Previous   Next

What is your favorite aspect of Lawrence?

Browse the archives

“Mount Oread. KU means everything to me. I’m a double graduate from there, and I work for KU Endowment, and it’s just all about ‘The Hill.’”

“Its liberal politics.”

“It’s the diversity of the town: people, philosophy, ideas.”

“There are so many things to do; good shows to see, a lot of good restaurants, and you can basically get anywhere in town within a 10 minute drive.”

Comments

Danimal 4 years, 12 months ago

The unjustified pretentiousness and horrible streets. Seriously, the streets in Monrovia were in better shape. Another favorite of mine is paying nearly 8% sales tax to fund a public transit system that no one rides and (assuming you have to transfer, and lets be honest, you always have to transfer) is often slower than just walking. I would say that Lawrence a microcosm of everything that is good and bad about Kansas somehow impossibly crammed into one city.

couranna1 4 years, 12 months ago

the new homeless shelter at 13th & Mass Right as you hit the famous downtown district hahahahaha Waka 1s everywhere REJOICE

nomansland 4 years, 12 months ago

There's very little to like about Lawrence these days. Glad I left when I did! The town has essentially fallen into big city trappings with more crime, less culture, etc. JoCo West is what it's become. But what I liked (key word here) was the quaint downtown and independent shops and great music scene. Is it just me or does it just seem that theres more crime downtown nowdays. Whenever I check the online edition theres always some random stabbing or shooting somewhere in town. That's not the Lawrence I remember as a kid growing up there.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 12 months ago

"favorite aspect"

... mine?

... of Lawrence?

(what can that possibly mean?)

(I won't be able to sleep, tonight.)

(waitaminit... favorite aspect... unconsciousness... zzzzzzzzzzz....)

RoeDapple 4 years, 12 months ago

The view at night from home, 15 miles from the city limits..........

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 12 months ago

gogoplata - I agree!! I can't make it to the morning workouts now, but I'm sooo ready for this summer.

I love Lawrence!! You can say all the mean things you want but I am very happy to call Lawrence home. Like gnome said above, I wouldn't even know where to start. I believe you make life what it is no matter where you live. I was the 3rd generation to graduate from LHS and my first child graduated from there last year. I just love this time of year b/c I know where the beautiful flowers come up, I know where to go to see awesome sunsets. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!

That's all the, I'll step down of my soapbox. I'm pretty sure there will be many negative comments, but you can't change my mind.

waka1 4 years, 12 months ago

dude the easy access to a little 4:20 yeah man

begin60 4 years, 12 months ago

Ignorance and bigotry pervade here-- absolutely nothing is my favorite in these mean, redneck, ignorant streets, but, hey, that's the plug-stupid reality of lower midwest bigotry. Kindly keep your small minds and destructive ideas of "helpfulness" to yourselves you intellually challenged and less than charming and aware people.

1029 4 years, 12 months ago

I like that HyVee over on Clinton Parkway. That place is nice.

tin 4 years, 12 months ago

Go figure "Liberal Politics" from a college professor. Doing her part to brain wash the youth of america.

ocean 4 years, 12 months ago

it reminds me of the movie 'Pleasantville' but i don't remember a newspaper like LJW in the movie?

sinverguenza 4 years, 12 months ago

donald_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

"they're regular price on Wednesday but you don't have to put up with all the pretentious turds that show up on Thursday for half-price nite!"

Mr. Gilchrist -

I don't know you, but I thank you. I'm going to print your comment, frame it, and hand it right over to my pretentious turd of a coworker who's always going on and on about the freakin' half-price martinis on Thursdays in between talking about all her "fine" dining experiences and high-fashion shoes.

Favorite thing about Lawrence? The people. Most especially the people who pour beer, cook food or enjoy either with me at Free State.

ocean 4 years, 12 months ago

downtown and the KU campus make it the Paris of Kansas!

bobberboy 4 years, 12 months ago

P.S. and the hippies - don't want to forget the hippies.

bobberboy 4 years, 12 months ago

Great Food, atmosphere, young adults. intellectuals, nice downtown shopping and yes the weird people, The street musicians etc. etc. Excellent Indian food, Great Harvest Bread Co. University lifestye. Jayhawkers. to name just a few.

flamingdragon 4 years, 12 months ago

who is deleting all of my posts, and why are they so afraid?

