Previous   Next

What is your favorite first date movie?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on April 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“‘Knocked Up’ or anything with Seth Rogan.”

“‘American Pie.’ It’s pretty hilarious —good characters.”

“‘Sleepless in Seattle.’ It’s a classic — never gets old.”

“‘Legend’ with Will Smith because of the action, and he is my favorite actor.”

Comments

shadowbox66044 6 years, 1 month ago

Religulous, she was a hard core christian, I never got the memo! oops!

trinity 6 years, 1 month ago

heh, blue...not my "favorite" first date movie, but i can remember a first date with a fella when i was in high school; we went to the local drive-in. "the exorcist" was playing. oy.

walter_sobchak 6 years, 1 month ago

Bob- you wouldn't have a first date, anonymous loser

Julie Craig 6 years, 1 month ago

Aurora and Jay should get together. Any movie with graphic sex would be awkward to me on a first date. Times have changed, but that's just wrong. I agree with Bob and autie.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 1 month ago

No chick flick or horror movie give me a shoot em up blow them up kinda movie. Resident evil, Starwars, underworld, jason stateman movie any of them, The Bourne movies those are date movies.

missmia 6 years, 1 month ago

for the record- it's spelled Rogen, not Rogan

webmocker 6 years, 1 month ago

It's a tie between Casablanca and Deliverance.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 1 month ago

Roadhouse. Well written, terrific acting. Trucks with big tires. Something for everyone.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, in March you can always watch Duke fail to play to their seeding, eh Walter?

If we're going to be home (and since most of these response movies' theatre runs ended much time ago, I guess we are) I'd have to say that a good B movie is great, for a personal MST3K experience. Anything by Troma does the trick, but you have to have that type of person with you to enjoy it.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

Legend and American Pie are "date" movies?

Enjoy your celibacy, dudes!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

"I'm sure the UN will come out with some baloney this afternoon to make itself look tough."

You just described every single day of operations at the UN.

Anyway ... yeah, I'm not sure I'd choose a movie as a first date. And if I did -- which I probably wouldn't -- it most certainly wouldn't be a Seth Rogen movie.

Bassetlover 6 years, 1 month ago

Jery Maguire or When Harry Met Sally....classic!

Years ago, went on my first blind date to a movie called "Nothing in Common" with Tom Hanks. It was to be a harbinger of that relationship, unfortunately.

Rae Hudspeth 6 years, 1 month ago

Hitman Transporter 3 (same plot, slightly different story) 13th Warrior

Nothing like an adrenaline rush and imminent death scenes to get the old hormones rushing about. ;)

I'd worry about someone who wanted to see a romantic comedy on the first date... too squishy.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

”' then do you think that “On Golden Blonde” or “Pulp Friction” be too presumptuous?'”

"Eh, you'll find out pretty quickly how the date is going to turn out."

Which brings us back to Taxi Driver. A similar plan didn't work all to well for Travis, now did it?

Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen is the best date imaginable. Or maybe Night of the Living Dead. Guess it depends on the mood.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

best date movie imaginable, that is. The best dates don't include films.

Other good date films: Eraserhead would be good too, as would Enchanted April.

Bonus question -- favorite film of all time? Mine is All That Jazz with Roy Scheider. Great story, acting, music, dance, and it introduces Jessica Lange as Death. Great flick.

maxcrabb 6 years, 1 month ago

favorite

Chinatown and Dr. Strangelove tied for first.

Date movie?

Requiem for a Dream, duh.

conservativepunker 6 years, 1 month ago

"Forbidden Zone" If she can handle the twisted humor and bizarre characters, she's a winner!

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

Probably want to go to a comedy for a first date movie.
Went to '9 to 5" on one first date. That was pretty good.
Dramas might be too intense for a date movie. Scary movies may not be bad, because then you have an excuse for grabbing your date's arm. Aww, gave away the secret.

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

"Tin Cup." No kidding.

For the guys: golf and Renee Russo.

For the gals: romance, Kevin Costner, Don Johnson, and an opportunity to salvage a damaged guy

For everybody: comedy by Cheech Marin, and "throwing it all away on one grand gesture" almost like Lawrence of Arabia. Well almost....

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

Screw a movie. Go to a comedy show. Not only do you get to drink, they usually require you to!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

bea, All that Jazz is one of my favorite movies. I've never understood why it gets so little respect.

Wages of Fear is another great date movie.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

maxc, I think of Requiem for a Dream as more of a Mother's Day movie.

snap, glad to see we have something in common. ;~)

Brazil, another great film.

zikzak 6 years, 1 month ago

My husband took me to the movie Tombstone. It was a wonderful choice as I can't stand "chick flicks". He's was a keeper from that point on :)

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

Py...:

I've been married for a long time too, but can I have a sort of virtual platonic date with you? I love Shaun of the Dead.

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

autie - I bait my own hooks and gut my own fish.

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

Hmmmm, I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to try moose meat. I think I need to go to Cabela's.

rumor_man 6 years, 1 month ago

Saving Private Ryan

Chicks dig the first 20 minutes.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Any live-action movie with a penguin is aces in my book. Double that if the penguin talks. Double again if Helena Bonham Carter is also in the movie.

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

How about "The Day After"? Yeah, I know the whole world gets nuked, but at least it's set in Lawrence. If not that, how about "Carnival of Souls"? Not specifically set in Lawrence, but filmed here. You can still recognize some of the buildings like the Masonic Lodge. And that Candace Hilligoss, now she was hot!

Danimal 6 years, 1 month ago

I went to movie with a woman on a first date one time and it had a fairly graphic rape scene in it that I didn't know about; it was really awkward. Apparently she knew about it in advance. Never went on another date but we became friends.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

What is your favorite first date movie?

The time I really did have a date..... what was it.... HOME Alone.

viewfromahill 6 years, 1 month ago

Favorite first date movie... the one in which we're reflected in the darkened TV screen.

... second date... third date... carbon date....

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, enough debate. The only real answer is:

Casablanca

It has it all: duty, loyalty, hypocrisy, unrequited love, great song, great costumes, Nazis, and 90% of the best lines in the entire history of movies.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 1 month ago

Problem Child. Went to see it in, was it, '85? with someone I wish I hadn't let get away.

Jonathan Becker 6 years, 1 month ago

Un chien andalou. It's 16 minutes long and after seeing those images, you'll know whether she's a keeper . . . .

Tom McCune 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, how about "Metropolis"?

It's a silent movie, so you can talk while it runs. If you have never seen it, you should. It is really quite amazing.