Previous   Next

Do you prefer firetrucks colored red or green?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on April 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think red is fine, it’s standard and I’m used to it.”

“Green, you can see them better than the red.”

“I prefer them red, that’s the way I know them.”

“I think red is what we expect to see, green kind of makes you wonder ‘what’s going on?’”

Related story

Comments

oldvet 6 years, 3 months ago

OK, one more time for those who don't know "the rule" on red fire trucks...

2 + 2 = 4 3 X 4 = 12 12 inches is a ruler Queen Elizabeth is a ruler Queen Elizabeth is also a ship Ships sail on the oceans Oceans have fish Fish have fins Finns fight the Russians Russians are reds Fire Engines are always rushin' so...
Fire Engines are always red!

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

Red and green checkers.... like the old taxi cabs... with my address on the inside (just in case). Interior has to be zebra stripes... with PETA paint .

dajudge 6 years, 3 months ago

I think green is fine, it's standard and I"m used to it. still working.

Orwell 6 years, 3 months ago

I've never heard of anyone refusing the services of a fire truck and its crew, or heard of any fire fought more effectively, because of the color of the truck.

Better questions, please.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

Better questions, please.

Dear Or: Is today Wed or Thurs.?

storm 6 years, 3 months ago

Red or green chile? Green chile tastes better.

Red or green fire-trucks? Green is the color that people can see better at night (instead of red because it blends too much with black).

Most over-used word? Green

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

For firetrucks that have to drive around at night, I'd go with whatever color is going to be most visible.

50YearResident 6 years, 3 months ago

Who cares? The color does not make the truck! If someone can't tell it's a fire truck by looking at the size and equipment it doesn't matter what color it is.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

Red. That's all I have to say about that.

MD, I'd be careful about buying any bacon that is on sale for the next two weeks. And what a sad thing about the toddler. Hubby took tamiflu and felt better except for the hives and bumps that came along with it.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

Some drivers out there are going to ignore all else on the street, no matter the size, shape or color. Weren't they red because red is perceived as the color of emergency, which is why on stop lights, red means stop, and stop signs are red? You wave red flags at bulls to make them mad, or is that a myth? Cows are unaffected by flags of any color. Oh, sorry, red.

Eddie Muñoz 6 years, 3 months ago

Green or red, day or night - I have no problem seeing them when their lights are flashing and sirens wailing.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

oh, and good post, OldVet! That's how my brain works through all questions.

purplesage 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't care so long as it can put out the fire.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

You all see where Egypt has killed all the pigs to stop the virus, and the first toddler has died in Texas of the flu? Multi, I did see them on MSNBC this morning. I don't know what to think. The toddler was a Mexican who was in the US for medical treatment.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 3 months ago

Whatever color they really really really want to be.

passionatelibra 6 years, 3 months ago

Red. I agree that I have no problem seeing the lights flashing or hearing the siren. No matter how dark it is.

lawrence_kansas_usa 6 years, 3 months ago

Did these new trucks come with a Dalmation?

No fire truck is complete unless and until it's got a Dalmation riding in the back!

/I'm a dog lover....forgive me! lol

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Most definitely red. Since they have roughly three billion lights and sirens that are capable of waking the dead, I don't think the paint job is THAT important when it comes to visibility. And really, when it comes to those who blast their radios and tune out the world outside their cars (wait, I'm supposed to use those mirrors?), it doesn't matter how gaudy the paint job is, how loud the siren is or how bright the lights are: they're still not going to notice you.

Oh, and I think the interiors of all fire trucks should feature soft Corinthian leather.

Also, Emergency! is one of my favorite tv shows.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

red or green? do you know what I mean? if its red, are we dead? if its green, are we lean?
if its fat, where did we sat? green or red upon the truck, I worry about firemen's luck.
keep 'em safe on their errands, for heroes they be barons.

Sam I am, I do not like them, green or tan. I would not ride them to a fire, I would not wish them blow a tire.
... sam I am.

gphawk89 6 years, 3 months ago

For Lawrence? Definitely green, with solar panels all over and maybe a wind turbine or two, running on biodiesel, with small nozzles so they don't use too much water.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

Irish, IIRC, cows & bulls don't have color vision. They do hate paisley, thoough.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

OK, MD, so here's a question. How did cooking in a microwave become "nuking" it? Is it really nuclear cooking?

That is the phrase wherever I go.

FiremanChris 6 years, 3 months ago

The green truck phenomenon came from a study done in Dallas in the 70's and 80's. They stopped ordering all-red apparatus and started using green/lime and red/white apparatus. They conducted studies that showed that the green/lime apparatus was more visible than red.
 The one thing they didn't take into account is that people don't associate lime apparatus with fire service emergency vehicles. It turned out to be less effective overall because it went against the cultural tradition of red fire apparatus.
 Ultimately, there are enough lights and sirens on them that they should be visible regardless of color. Most firefighters prefer red, though.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

MD, I understand! Molecules, attenTION!

lawrencefan 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks OldVet. Yours is the only response on here that makes any sense.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

Snap, now you tell me. I had a paisley dress that I loved, and a cousin told me that I would be safe as bulls only went after red. I believed him. I am still scarred from that little episode, I was dared to walk across the field, and I mean literally. After I got back from the doctor, I was coddled and, speaking of red, his bottom -was. For the fire truck, I say bubble gum pink with a leopard print interior and a Red Sox flag flying.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Whoa ... I'm watching Magnum P.I. -- hey, I like old tv -- and it just reference Olathe.

deskboy04 6 years, 3 months ago

I think that whatever the fire department decides is fine with me.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

nuking!

has to do with the idea of radiation being used to cook Gootsie, I think.

gee, nobody came up with a green eggs and ham equivalent poem for green firetrucks.

no, we shouldn't have lime/mold/forest/sage/ocean green firetrucks! red is a good tradition.

just do everything to keep the firefighters safe.

instead of a green paint job, give them a forcefield, that makes more sense.