Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay a fee to use Lawrence Parks and Recreation facilities?

Asked at the Community Building, 115 W. 11th St. on April 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“No. I believe that the facility should be free to everyone. ”

“No. That would take away from the convenience of it.”

“Yes, because it’s a valuable resource, and it’s worth paying for. If I used a private facility, I would have to pay a lot more.”

“It depends on the fee. If it was cheaper than a (commercial) rec center and I knew that it was going to something that would benefit the community, I would like that.”

Comments

chargdup 6 years, 1 month ago

Napoleon_Dynomite (Anonymous) says… No. I pay taxes for that. We just raised the city tax. So, H___ No!

I see what you're saying, except that the sales tax that passed is to pay for streets, transit and other infrastructure items.

canyon_wren 6 years, 1 month ago

Charging a fee for those facilities makes it harder on people who are struggling already and will result in the use of the facilities largely by the more well-to-do, which is unfair. It seems like the fact that the City is even considering this scenario makes it obvious that they either have providing more in the way of parks and recreation than was "fiscally sound," in the first place or are not managing their budget needs well. This is not the time to impose more of a burden on the residents.

preebo 6 years, 1 month ago

I am in agreement. If we are going to move to a fee based financing structure then they should either receive less tax revenue or be cut off entirely. I find extremely in poor planning on the part of the City Manager and the Commission to both finance parks and rec at the current revenue stream as well as charging fees.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

"I see what you're saying, except that the sales tax that passed is to pay for streets, transit..."

How do the T supporters feel about the T now? You have your funding for the empty buses going around pointlessly in circles, but not enough money for facilities that are used a lot, and used by people of all walks of life in Lawrence.

So... do the liberals want to raise sales taxes again, or just admit that we can't afford every socially concious program we would like to fund? One of those two things now has to happen.

beawolf 6 years, 1 month ago

"You have your funding for the empty buses going around pointlessly in circles,".....

You are an idiot. I ride the bus regularly and at times they are almost filled. Peddle your crap elsewhere.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

"I ride the bus regularly and at times they are almost filled. "

Peak times. I see these buses a lot, and it's clear that they are largely unused. I stand by my statement.

Beawolf: what's your response to my question? Is there a point where you give up on over-idealistic goals of buses, homeless shelters, arts programs, free wi-fi, etc, etc., or do you propose that we go ahead and bump our sales taxes to 13% and get it over with?

Even if I'm wrong and the busses are very popular, the fact still remains that we will never see a T that is self-sustaining, and in a city where we "leave no agenda behind", we need to gain some perspective.

Can you deny that a greater number of people would benefit from moving the T funds to parks and rec?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Taxpayers should be questioning the multi million dollar athletic project under way at Clinton Lake that basically duplicates the USD 497 multi-million dollar athletic project???

Is Clinton Lake area within walking or biking distance to the far greater majority of Lawrence taxpayers?

HermioneElliott 6 years, 1 month ago

I_Bejewel 6 years, 1 month ago

Which Parks and Rec facilities are we talking about? I have two sons playing baseball this spring and just wrote a check to them for $140 to cover that. Doesn't that count? Am I not already paying to use their facilities?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

If you're not willing to pay a fee to use it, then you're willing to shut it down. I don't know what you all are complaining about; fees for these types of services are neither uncommon nor unreasonable.

Kat Christian 6 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely NO. I already pay taxes that go to fund this.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

TOB, you could be the head writer on the new "CSI, Eudora" show.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

Hermoine's constant string of reverse racism/stereotyping/profiling are getting old. We get it: you hate old white people. Interesting? Only if you want it to be. I find it more interesting that you can deduce someone's personal habits by their skin color and age.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

HermioneElliott (Anonymous) says…

"The two old white people voted yes. I bet they will never use it. The two people of color voted no. Interesting."

Why, why, WHY? It never dawned on me what color the people were until you mentioned it! YOU are a RACIST! Every article the LJW prints with pictures or reference to race YOU make an issue of. Racism goes both ways, Hermi/Cleo! How do you expect racism to ever stop with people like YOU making it am issue every time you open your face! You have mentioned that your child is bi-racial. Is she embarrassed by your constant rant of this issue? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure you have made every effort to poison her mind, hopefully she has seen through your hatred and is a good, kind human being!

It seems that all four are gainfully employed.

Mr. Lee is a bus driver by trade, appears to be in his 50's.

Ms. Hastings is a massage therapist, I would guess her to be under 30.

How old are you Hermi/Cleo? What do you do? Never mind, I figure you for well over 60, (65---68) who's old?

And we see daily what you do. You rant............

Mind boggling, that's all I can say.....................

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

Okay, I've taken my meds, better now.................

;-)

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

She's still a racist, though...........

lawrenceishome 6 years, 1 month ago

If they were a little bit nicer I would think about it...but still would probably be a no.

Rainfalls 6 years, 1 month ago

No, I put my kids in quite a few events through Lawrence Parks and Rec and none of them are free. Since their prices for the activities are really cheap I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for each activity but I don't want to pay some type of membership fee when I'm still going to have to pay for each activity.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 1 month ago

No. These facilities provide an important service for residents of the city. There aren't many free things in this town, especially for youth. Community centers should be free use.