Previous   Next

What is your favorite aspect of Lawrence?

Browse the archives

“Mount Oread. KU means everything to me. I’m a double graduate from there, and I work for KU Endowment, and it’s just all about ‘The Hill.’”

“Its liberal politics.”

“It’s the diversity of the town: people, philosophy, ideas.”

“There are so many things to do; good shows to see, a lot of good restaurants, and you can basically get anywhere in town within a 10 minute drive.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

there are so many things I love about lawrence, it is impossible to name one!

no, its not the "liberal politics!"

but people here are wonderful. KU, culture, history, downtown, restaurants, the river, oh my, can I do ten?

there are things I beef about: lack of sidewalks, or repair of sidewalks. bad choices of how to spend city money.

I love lawrence and am glad to live here.

and, lawrence's bloggers, too.

preebo 6 years, 4 months ago

It is the only tolerable locale in Kansas for those of us in the liberal educated elite that somehow ended up in Kansas. Of the two other college towns I have lived (Boulder, CO., Cambridge, MA) Lawrence is the most conservative - it's essentially a dot of blue floating in a sea of red.

Practicality 6 years, 4 months ago

Correcting this mentality.

Preebo says. . .

"It is the only tolerable locale in Kansas for those of us in the liberal educated elite that somehow ended up in Kansas."

TopJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

My favorite aspect is living close to Lawrence, and coming to town and scaring the bejeezus out of everybody. Just the other day, I went into a bar, and said I was from Topeka, and everyone in the joint hit the floor!

Mary Darst 6 years, 4 months ago

downtown !!!! I love to people watch and it's awesome for that. All kinds. I think because it symbolizes somewhere, where everybody fits in and many alternative life styles are acceptable. I did feel it was a big blue dot, but sometimes after reading these threads, I wonder.

sinverguenza 6 years, 4 months ago

donald_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

"they're regular price on Wednesday but you don't have to put up with all the pretentious turds that show up on Thursday for half-price nite!"

Mr. Gilchrist -

I don't know you, but I thank you. I'm going to print your comment, frame it, and hand it right over to my pretentious turd of a coworker who's always going on and on about the freakin' half-price martinis on Thursdays in between talking about all her "fine" dining experiences and high-fashion shoes.

Favorite thing about Lawrence? The people. Most especially the people who pour beer, cook food or enjoy either with me at Free State.

tin 6 years, 4 months ago

Go figure "Liberal Politics" from a college professor. Doing her part to brain wash the youth of america.

1029 6 years, 4 months ago

I like that HyVee over on Clinton Parkway. That place is nice.

begin60 6 years, 4 months ago

Ignorance and bigotry pervade here-- absolutely nothing is my favorite in these mean, redneck, ignorant streets, but, hey, that's the plug-stupid reality of lower midwest bigotry. Kindly keep your small minds and destructive ideas of "helpfulness" to yourselves you intellually challenged and less than charming and aware people.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 4 months ago

gogoplata - I agree!! I can't make it to the morning workouts now, but I'm sooo ready for this summer.

I love Lawrence!! You can say all the mean things you want but I am very happy to call Lawrence home. Like gnome said above, I wouldn't even know where to start. I believe you make life what it is no matter where you live. I was the 3rd generation to graduate from LHS and my first child graduated from there last year. I just love this time of year b/c I know where the beautiful flowers come up, I know where to go to see awesome sunsets. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!

That's all the, I'll step down of my soapbox. I'm pretty sure there will be many negative comments, but you can't change my mind.

RoeDapple 6 years, 4 months ago

The view at night from home, 15 miles from the city limits..........

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

"favorite aspect"

... mine?

... of Lawrence?

(what can that possibly mean?)

(I won't be able to sleep, tonight.)

(waitaminit... favorite aspect... unconsciousness... zzzzzzzzzzz....)

Doug Fisher 6 years, 4 months ago

There's very little to like about Lawrence these days. Glad I left when I did! The town has essentially fallen into big city trappings with more crime, less culture, etc. JoCo West is what it's become. But what I liked (key word here) was the quaint downtown and independent shops and great music scene. Is it just me or does it just seem that theres more crime downtown nowdays. Whenever I check the online edition theres always some random stabbing or shooting somewhere in town. That's not the Lawrence I remember as a kid growing up there.

Danimal 6 years, 4 months ago

The unjustified pretentiousness and horrible streets. Seriously, the streets in Monrovia were in better shape. Another favorite of mine is paying nearly 8% sales tax to fund a public transit system that no one rides and (assuming you have to transfer, and lets be honest, you always have to transfer) is often slower than just walking. I would say that Lawrence a microcosm of everything that is good and bad about Kansas somehow impossibly crammed into one city.