Previous   Next

Did you go to your high school prom?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on April 27, 2009

Browse the archives

“We don’t have a prom. We were not suppose to talk to each other or look at each other.”

“Yes, I did. I wore a pink dress and a white fake rabbit stole.”

“Yes. I had a boyfriend, and that’s what all the cool kids were doing.”

“Yeah, I went to my prom. We danced to Chicago’s ‘Color My World.’”

Related story

Comments

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

Well for my senior year my prom date was from another town and so the whole time he followed me around like a little puppy. Which wasn't real horrible but when you're standing outside the girls bathroom....it gets a little creepy. It really wasn't the magical night I thought it'd be....darn prom themes..."a walk in the clouds" LIARS!!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 1 month ago

I did. a lovely japanese girl was my date, we had no relationship except acquaintance through student government. she had big braces, I had my disability. I did enjoy the prom, I hope she did.

had dinner at a fancy seafood restaurant on cannery row. breakfast at a simple fun place.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Talk about a fish out of water..... me in a Tux..... we went but it didn't take long to figure out what was not to be.

grammaddy 6 years, 1 month ago

was supposed to... went out and got preggers with my oldest child instead.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Didn't have a prom. We cooked a giant ground sloth and then had mammoth races.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 1 month ago

Yep. I went to four proms during Freshman-Senior.

Fred Vance 6 years, 1 month ago

Isn't the school prom one of the rites of spring????

Music_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes I went my senior year. My date was from another school so I actually went twice that year. My high school prom was pretty sweet as I got to hang out with all my girl friends and dance. His prom on the other hand was nearly a disaster because he apparently thought it was cool to hang all over me and pretend I was his girlfriend when we were only acquaintances. I just politely shoved him back when he got too close and smiled alot...oh well...college dances are way better anyways haha!

Linda Aikins 6 years, 1 month ago

Prospector, you were there too? And, Mr. Dig-For-Gold, we had 44! My freshman year prom was in a school where I had 18.

so HA!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 1 month ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

Didn't have a prom. We cooked a giant ground sloth and then had mammoth races.

oh, you attended prom with the Flintstones Snappy? your prommobile must've been interesting!

vectors for swineflu...how romantic thou art R.I.!

Calliope877 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I went to prom, and it was really lame...

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 1 month ago

Why would someone not go to the prom? I had a lovely dress, the boy came by the house to pick me up and pinned a corsage on my dress. We had little books with ribbons that everyone signed and we kept as a remembrance, along with several other things. I loved it, totally. It's like, the night we tore the goalposts down, things you do remember all your life. Where did the years go, and how did they go so fast?

slowplay 6 years, 1 month ago

Went to 4. 2 in Jr year, 2 in Sr year. Great times.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

Well I talk to one of the guys I went to prom with but it's rare...and the other one I dated for a long time but haven't talked to him since I broke up with him while he was in Iraq........yeah not proud of that one but just know that I would never have done something so mean unless I really thought it couldn't have waited a year.

slowplay 6 years, 1 month ago

Here is a good one. How many of you still talk, or have had some contact with someone you went to a prom with?...

Quite often, I married her.

Acey 6 years, 1 month ago

slowplay (Anonymous) said… "Here is a good one. How many of you still talk, or have had some contact with someone you went to a prom with?…"

My prom date from 51 years ago lives on the coast. I am here. We each have partners. We talk at least once a week. The romance was in envisioning the prom: What to wear? . . .Where to go for dinner first?. . . Whose after party to attend. I still have the prom photo. I even exchange emails with another person in that photo who lives in Tennessee . . .

passionatelibra 6 years, 1 month ago

Irish - I didn't go to prom because I was not socially accepted in the school. Yep, I was one of the outcasts. Sad to say every school has us walking their halls. No matter what we tried or did, we were not accepted.

Besides, from what I knew about proms (which was not much at all), the kids like me would have ended up with pigs blood on us. There was no way I was going to let that happen :oP~

lawrence_kansas_usa 6 years, 1 month ago

No, I did not go to my prom.

Although, at least I had the option to....unlike Annie Lin. If what Annie's saying is true...man!, that's sad.

schula 6 years, 1 month ago

I went to my prom, both jr. & sr. year. I talk to my sr. prom date every once in a while.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

Saw her at my first AA meeting. She was still hot....after all these beers.

password 6 years, 1 month ago

i went - i was prom queen. not sure why though. I don't remember the speech i gave. must have been the cherry vodka and coke. next morning i woke up, on the ground in my best friend's grandmother's yard. LOL. how embarrassing. what a joke prom is.

davidsmom 6 years, 1 month ago

I was not asked, and in that time and place, groups of girls without dates did not go to the fancier dances together like they do now. I like the way it is now. So many kids in high school are not truly in a relationship and don't get a date. Yes, you can go with just a classmate, but a lot of kids don't want to do that. I chaperoned a lot of proms and I wanted at least one of my kids to have the experience of prom, but, although probably all of them could have had dates, each chose to decline. It was kind of a disappointment to me.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 1 month ago

passionatelibra I am so sorry! My comment was way out of line on so many levels. We are all individuals and should be accepted as such. My comment came across as a tad snobby. As long as you are now happy with who you are, that is all that matters now.

passionatelibra 6 years, 1 month ago

Irish - In no way should you apologize. I thought it was a valid question and I gave an answer :o) As you said so eloquently, "We are all individuals and should be accepted as such".

I am still socially awkward, in person, but I am working on it and getting better. I am not completely happy with who I am (life would be boring if I had nothing to strive for) but I am working on it. We would not be who we are today if not for the paths we have walked.

As for your earlier question, I wish I knew where the years went. Maybe then my babies wouldn't have grown up so fast. My youngest is already talking to me about colleges and trade schools. ACK!

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

I played in a rock-and-roll band in high school, and we mostly played for school dances. When prom rolled around, it was like "Oh, wait. I usually get paid for doing these things. They're not going to pay me? It's going to actually cost me money to go to this thing? Forget it." Prom just seemed like unpaid work to me.

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh, what a night... Late in April, 1963... It was everything I'd hoped it'd be... Sweet surrender, what a night!

with thanks to Frankie Valli for a song that will never let me forget that prom...