Previous   Next

Are you concerned about catching the swine flu?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Mass. on April 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it can definitely be a threat considering it was in Kansas.”

“No, because my family and I have excellent hygiene and wash our hands often.”

“I am not. I think the (Centers for Disease Control) people are on top of the situation.”

“Not really, I take every supplement in the book.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm only opening my containment suit once a week to dump biosolids.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

“No, because my family and I have excellent hygiene and wash our hands often.”

Look... his glasses are dirty.

deec 5 years, 7 months ago

Scream! Gasp! Panic! Its Lyme Disease..er Legionnaire Disease...I mean SARS..that is to say, Avian flu...no wiat, this year its Swine flu!!!!

Tempest in a teapot, I say.

jafs 5 years, 7 months ago

If you're not concerned about this, you're not paying attention.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 7 months ago

I try to avoid those who are full of biosolids and who are suddenly experts on the topic.... i.e. Marion S. Lynn

Linda Aikins 5 years, 7 months ago

Everywhere there's lots of piggies Living piggy lives You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon

webmocker 5 years, 7 months ago

“Not really, I take every supplement in the book.” — Dinah Lovitch, homemaker, Lawrence

Because supplements are so effective against flu viruses.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

Not at all. I can't run very fast, so I can't catch much of anything.

And remember: if you're an orthodox Jew, it isn't swine flu at all. http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcb_jerusalem/20090427/wl_mcb_jerusalem/jerusalem200904swinefludeemedunkosherinisraelhtml

lawrence_kansas_usa 5 years, 7 months ago

No, I'm not concerned about catching the swine flu.

But I am concerned about how the government is going to respond to it....in the event that it should spread out all over the country---which, at this point, from the looks of things...it probably will.

HalsteadHawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm more concerned abpuit what the gunvernment is going to do to "protect" us

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Swine Flu? Eat more chicken........ No, Bird Flu. Okay, eat more beef......... No, Mad Cow Disease....... Go Vegan? No, tainted products everywhere................ What to do, whatever to do?............

Got it! Everybody continue to stock up on weapons and ammo! The value of my personal collection will continue to rise, and new life will be given to this OTS!

Music_Girl 5 years, 7 months ago

Roe...means we need to stop eating...also we need to stop transportation and kill all the cows or our ozone will collapse. Oh and we need to stop breathing because the air is dirty and full of yuckies! Other than that...feel free to do whatever you want! haha!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 7 months ago

I think this could become a 28 days scenario. A bailout would be in order, that fixes everything.

braden_quinn 5 years, 7 months ago

This entire Swine Flu thing is totally overblown. From a risk assessment stand point you have a higher chance of being killed while driving on I-70 than catching this thing.

friskies25 5 years, 7 months ago

I am not as concerned about the swine flu (don't get me wrong, it is always good to be reminded of general sanitary precautions such as hand-washing...not touching your face or eyes..etc.) as I am about MRSA and the new super TB. Both are now running rampant among the homeless (TB being the more common), a population I work with on a daily basis (I work on a mental health crisis unit). Hospitals are not supposed to send us clients who have active MRSA, but it has happened. It is highly contagious, and here in Florida it recently infected children at schools. It did claim some lives as well. A friend of mine contracted it..and fortunately, survived the ineptitude of doctors, to tell her tale. She does not know where she caught it, being one who also works with the homeless and belongs to a gym.....places where MRSA can be found. TB is now resistant to any antibiotics, so you are pretty much screwed if you get it. Many people working in the mental health, and other health fields my not think about why we get tested for TB yearly. And really, it is amazing, and fortunate, that is has been contained so well, thus far. MRSA, has not been so well contained, unfortunately, and it is something that if caught soon enough can be treated. However, if MRSA is caught too late, it kills. For those of you who do not know, MRSA is a superbug of the STAPH infection family (I am not going to spell out the complete scientific name). Strep throat is a staph infection, for example. MRSA lives on the skin of many people these days, most commonly nurses and other health care workers. This was not always the case. It needs only to get into a cut....i.e. opening in the skin. Also, it can manifest as a sore throat (it's pretty much in then). So, yeah, wash your hands always, use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.

middlemgmt 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm concerned. I have two children one in school and one in daycare. The one in daycare is under 2 and any flu is especially hard on babies. If it hits Lawrence, and schools are closed, it will effect buisnesses. I'm encouraged that most people are recovering but it sounds awful and I don't want anyone in my family including me to go through that.