Previous   Next

Do you have any interest in touching the moon rock at KU?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on April 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“No. I really don’t have time since I retired.”

“I do have some interest. … It sounds interesting.”

“Absolutely, I’m very connected with the moon. I consider myself a moon mama.”

“No. If you’ve seen a rock, you’ve pretty much seen them all.”

Related story

Comments

viewfromahill 5 years, 8 months ago

“No. I really don’t have time since I retired.”

,;-D

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

No, not at all. Seen them before. Are these new?

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I've got plenty of time, since I'm not retired, but I've already touched one at the Smithsonian. Now if this one is different, say, for instance, oil shale, then I would be interested.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

I am with Blue, you just never know where that thing has been. Also, those moonigans.... they don't have any water. I'll stick to fishing, thank you very much.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh wait, I was answering the question from yesterday.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas- thanks for helping me spill coffee on the ol keyboard again. (put things off a little bit, do you)

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

mmmmmmmmm, pancakes...but wouldn't a french contingent of explorers herald the moon to be crepes instead? just wondering...

nah, don't wanna touch a moon rock; am too busy dealing with moonbats all day to get away.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

"I have it on good authority that a French contingent of explorers landed on the moon in 1865."

Did they surrender immediately after they landed?

As to the question ... it sounds like they're referencing some sort of drug trip. "Have you touched the moon rock?" "Yeah, man, and it was craaaaaaazy!"

OzChicklet 5 years, 8 months ago

Donnuts (Anonymous) says…

moon mama?

Anyway, I would like to see it.

Moon mama? Did they quote her right?

Indeed, they did!

weatherguy48 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm tellin ya, with all of these trains going through and these basses being stolen among the mass purchasing of earrings, along with something about Eudora....I don't think a moon rock even warrants touching at this point.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 8 months ago

OK, I went to the exhibit and, no, it's nothing spectacular. It's just a rock........EXCEPT IT CAME FROM THE FREAKIN' MOON! Where's your sense of wonder, the marveling at the accomplishment of will, the courage of those who ventured beyond the bonds of Earth. "It's just a rock." With that kind of attitude humanity won't accomplish anything.

Angel Gillaspie 5 years, 8 months ago

Kisha, it's not just ANY rock. Dude, it's from the MOON. Since I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to visit outer space in my life time, I would really like to see it myself. Think I'll stop by on my way home from work...

treesplease 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes they quoted her right. :) Amy is absolutely a moon mama!!!

Angel Gillaspie 5 years, 8 months ago

sorry, KISHI, spelled your name wrong. please forgive me.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 8 months ago

I know it's already been said, but Okie is friggin' awesome. Great response! Made me smile...

hawkofku 5 years, 8 months ago

1) doesn't have time because he is retired 2) has interest because it sounds interesting 3) is connected with the moon because she is a moon mama

best responses ever! thanks for making my day.

nobody1793 5 years, 8 months ago

That's no moon....it's a space station.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow. The censorship on my posts is getting remarkably tight these days.

It seems to me perfectly appropriate to talk about tea bags when discussing an afternoon of tea with a Senator, is it not? In no way -- and I mean in NO WAY -- did I use profane language or make an ad hominem attack on anyone. The type of event Autie refered to involving Senator Brownback is where the Senator is taking part in something in which the Senator self-identifies as a "teabagger."

In this instance, the acceptable definition of "teabagger" is -- and I quote from the highly respected Urban dictionary -- "A conservative activist who is so ignorant that they protest against tax cuts (that benefit them) by throwing tea into a river."

In other words, if the acceptable noun is "teabagger," then it should also be used appropriatly as a verb. Kind of like saying you are going "antiqueing." What should someone be called who takes part in such a demonstration against taxes if not a "teabagger"?

So why shouldn't it be acceptable for me to ask Autie to toss tea in the river with a Senator?

It's not like I asked strangers on the street if they were going to touch someone's "moon rocks." Geez.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry about that TOB. I'm sure your intentions were as clean as mine. Despite multiple meanings, some people can only see the filth in some words. Sad, really.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Y.o.p.i.p., or simply "yopip," if you just want to be quick with it.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

God only knows what the marsians have been doing on that rock before we picked it up, I mean, does anybody check them marsians? do they wash their hands? no, of course not. never once in the Marsian Chronicles was handwashing even mentioned, so there you go. now, as to touching that rock, I don't think so. besides, Capricorn I proved it was fake.

wasn't james Browlin in that movie, did it prepare him for a life commonlaw married to Barbara Streisand? maybe he uses moon rocks to cope with being married to her? do they eminate a special mental calmness force?

I just don't know. but really, the moon rock is here, I think I'd rather shake hands with an astronaut or astronette [real word].
and why is the moon rock relegated to west campus? it isn't worth Perkins. you could sweep up the gold dust at KUAC and buy a hundred moon rocks. if its such a big deal, put it at the Kansas Union I say. but have some astronettes there too.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

If I touch that rock, I might become like Gigantica in that new movie. I'm worried that I won't fit into my house anymore. Jean shopping would be horrible. No! I'm not touching any rock!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

Sunflower-sue=gigantica! hey, that's exciting. or do you remember the old sci/fi movie: "the fifty-foot woman?" oddly, when she grew her clothes grew with her and didn't rip! otherwise, she'd have been "the fifty-foot nude woman!"