TrooGrit 4 years, 12 months ago

Prentious turds...says he...Sir Don Gilchrist, archenemy of sobriety...why doesn't he just f**k himself, says many...i'd say that too, but my turd retardant is too full...

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 12 months ago

Looks like you've started hitting it a little early today Don!!!

donald_gilchrist 4 years, 12 months ago

Yes I agree, getting blind drunk on dry Beefeater martinis with olives and onions every Wednesday has meant more to me than all of the easy college girls in town. See you tomorrow at the Eldridge bro, they're regular price on Wednesday but you don't have to put up with all the pretentious turds that show up on Thursday for half-price nite!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 12 months ago

Charlie -

If the posters on here are a fair representation of Lawrence, there'd of been riots in the streets already.

Mary Darst 4 years, 12 months ago

downtown !!!! I love to people watch and it's awesome for that. All kinds. I think because it symbolizes somewhere, where everybody fits in and many alternative life styles are acceptable. I did feel it was a big blue dot, but sometimes after reading these threads, I wonder.

TrooGrit 4 years, 12 months ago

Being from Topeka "is" scary...but...being from outer space? Well, that's a breeze in this town :)

Thank you for caring!

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 12 months ago

Wednesday night martini night with my brother! It's been going on for years now, and hopefully will go on for many more.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 12 months ago

My favorite aspect is living close to Lawrence, and coming to town and scaring the bejeezus out of everybody. Just the other day, I went into a bar, and said I was from Topeka, and everyone in the joint hit the floor!

TrooGrit 4 years, 12 months ago

A true gem, Arumer...made me laugh out loud! Too bad none of the truly "educated" masses will get it...they're too busy with the big government "teat" offered them!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 12 months ago

T_O_B, Transparency, thats what I'm talking about...

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years ago

What preebo means is the only decent spring of government money that liberals can drink form in the whole state.

I know what you mean, you take one step outside of town and you are expected to work for living.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

T_O_B. PC was such a 90's fad.
Today it is all about transparency...

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

I don't know which is more hillariously pathetic out of the 5 Percenters... liberals whining about living in Kansas or conservatives whining about living in Lawrence.

Practicality 5 years ago

Correcting this mentality.

Preebo says. . .

"It is the only tolerable locale in Kansas for those of us in the liberal educated elite that somehow ended up in Kansas."

madmike 5 years ago

It's a dot of something all right! POO!

preebo 5 years ago

It is the only tolerable locale in Kansas for those of us in the liberal educated elite that somehow ended up in Kansas. Of the two other college towns I have lived (Boulder, CO., Cambridge, MA) Lawrence is the most conservative - it's essentially a dot of blue floating in a sea of red.

autie 5 years ago

So I just saw a picture of Abdiwahi Abdiqadir Muse. He looks pretty darn happy to be in New York. Coming to America? It is no longer a pirates life for him.

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

A quaint little pub off 6th and Mass.

R_I - How politically incorrect of you. Nowadays, pointing out someone's oversized eyeware is akin to calling them fat or ugly.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

Definitely the bug eyed eyeware.

75x55 5 years ago

"a ten minute drive..."

SO, you're the guy....

autie 5 years ago

Msotlees the peepoles i has got to chnage ideeals with in neewspaypeers. they is funnz too tauk withiz

Donnuts 5 years ago

I would say it was the girls that go to KU but they aren't nice and don't want to be talked to unless you drive a expensive car and daddy has a lot of money you can spend on them.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

there are so many things I love about lawrence, it is impossible to name one!

no, its not the "liberal politics!"

but people here are wonderful. KU, culture, history, downtown, restaurants, the river, oh my, can I do ten?

there are things I beef about: lack of sidewalks, or repair of sidewalks. bad choices of how to spend city money.

I love lawrence and am glad to live here.

and, lawrence's bloggers, too.

Roland Gunslinger 5 years ago

The college girls.

"I get older... they stay the same age."