Previous   Next

Do you think the stimulus package is doing enough to help the economy?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on August 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think that the stimulus package is not doing enough for the economy. It spends a lot of money to build things and on education. I don’t see how that creates jobs. The president says it’s supposed to create jobs.”

“I don’t see how it’s helping me at all. Last year, when they sent us the checks, I think that was a better stimulus plan.”

“I think it’s too fast and too much. The idea was good, but they just want it too quickly.”

“No, I don’t feel that the stimulus is really doing anything to help the average person.”

Comments

Steve Miller 5 years, 4 months ago

The stimulas is a very short term fix. Last years direct payment to everyone was more of a stimulas . I don't know about anyone else, but i need real money to spend which gives local economys a direct shot i the arm, that's real stimulas. What is the cure is to stop imports a much as possible to stimulate jobs here at home to get people back to work.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Since I'm not a special-interest group that helped get Democrats elected, the Porkulus hasn't helped me at all.

ksmama 5 years, 4 months ago

I didn't vote for him and I am proud that I didn't. We need jobs not stimulus money so some company can get a new paint job that creates a short term job not a long term. How about giving money to people who want to start a business or a small company wanting to expand that would create long term jobs.

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

If the payments last year were so great, why did the economy tank after the money had been spent?

Yes, I believe the stimulus package is helping the overall economy, even when individuals can't see it directly. The Dow is up from January, job losses have dramatically slowed, and we see consumer confidence rising, if slightly. Without the stimulus package? I can't imagine how a McCain plan of more deregulization of business and banking would have helped. Instead, we have someone in office who is attempting to fix the problems that led us into this mess in the first place.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 4 months ago

Nice answers. Instead of answering the question you lefties always blame the other guy.

Hussein is doing nothing but taking this country into socialism!

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of nice answers there sunny ... Hussein and socialism? Please.

Libertyone, exactly what was in those 40k pages of regulations under Bush? Sure they weren't just pages that allowed less oversight rather than more? Have you read these regulations? I'll admit that I haven't. I can look at what was said by McCain, however, when he was running and how at the GOP convention they said clearly that business needed government to get out of their way! This was repeating the Reagan mantra for deregulization, which started the ball rolling to get us to the economic situation we are in today.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 4 months ago

Facists Neoconservatives still control the former republican party. Which is to say "getting in the way" is their favorite tool. The only thing that changed is Bush and Cheney although still wandering about fear mongering.

The facist neoconservative fears are fairly substantial which is why they spend so much time and money burying the rest of us with their fear mongering. That same facists neoconservative party fears a few things which the majority of americans need to take back and shore up.

Keep in mind a prospering america can overcome fear mongering.

What is the opposing facists neoconservative party afraid of:

• That Obama will work with Ralph Nader and put forth a very strong economy.

• No more wars

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• HR 676 National Health Insurance for All

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• New Industry thus new jobs thus new wealth for the USA

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Green Collar Industries which produce jobs that cannot be outsourced

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Being exposed as the party manipulating the lower middle class,middle class and upper middle class to fund increasing wealth to the upper 1%.

*A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Losing of tax incentives/tax breaks for the wealthy that actually create tax increases for entire spectrum of the middleclass thus constantly reducing the wealth of the middleclass.

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans

• Clean air, clean water, clean energy and healthy green space scattered throughout america.

• A dramatically improved quality of life for all americans will put keep the facists neoconservative party at bay for some time.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Glock and Sig Sauer are having a record sales year!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

"What is the opposing facists neoconservative party afraid of: * That Obama will work with Ralph Nader and put forth a very strong economy." I LOLed so hard I think I peed a little.

labmonkey 5 years, 4 months ago

The "stimulus" package, along with cap and trade and socialized healthcare will further bankrupt this already bankrupt country.

notajayhawk 5 years, 4 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

"I LOLed so hard I think I peed a little."

That was about as far as I could get before I hit the floor, too, snap. Gotta' give merrill credit, as opposed to his usual cut-and-paste propaganda-linkfest, this one provided a lot of comic relief.

TtownKUlivin 5 years, 4 months ago

Well, McCain seems to think it has helped so far..can't be all bad.