Previous   Next

Do people care as much about the environment today as they did when Earth Day started?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think that they are trying to. Everyone is trying to go green.”

“I think so, especially in the last four years. The buzzword is ‘green.’”

“Yes, I think they do. People are still coming up with creative ways to lessen their impact on the environment.”

“I think they care more about it now. They are more educated, and because of gas prices, there is more awareness.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

oh sure they are caring as much now.

when earth day started some of the same people who worship at the idol of manmade global warming [hoax] now, then were worried about "global cooling" and "pollution winter." made the covers of newsweek and time if I remember right.

"green" is the buzzword, but it is fake. "plant a tree" to asuage western carbon guilt, you often add to third world famine and increase their food prices. that tree farm takes people resources and water that otherwise could raise food or an export crop!

much like how ethanol led to worsening famine, and quadruppled the price of a corn tortilla in mexico.

AlGore is not a scientist, and he is profiting from this scam.

the people pushing the manmade global warming religion do not care about the human cost. they don't care that electricity will get far more expensive under "cap and trade," Obama admitted this himself.

yes I care about the environment and am not propollution. but today things are getting crazy.

jonas_opines 6 years, 3 months ago

Careful gnome, your news-source homogeneity is showing.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm gonna have blackened sea kitten for lunch. Who's with me?

gccs14r 6 years, 3 months ago

I saw a girl yesterday toss a styrofoam cup out of the window of her minivan at 19th and Haskell. Some people just don't get it.

canyon_wren 6 years, 3 months ago

I tend to agree with gnome. Unfortunately, everything is "hype" to such an extent that the general public sees everything as a "new fad" and winds up fatigued with the whole thing. But there are always people out there who want very badly to embrace the latest popular cause and are blind to any reasonable approaches to it. Those same people are usually scornful of anything that smacks of religious overtones, yet are just as gullible in their "worship" of people like Al Gore as they accuse people of faith of being.

I do think that the public, as a whole, is growing more conscious of the wisdom of recycling and cutting down on personal pollution, which is a good thing--but most people have enough sense not to go overboard about it and fall for the drivel from all the latest environmental gurus.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes the people do give a damn. Local,state and DC politicians talk a lot about it but pay only lip service to voters concerns. Yes they keep talking but are not strong on follow up. Just more talk to keep us appeased.

Lawrence is not as green as some think. It's mostly talk.

As the class of 2012 heads off to university this fall and new high-school seniors start the admissions process, some may wonder if their college of choice fits with their own environmental ideals.

Recently, the Princeton Review added a green rating to its annual ranking of the best colleges. This score measures how "environmentally friendly, responsible, and committed the institutions are."

The schools that scored 99 (out of 100) are:

* Arizona State University, Tempe
* Bates College
* Binghamton University
* College of the Atlantic
* Emory University
* Georgia Institute of Technology
* Harvard University
* University of New Hampshire
* University of Oregon
* University of Washington
* Yale University

The complete list is in the 2009 editions of three Princeton Review college books.

But what really makes for a "green college"? Different organizations have their own criteria, so if the environment is an important factor in where you'll be spending the next four+ years (and a boatload of money), compare lists and do more research.

For two years, the independent Sustainable Endowments Institute has published a Green Report Card. The full report is available as a PDF online, and it evaluates 200 public and private universities.

The Green Report Card looks at more than just green buildings and recycling. It asks how the schools are using their substantial endowments to support sustainable efforts and fight climate change.

Overall college sustainability leaders on the report card include:

* Carleton College
* Dartmouth College
* Harvard University
* Middlebury College
* University of Washington
* University of Virginia

Check out the complete report card for more high-ranking green schools. http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/198/how-green-is-your-college.html

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

I have no idea what "people" are doing. I hate the word green, it turns the whole thing into a fad. I think the whole idea is silly when you get right down to it. On earth day, I am going to go out and jump up and down on it.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 3 months ago

I know what I wrote on another thread about the subject. The winds go around the earth, the water flows around the earth. They don't clean the refuse up they just redistribute it. To me being neat and tidy is everything. I believe in being clean, not green. Hey, I'm a poet, don't you know it!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

I think people care as much or more about environmentalism, but that's not necessarily the same thing as caring about the environment.

gphawk89 6 years, 3 months ago

I do. I recycle. Always have. But I'm sick of the word "green" and the way-overblown, politically-correct fad surrounding it. Canyon_wren could not have said it better.

classclown 6 years, 3 months ago

I honestly think the majority care only enough to be seen as caring. Seeing how most folks like to be part of a clique that's in vogue, the appearance of caring about it is more important than doing anything about it. So they do the bare minimum they can get away with in order to claim they're for the environment.

classclown 6 years, 3 months ago

If I ride my bicycle to the same place as I did yesterday, can I claim that I recycle?

classclown 6 years, 3 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

When the heck IS eath day, I thought it was the 22nd, not today.

=======================================

You are correct. It is not today and it certainly wasn't Saturday. These are the the types of folks I referenced earlier. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/apr...

They care so much they couldn't even have their celebration on the appropriate day. Most of them were just concerned with being seen there. Nothing more.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

sorry Jonas, no soap. you fail to refute one item in my post.
AlGore's "inconvenient truth" now if it is shown in Britain must be accompanied with ten or twelve disclaimers.

the "global cooling" "pollution winter" scare, mostly 1977, did happen.

we could have gas cheaper, electricity cheaper, were it not for the greenie wheenies.

viewfromahill 6 years, 3 months ago

Earth "Day?"

The need to designate only one of 365.2422 would seem to imply a decrement in caring.

viewfromahill 6 years, 3 months ago

hmm... only four decimal places. guilty.