. I threw it the farthest, overhand.”

“When I was in high school, I was chosen to perform cheerleading at the Hula Bowl.”

“I set a record in the two-mile in track.”

Comments

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

All metro football and basketball two years All State in football three years State Champion twice 4A Honorable mention All American in football in my senior year

Mary Darst 4 years, 8 months ago

p.s. when I was young, girls really didn't have any sports to compete in. Oh wait, we did have a powder puff football game when I was a junior. I kicked a 45 yard punt. I also had fun kicking the crap out of a couple of girls on the other team. We(the girls) were really foul mouthed and mean to each other.

Mary Darst 4 years, 8 months ago

autie..I would have never done that. Was that the boy from down by Maggies? We were always mean to him. By the way, October was a great month to camp for 5 days. No fish, but fun boating.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

Back when I was child, parents underlined your name in articles. I don't think Highlighters were invented yet.

blue73harley 4 years, 8 months ago

About the only highlight I can think of is when I did not get picked last in kickball.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

hail2, you are on to me, sort of. We had one kid, that when he started to count, we all ran off to the Peter Pan Ice Cream store four blocks away..then would show back up an hour later and watch him still looking for us..

hail2oldku 4 years, 8 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says… I received an expert rating at Hide n Seek.

autie - I hate to tell you this, but they just told you we were playing hide n seek. While you hid, nobody was actually seeking you we were all playing wiffle ball down the street.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 8 months ago

sgt, Those who can't play, coach...or take photos!

alm77 4 years, 8 months ago

In high school, I started playing volleyball a little later than the other girls (my Junior year) and so I sat the bench, a lot. When I did get to play coach took me out when I was up to serve. But I kept getting better and at the end of the season, I served an absolute ACE! It was perfect. I remember it so well and then entire team exploded into crazy screams. It was so wonderful!!

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

I know the feeling prospector. In ninth grade football, I got my world rocked to the nth degree by a guy that went on to have a very successful run as a linebacker for the Jayhawks and then on the Seahawks. He knocked the hell out of us all through high school...Terry Beeson from the Ville.

sgtwolverine 4 years, 8 months ago

Ha! That's a funny question. Since my athletic ability hovers somewhere around zero, I can't say I have any highlights. My entire athletic career consists of:

1)A year of t-ball, and 2)A year of rec league soccer (shortly after t-ball, I think).

I don't recall much of anything about the t-ball season, but I do recall my soccer team didn't score a goal until the last game of the season...and we still lost that game.

Now my sports highlights consist of my photographing high school athletes creating sports highlights.

prospector 4 years, 8 months ago

First place at the Jr. High city meet in the shotput and the 4X110 relay.

Batting a 1000 in the LL Allstar games.

Lowlights

Watched a kid shoot another after Jr. High B-ball practice.

There was the time the Blackburn Jr. High students threw things at our bus as we left. Sore losers

Got hit in the head in LL while batting.

Realizing that a future in football was gone when a senior from a cross town team with 75 pounds on me, a sophomore, cleaned my plow. My coach still gave me a hard time about it decades later. The guy went on to start for the LA/St. Louis Rams for over 20 years(the record for a Off. lineman) and elected to the Hall of Fame the first year eligible.

bad_dog 4 years, 8 months ago

I won a hundred yard dash in a middle school race while wearing cowboy boots. I'd forgotten my track shoes and the school officials wouldn't let me race barefoot.

It had to have been quite a sight down there in that Texas heat-some skinny white boy haulin' butt down the track in his shorts and boots while the audience of cicadas chirped along trackside. You better win wearing a get-up like that...

I'll take you up on your challenge, Ronda. You wear flip-flops and I'll bring the Lucchese's with the riding heels. I'm not sure how well they'll do for "broad" or "high" jumping, but they're faster than a ricochet through a slot canyon ;-)

classclown 4 years, 8 months ago

There are so many of them I couldn't even begin to count them all.

I was the hero in many games in damn near every sport.

Wait. Are we talking real or imagined?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

High spirits? Perhaps marion isn't the only one still drinking.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie - I see dove season is almost upon us. That is what August means to me.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

Now that October is over and we slip into the dog days of summer, is everyone just perked up since fall is around the corner? This has been a fairly non-blah morning for a Monday. Folks seem to be in high spirits....

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 8 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says… High School football? I did most of my scoring after the game.

I think after game scoring ranks right up with just getting the combination to your locker the first day in school. How hard was that? Are we really going to count those? :P

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

What did you make on channel 7 news, ret? come, come...do tell!

I was winner in high jump, one hundred yard dash, and broad jump...always. Anyone want to take me on? :)

demonfury 4 years, 8 months ago

Every once in a great while, a group of athletes come together by chance, and are destined for something special. My senior year in high school, our cross country team had such a group. That year we won the state championship. Of the 150+ runners that day, we finished 1-2-3-4-5. That had never been done before, nor since I do believe. We definately had the 5 best runners in the state that year, and I was fortunate enough to be # 4 in that sequence. We could have never finished that way if the best runner in the state hadn't moved to town between my Junior & Senior year. He used to run for a rival high school about 25 miles away. Anytime we ran against him, we resolved ourselves to understand that we were not going to win that day. It just wasn't going to happen, no one beat him. This guy was lightning in a bottle. He got a full scholarship to run at Stanford, but was hit by a drunk driver the summer after we graduated. His state record still stands, over 25 years later.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 8 months ago

I made it on channel 7 news a few times.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

More like the "agony of defeat" clip in the Wide World of Sports opening sequence.

zettapixel 4 years, 8 months ago

I was called "the boot" in soccer because I could kick the ball from one end of the field to the other... also kicked a couple of 50 yard field goals in high school. Fun stuff!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie -

I should have tagged my post /Al Bundy'd. I think I may have scored four touchdowns my entire senior season.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Making the Jr. High basketball team when the odds were stacked against me.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

High School football? I did most of my scoring after the game.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

I scored four touchdowns in a high school football game.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

I received an expert rating at Hide n Seek. I also scored 6 points in the last thirty seconds of a BB game to win by one.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Cow chip throwing, pie eating competition and mud wrestling, The 16 oz. chug and "Most Likely to Get Injured" in nude water ballet audience.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

I did have a game winning catch and tag-out doubleplay to win a little league baseball game. That was probably my best single play in any sport.

There was a time in basketball in junior high that I scored 6 points in about 25 game seconds because I stole two consecutive passes for a total of 3 layups in a row. I was really, really fast as a kid.

Then, alas, one of my lumbar discs exploded at the ripe age of 14 (at a boy scout meeting (?)) and thus ended my hopes of sports from then on.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 8 months ago

Canoeing, first place at GS camp. Frisbee, city tournament. Some cool stuff in gym that made some of the jock girls go WTF? sometimes...giggle. That was a problem, I usually found it all so absurd that I got the chuckles, and I can't do anything when I'm chuckling. You should have seen me miss the vault box doing a head flip whatever one time. They all just knew I broke my neck when I disappeared over the box out of sight.

When they ran around and found me crumpled on the ground, they thought I was crying because I was hurt. Nope, I was crying, because I was silently LMAO! I couldn't take in enough air to make any sound! I was just shaking and crying with laughter. That was a hell of year in gym.

Pywacket 4 years, 8 months ago

Do you consider dog wrangling a sport?

I set a long jump record at my elementary school that stood for about 15 years. I was an agile little s***. And my hockey team made it to state quarter-finals. I played forward--usually right wing. That's kind of funny, now, isn't it?! ;-)

Despite lettering in swimming, my sports career has been all downhill from there.