Previous   Next

Did you have any sports highlights as a child?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on August 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I did. One time in basketball, I hit a game-winning shot.”

“Yes, I was a softball-throwing champion. I threw it the farthest, overhand.”

“When I was in high school, I was chosen to perform cheerleading at the Hula Bowl.”

“I set a record in the two-mile in track.”

Comments

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

I did have a game winning catch and tag-out doubleplay to win a little league baseball game. That was probably my best single play in any sport.

There was a time in basketball in junior high that I scored 6 points in about 25 game seconds because I stole two consecutive passes for a total of 3 layups in a row. I was really, really fast as a kid.

Then, alas, one of my lumbar discs exploded at the ripe age of 14 (at a boy scout meeting (?)) and thus ended my hopes of sports from then on.

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

Cow chip throwing, pie eating competition and mud wrestling, The 16 oz. chug and "Most Likely to Get Injured" in nude water ballet audience.

zettapixel 5 years, 4 months ago

I was called "the boot" in soccer because I could kick the ball from one end of the field to the other... also kicked a couple of 50 yard field goals in high school. Fun stuff!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

More like the "agony of defeat" clip in the Wide World of Sports opening sequence.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 4 months ago

What did you make on channel 7 news, ret? come, come...do tell!

I was winner in high jump, one hundred yard dash, and broad jump...always. Anyone want to take me on? :)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 4 months ago

High spirits? Perhaps marion isn't the only one still drinking.

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

There are so many of them I couldn't even begin to count them all.

I was the hero in many games in damn near every sport.

Wait. Are we talking real or imagined?

bad_dog 5 years, 4 months ago

I won a hundred yard dash in a middle school race while wearing cowboy boots. I'd forgotten my track shoes and the school officials wouldn't let me race barefoot.

It had to have been quite a sight down there in that Texas heat-some skinny white boy haulin' butt down the track in his shorts and boots while the audience of cicadas chirped along trackside. You better win wearing a get-up like that...

I'll take you up on your challenge, Ronda. You wear flip-flops and I'll bring the Lucchese's with the riding heels. I'm not sure how well they'll do for "broad" or "high" jumping, but they're faster than a ricochet through a slot canyon ;-)

sgtwolverine 5 years, 4 months ago

Ha! That's a funny question. Since my athletic ability hovers somewhere around zero, I can't say I have any highlights. My entire athletic career consists of:

1)A year of t-ball, and 2)A year of rec league soccer (shortly after t-ball, I think).

I don't recall much of anything about the t-ball season, but I do recall my soccer team didn't score a goal until the last game of the season...and we still lost that game.

Now my sports highlights consist of my photographing high school athletes creating sports highlights.

alm77 5 years, 4 months ago

In high school, I started playing volleyball a little later than the other girls (my Junior year) and so I sat the bench, a lot. When I did get to play coach took me out when I was up to serve. But I kept getting better and at the end of the season, I served an absolute ACE! It was perfect. I remember it so well and then entire team exploded into crazy screams. It was so wonderful!!

hail2oldku 5 years, 4 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says… I received an expert rating at Hide n Seek.

autie - I hate to tell you this, but they just told you we were playing hide n seek. While you hid, nobody was actually seeking you we were all playing wiffle ball down the street.

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

autie..I would have never done that. Was that the boy from down by Maggies? We were always mean to him. By the way, October was a great month to camp for 5 days. No fish, but fun boating.

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

p.s. when I was young, girls really didn't have any sports to compete in. Oh wait, we did have a powder puff football game when I was a junior. I kicked a 45 yard punt. I also had fun kicking the crap out of a couple of girls on the other team. We(the girls) were really foul mouthed and mean to each other.