Previous   Next

Which KU recruit do you prefer: Stephenson or Henry?

Browse the archives

“It’s a coin flip because we’re going to be so strong next year … with Aldrich and Sherron both staying.”

“Henry. I just think he’s a good player and another asset to KU basketball.”

“I got to go with Stephenson. Henry is going to stick around for one year, and Stephenson — we might get more use out of him.”

“Stephenson. … I just read a few things on KUSports.com and he seemed like the better of the two.”

Comments

greenworld 4 years, 12 months ago

I would have to say Henry as he wants to come to Ku, I heard when Stephenson heard that the Henry's might be coming to Ku he got all jealous and said he would love to play for K-state or MU and beat us. If this is true that doesnt sound like a guy that wants to come hear.

penguin 4 years, 12 months ago

btw I think the USA today report you are reading is from last week. He did visit Born Ready last weekend in NYC.

penguin 4 years, 12 months ago

hmmm...I think I trust the reporting of of Shay Wildeboor more than USA Today. The Henry's are in NYC for the Jordan Classic. My point was that I think the deal is being set that if X does not want to commit that Born Ready will be our guy.

I think that the timing of the trip is one of good convenience b/c that way Self can hit them both up.

Who knows and I will be sitting by awaiting the first to sign their LOI and have it faxed into the NCAA offices.

Satirical 4 years, 12 months ago

penguin...

USA Today says Self it traveling to New York to meet with Stephenson, which makes more sense because Stephenson lives there.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 12 months ago

I agree with the penguin. We are both tired of the recruiting story, and we both trust Self. I have wanted Stephenson from a ways back, but if Self is on his way to New York to talk to the Henry's and JSlant can also be trusted, which they can be, then it might be a done deal. Are you ready for some football!

penguin 4 years, 12 months ago

Jayhawk Slant is reporting that Self is flying the NY now to meet with the Henry's. I am guessing that he comes home with a committment from one of these kids.

Wall is not going to the draft. He promised his father on his death bed that he would go to college (but admitted he never specified that he would graduate). However, Wall's list of interested programs is bigger than most conferences...so I would not expect a quick decision from him.

Bill Self is a guy who can be trusted...so just let him close the deal on one of these boys and let's get ready for football. This drama has been a nice distraction, but I am ready for it to end.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 12 months ago

Prospector, When does a painter become a “senior painter”?

My guess would be when they start painting 12th graders and golfers over 50. (ouch)

Satirical 4 years, 12 months ago

John Wall would be great, but I hear he is eligible to go straight to the draft, which he might do. Also, we have a highly rated point guard coming in as a freshman.

What this team needs this year is a strong 3 guard. I would prefer X, but I would be happy with either one.

jonas_opines 4 years, 12 months ago

Aren't they both just shooting guards? We should go for Wall. Once Sherron's gone we don't have a really good replacement point-guard.

/or rather, whichever Self goes for. He knows a deal more about coaching and recruiting that I, despite my full 2 seasons in Dynasty Mode on my PS3 NCAA 2009 game.

beatrice 4 years, 12 months ago

Copperhead.

Besides, as we learned in the arguments over Perkins raise, the sports program isn't really part of KU, they just perform using the same jayhawk logo. So this really should be about an Athletic Department's recruit, not KU's recruit.

On second thought, make that an Ad Astra.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 12 months ago

Bring in Henry!

Not only do I not want to see Lance Stephenson in a KU jersey, but I don't even want this guy coming to Lawrence!

We don't need another J.R. Giddens!

wysiwyg69 4 years, 12 months ago

Hey Rick, does this mean you took the hallmark early buy-out, or are you on long term vto.

prospector 4 years, 12 months ago

Bob, kind of like here?

So we have to make it a guessing game like Dave Klamet does. Guess where the pictures were taken?

How does one "semi-retired"? Put new wheels on one side of the car?

When does a painter become a "senior painter"?

Leprechaunking13 4 years, 12 months ago

Either or, but of course X comes with a non scholarship player also that can help impact. We get one Henry, we get two. CJ is not a one and doner, and will be a good asset after Xavier leaves. Either way it takes pressure off our pure shooters that have been playing the 3, and they can come in to just shoot 3's.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 12 months ago

I wouldn't base any opinion of those two on an All-Star game. Everybody just screws around in those things.

nobody1793 4 years, 12 months ago

"Seriously no transition D in the McD's game?"

You obviously caught the joke.

PapaB 4 years, 12 months ago

They guarded eachother when they were in McD's game too. Stephenson tried to take X off the dribble, messed up, fell down, and gave the ball right to Henry for an easy fast break. Not good and obvious difference in ability.

Stephenson is very athletic, but X's skills stood out over everyone as very refined.

PapaB 4 years, 12 months ago

If the McDonald's Game is any indicator, Stephenson is a punk. He turned the ball over with horrible decisions and complained a lot to the refs for being called on obvious fouls he committed. Stephenson picked up almost all his points on garbage plays (put-backs and broken plays that result in layups).

Henry has a great 3-point shot, rarely turns it over, plays a team game, and has a good attitude,

Pretty obvious to me. Stephenson would be a cancer to the team.

penguin 4 years, 12 months ago

Seriously no transition D in the McD's game? This is an all-star game for high school kids trying to showcase their offensive talents. If you have ever watched one of those games...you would see no one bothers to play D.

I am torn between the two. I guess it just depends on the day and what quote they have taken for a ride that day from X or Born Ready. I think either would help us out a great deal and would provide the wing support/3rd scoring option that would have helped us this year.

Overall, X is a good choice because of the KU legacy status. However, Born Ready is from New York, New York...and that would be awesome to hear in the Fieldhouse again. Either way I hope we just get one or the other.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 12 months ago

I won't be heartbroken if neither choose KU. They both seem to be prima donna babies. I'm not a big fan of one and doners.

nobody1793 4 years, 12 months ago

If the McDonalds All-American game is any indication, they both suck at transition-D.

prospector 4 years, 12 months ago

This is like asking me which is best, Oatmeal Stout or Copperhead.

biggunz 4 years, 12 months ago

They already have Withey, the Morris twins, and Robinson coming in. I'd take Stephenson. The Henry bros don't want to play here.

slowplay 4 years, 12 months ago

Neither. Look for a mid tier big man that can work with Manning for a year to replace Cole.

Lee Eldridge 4 years, 12 months ago

Stephenson appears to have some baggage if you believe the reports floating around the world of basketball. Some concerns about his attitude and desire to be a team player. Henry appears to be the better player and have the better attitude. Both think they'll be one-and-done, but so did Darrel Arthur and Brandon Rush. My vote is for the Henry brothers to come to KU! Not that my vote matters :)