Previous   Next

Do you think the stimulus package is doing enough to help the economy?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on August 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think that the stimulus package is not doing enough for the economy. It spends a lot of money to build things and on education. I don’t see how that creates jobs. The president says it’s supposed to create jobs.”

“I don’t see how it’s helping me at all. Last year, when they sent us the checks, I think that was a better stimulus plan.”

“I think it’s too fast and too much. The idea was good, but they just want it too quickly.”

“No, I don’t feel that the stimulus is really doing anything to help the average person.”

Comments

bronze 4 years, 8 months ago

it was essential for Wall Street, The Federal Reserve, etc. to cover up all of their cumulative lies since Ron Reagan & Alan Greenspan's, 'revolution for the rich'.

TtownKUlivin 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, McCain seems to think it has helped so far..can't be all bad.

notajayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

"I LOLed so hard I think I peed a little."

That was about as far as I could get before I hit the floor, too, snap. Gotta' give merrill credit, as opposed to his usual cut-and-paste propaganda-linkfest, this one provided a lot of comic relief.

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

The "stimulus" package, along with cap and trade and socialized healthcare will further bankrupt this already bankrupt country.

Liberty_One 4 years, 8 months ago

beatrice, first of all it was Carter, not Reagan that first began the deregulation mantra--championed by Ted Kennedy in the Senate. But both did significantly reduce the amount of oversight the government had on certain sectors of the economy.

Secondly, new regulations are just that, new regulations. When you deregulate something you take regulations off the books as no longer having force of law behind them. Can you imagine how confusing it would be to have to search the code not only for applicable regulations but also to see if there was another regulation that canceled the first one out? They just delete the old one. And yes, I have read several of them for class. In addition to regulations there are Administrative Agency holdings which aren't recorded in the registrar but still have force of law, and for some areas these are quite important. For example, the NLRB almost always makes new regulations this way and never by promulgating new rules, hence any new labor law regulations aren't even going to be in the registrar, so the 40,000 pages is only part of the huge oversight laid down by the Bush administration that is crippling the economy.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

"How about giving money to people who want to start a business or a small company wanting to expand that would create long term jobs."

Obama already has supported that. Where have you been?

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

"Nice answers. Instead of answering the question you lefties always blame the other guy."

And the Republican plan for fixing the economy, is?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

"What is the opposing facists neoconservative party afraid of: * That Obama will work with Ralph Nader and put forth a very strong economy." I LOLed so hard I think I peed a little.

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

it is not really helping it is just a qick boost and more PR than anythying it has not created jobs at all

farfle 4 years, 8 months ago

Cui bono. It is doing wonders for the bankers. Instead of lending out the stimulus money they are parking it at the federal reserve who has given them the incentive for doing so.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Glock and Sig Sauer are having a record sales year!

faceit 4 years, 8 months ago

I wondered where all the nut jobs were today.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

Facists Neoconservatives still control the former republican party. Which is to say "getting in the way" is their favorite tool. The only thing that changed is Bush and Cheney although still wandering about fear mongering.

The facist neoconservative fears are fairly substantial which is why they spend so much time and money burying the rest of us with their fear mongering. That same facists neoconservative party fears a few things which the majority of americans need to take back and shore up.

Keep in mind a prospering america can overcome fear mongering.

What is the opposing facists neoconservative party afraid of:

• That Obama will work with Ralph Nader and put forth a very strong economy.

• No more wars

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• HR 676 National Health Insurance for All

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• New Industry thus new jobs thus new wealth for the USA

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Green Collar Industries which produce jobs that cannot be outsourced

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Being exposed as the party manipulating the lower middle class,middle class and upper middle class to fund increasing wealth to the upper 1%.

*A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Losing of tax incentives/tax breaks for the wealthy that actually create tax increases for entire spectrum of the middleclass thus constantly reducing the wealth of the middleclass.

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Clean air, clean water, clean energy and healthy green space scattered throughout america.

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans will put keep the facists neoconservative party at bay for some time.

hitme 4 years, 8 months ago

Bea, You're blaming Reagan? That's hilariously rich. I guess that canceled out the Clinton Administration once and for all.

Your posts are always amusing.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of nice answers there sunny ... Hussein and socialism? Please.

Libertyone, exactly what was in those 40k pages of regulations under Bush? Sure they weren't just pages that allowed less oversight rather than more? Have you read these regulations? I'll admit that I haven't. I can look at what was said by McCain, however, when he was running and how at the GOP convention they said clearly that business needed government to get out of their way! This was repeating the Reagan mantra for deregulization, which started the ball rolling to get us to the economic situation we are in today.

sunny 4 years, 8 months ago

Hussein is doing nothing but taking this country into socialism!

Liberty_One 4 years, 8 months ago

beatrice, McCain wouldn't have deregulated anything--he's no free-market capitalist, not by a long shot. He's more like Bush, the biggest regulator in the history of the United States who added 40,000 pages to the federal registrar.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I can tell you what the McCain plan would be. Let these major companies go bankrupt resulting in even more job losses.

bronze 4 years, 8 months ago

it did an excellent job of NOT punishing the 'those financial institutions' too big to fail.

they didn't / we pay!

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

If the payments last year were so great, why did the economy tank after the money had been spent?

Yes, I believe the stimulus package is helping the overall economy, even when individuals can't see it directly. The Dow is up from January, job losses have dramatically slowed, and we see consumer confidence rising, if slightly. Without the stimulus package? I can't imagine how a McCain plan of more deregulization of business and banking would have helped. Instead, we have someone in office who is attempting to fix the problems that led us into this mess in the first place.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm not very happy on my ROI as of yet.

"If it's all the road work/ detours I hit everytime I go somewhere, yes it's working."

I take it you did the same thing I did yesterday. Get stuck in traffic on the bridge, meander through North Lawrence, get back on the way out of town only to sit in traffic on 24/40 for 25 minutes. And, to top it off, had I read the paper prior to leaving I could have avoided all that. Damn, me!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Bob Cummings of the Alexandria, Virgina company, Interarms, used to say that he liked to help out his competitors.

Out of business, that is.

Barack Hussein Obama is helping out the United States anad its people.

The United States is being helped into becoming a socialist state and the people are being helped into becoming slaves to that state.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 8 months ago

Liberty_One 4 years, 8 months ago

The stimulus spending was never meant to help the economy, only to reward loyal party members. Spending by the government cannot help because they must get that money from somewhere, so while they spend a dollar somewhere they must take that dollar from somewhere else.

ksmama 4 years, 8 months ago

I didn't vote for him and I am proud that I didn't. We need jobs not stimulus money so some company can get a new paint job that creates a short term job not a long term. How about giving money to people who want to start a business or a small company wanting to expand that would create long term jobs.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Since I'm not a special-interest group that helped get Democrats elected, the Porkulus hasn't helped me at all.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if a $200 check is any stimulus, however I voted for Obama because of job creation and I'm still out of work.

Steve Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

The stimulas is a very short term fix. Last years direct payment to everyone was more of a stimulas . I don't know about anyone else, but i need real money to spend which gives local economys a direct shot i the arm, that's real stimulas. What is the cure is to stop imports a much as possible to stimulate jobs here at home to get people back to work.