Previous   Next

Do you know anyone who doesn’t have health insurance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 8, 2009

Browse the archives

“I teach in the south side of Chicago, so most of my students don’t have health insurance.”

“No, I do not.”

“Me. I had it, but when I moved to KU, it didn’t cover in Kansas, and I haven’t called to have it switched yet.”

“Me. I think I’m never gonna get sick.”

Related story

Comments

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 2 months ago

Our family doesn't. Its mortgage, car, food, utilities or insurance

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

I have health insurance but as they say " if you use it you lose it"

grammaddy 6 years, 2 months ago

Me. For what it would cost me, I'd rather put that money in the bank to have it when I need it. There's no way I would spend $3000 a year on health care, I haven't had a reason to see a doctor in over 20 years. That's enough savings to buy a new hybrid!!

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 2 months ago

Harley, Thanks for your thoughts. He'll be very much missed. And, if you missed it and are interested, here's his obituary. It was entirely unexpected.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

think_about_it 6 years, 2 months ago

But you do have cell phones, ipods, cable on more than one TV, car payments and eat out all of the time. Right Spacy?

Priorities and self reliance seem like a thing of the past.

samsnewplace 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes I do. There is an age gap between what mom and dad can cover on their college student and until grad school is completed and they are working full-time. Some fortunate one's can buy it from an agent to tide them over if it is a short-period of time, others may have a year or so they just have to pray for the best. Rent, bills and groceries, as well as books and tuition come first.

samsnewplace 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes I do. There is an age gap between what mom and dad can cover on their college student's health insurance and until grad school is completed and they are working full-time. Some fortunate one's can buy it from an agent to tide them over if it is a short-period of time, others may have a year or so they just have to pray for the best. Rent, bills and groceries, as well as books and tuition come first.

average 6 years, 2 months ago

I always have had some insurance. But, as xbusguy notes, I could have been dropped from it at the drop of a hat, the rates could have gone stratospheric at any given time, and if I had been diagnosed with some 'condition', no one would ever have to cover me again.

I guess it's nice from the 'hit by a bus' perspective. But, not wanting to get hit with the "you've got a condition" train, I haven't seen a doctor in fifteen years, and don't expect I will any time soon.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

My daughter is between jobs and right now has none. We've put it as a priority to have all kinds of insurance, but as was pointed out, there are times when it just slips up on you, and COBRA was too expensive.

I'm also sorry to hear about Mike Belt!

Ceallach 6 years, 2 months ago

I do know people who do not have health insurance. Students need to check out the insurance available to them at KU. The $998.00 annual charge is a very good deal.

We should also remember that medical treatment (with or without insurance) is available at hospital emergency rooms.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

I guess that depends on whether you would say I know myself. So ... I might know somebody who doesn't have health insurance. Maybe.

olmsted78 6 years, 2 months ago

do you know anyone WITH health insurance??

Brandon Weber 6 years, 2 months ago

The question is do you know people with health insurance but it's basically useless. My wife had some blood work done and Humana covered $100, our bill $500. We pay $300 a month for a $2500 deductible coverage for just my wife. INSANE!! Not to mention if you want to have kids, you might as well start making payments now to the hospital because insurance don't cover it unless you want to spent $1000 a month for one to two years in advance. America is the best in world, whatever. People that say their insurance is great have never used it or work for a company that hasn't made cuts yet.

Danimal 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't have health insurance, I rely on the VA for all my health care. So if I have a problem I call them and wait 3-4 months for my appointment.

nouseforaname 6 years, 2 months ago

There are seriously people out there that don't know anyone without health insurance? I guess that's the difference between upper-class and middle-class.

Neither my husband or I have health insurance (or any of our friends), mainly because we're too poor to have it (and no, we don't have television or a cell phone. We have internet because that's an imperative in today's world). Thankfully, any medical stuff that I need to have done (femmy things) is free or heavily reduced through the county. But our main reasoning is: What's the point of having health insurance if it doesn't cover basic needs like dental and eye-sight? Those are the doctors that we visit the most.

And going to the ER is crazy expensive. Yeah, they have to treat you, but be prepared to kiss your bank account good-bye afterwords.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Multi, the new local currency was a big item on one of the Detroit tv news broadcasts last night. I don't know if it'll really help the city, but I guess it's worth a shot. I don't think I live close enough to Detroit to ever see the currency, so it won't really affect me.

momofk 6 years, 2 months ago

I know more ppl that don't have health insurance than ones that do. It's not worth the expense for most. Food and housing is more important. I've never heard of a homeless person with health insurance. The cost of most independent insurance plans is more than what most pay for their mortgage or rent.

viewfromahill 6 years, 2 months ago

Apparently, most people who have health insurance don't have health insurance.

deskboy04 6 years, 2 months ago

I think that students can get it for a reasonable rate.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes what the Dems in Wash. and the liberals in Lawrence don't want you to know is that a lot of people choose not to buy health ins. because they don't want to spend the money, and they know the hospital will write it off, or the Gov. will have to pay for it. It is a lowlife thing to do, but there you have it. I have a brother who is self-employed, makes over $100,000 a yr. and, you guessed it, he chose not to buy it. And yes, he is a low life.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

nousefroaname You are a slacker. Let us pay.
And if you go to the ER, because you don't have ins. You should kiss your bank account goodbye, You prove my point, along with several other people on here.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

the internet is imperative in today's society? Really? How so? Paying your health bills is more so.