Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay a fee to use Lawrence Parks and Recreation facilities?

Asked at the Community Building, 115 W. 11th St. on April 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“No. I believe that the facility should be free to everyone. ”

“No. That would take away from the convenience of it.”

“Yes, because it’s a valuable resource, and it’s worth paying for. If I used a private facility, I would have to pay a lot more.”

“It depends on the fee. If it was cheaper than a (commercial) rec center and I knew that it was going to something that would benefit the community, I would like that.”

Comments

SpeedRacer 5 years ago

No. These facilities provide an important service for residents of the city. There aren't many free things in this town, especially for youth. Community centers should be free use.

Rainfalls 5 years ago

No, I put my kids in quite a few events through Lawrence Parks and Rec and none of them are free. Since their prices for the activities are really cheap I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for each activity but I don't want to pay some type of membership fee when I'm still going to have to pay for each activity.

lawrenceishome 5 years ago

If they were a little bit nicer I would think about it...but still would probably be a no.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

She's still a racist, though...........

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

Snap -

My agent tells me that my writing talents will fare better in the San Fernando valley than the Kaw River valley.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Okay, I've taken my meds, better now.................

;-)

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

Okla bill allowing pregnant women to use deadly force to protect their unborn child. (Lookout, Momma's gonna be packin') http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/03/oklahoma-allow-pregnant-women-kill-save-baby/

edjayhawk 5 years ago

I pay for public facilities over here in Merriam. My gym and health club membership is only $20 a month and all equipment is new or nearly new.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

HermioneElliott (Anonymous) says…

"The two old white people voted yes. I bet they will never use it. The two people of color voted no. Interesting."

Why, why, WHY? It never dawned on me what color the people were until you mentioned it! YOU are a RACIST! Every article the LJW prints with pictures or reference to race YOU make an issue of. Racism goes both ways, Hermi/Cleo! How do you expect racism to ever stop with people like YOU making it am issue every time you open your face! You have mentioned that your child is bi-racial. Is she embarrassed by your constant rant of this issue? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure you have made every effort to poison her mind, hopefully she has seen through your hatred and is a good, kind human being!

It seems that all four are gainfully employed.

Mr. Lee is a bus driver by trade, appears to be in his 50's.

Ms. Hastings is a massage therapist, I would guess her to be under 30.

How old are you Hermi/Cleo? What do you do? Never mind, I figure you for well over 60, (65---68) who's old?

And we see daily what you do. You rant............

Mind boggling, that's all I can say.....................

couranna1 5 years ago

No do not go there now so why volunteer to pay for a place I do not go to

Multidisciplinary 5 years ago

prospector (Anonymous) says…

and here I thought "the funny" had left the building lately. Kudos.

TOB, I didn't know you knew my old landlord! Heck, maybe you ARE my old landlord. I was 23, and I swear, that man never once raised his gaze from my chest. It was creepy.Lecterous OLD coot, about 38. Then later, they all did it at some point, so it became humorous.A selling point. The problem with 'selling points' is that now if men want to stare, they have to set their legs, squat slightly, bending a bit at the waist, then cock their head to one side then the other. But they still do it.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years ago

Hermoine's constant string of reverse racism/stereotyping/profiling are getting old. We get it: you hate old white people. Interesting? Only if you want it to be. I find it more interesting that you can deduce someone's personal habits by their skin color and age.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

TOB, you could be the head writer on the new "CSI, Eudora" show.

prospector 5 years ago

If I had to guess, the one NOT on the brown malt and barley beverage this morning yet, is .......... Autie.

A good perspective there sir.

Woman: Do you look at women's cleavage and say what a lot?

Man: What?

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

I couldn't think of anything wiser.

woman - Um, why are you staring at my breasts?

man - National Cleavage Day. It's the law.

woman - Well, if the gov't says so, stare away.

man - It is also Testicular Cancer Awareness Week and I'm not able to self exam...

The story writes itself. I should move to the valley and write scripts and save lives.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

Wondering if it is wise to observe National Cleavage Day during Testicular Cancer Awareness Week.

Kat Christian 5 years ago

Absolutely NO. I already pay taxes that go to fund this.

sgtwolverine 5 years ago

If you're not willing to pay a fee to use it, then you're willing to shut it down. I don't know what you all are complaining about; fees for these types of services are neither uncommon nor unreasonable.

autie 5 years ago

The true consideration is how does that benefit for the "common good of the public" as opposed to an individual benefit for me.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

Cleo. ?????? Thought-provoking...

blue73harley 5 years ago

HE If Katie is "old" she wears it well. And your stereotyping makes you look like a jerk.

I_Bejewel 5 years ago

Which Parks and Rec facilities are we talking about? I have two sons playing baseball this spring and just wrote a check to them for $140 to cover that. Doesn't that count? Am I not already paying to use their facilities?

couranna1 5 years ago

This is not even remotely about race Do you feel guilty about something hermie Get over and address the issue. Are you just a racist looking to start trouble or do you just like to bait the bear

HermioneElliott 5 years ago

couranna1 5 years ago

autie nice try but stop proving your ignorance with dumb analogies. Taxes pay for that and of course it is at a deficit. but what the city hopes is it attracts people to the city as a service. Understand now?

newsreader 5 years ago

I thought I did? It's called taxes.

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

Taxpayers should be questioning the multi million dollar athletic project under way at Clinton Lake that basically duplicates the USD 497 multi-million dollar athletic project???

Is Clinton Lake area within walking or biking distance to the far greater majority of Lawrence taxpayers?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

"I ride the bus regularly and at times they are almost filled. "

Peak times. I see these buses a lot, and it's clear that they are largely unused. I stand by my statement.

Beawolf: what's your response to my question? Is there a point where you give up on over-idealistic goals of buses, homeless shelters, arts programs, free wi-fi, etc, etc., or do you propose that we go ahead and bump our sales taxes to 13% and get it over with?

Even if I'm wrong and the busses are very popular, the fact still remains that we will never see a T that is self-sustaining, and in a city where we "leave no agenda behind", we need to gain some perspective.

Can you deny that a greater number of people would benefit from moving the T funds to parks and rec?

autie 5 years ago

pinko commie? better than a libertarian anarchist. If one is really wondering about this, go to city hall and request the buget line item stuff for Parks/rec and just see what it cost. Then ask them how many mils from the tax base are used to support it. When the difference is a negative number..user fees fill the gap. If my memory is close, we had around 1.6 million in ad valorem revenue for a budget in excess of 8 million. The rest of the revenue was sales tax and fee for service. Some of these responses would be like saying, I don't want to pay my water bill cause I pay taxes..that is just stupid.

couranna1 5 years ago

No I would not as the facilities there are not all that up to date. Would people be able to reserve the basketball court or weight room so they did not pay a fee to stand there and wait. I have a feeling this is not only about economics but it also about the homeless problem in Lawrence. The Community bldg downtown has always them hangin out there, using the showers, drinkin in the showers and getting in a nap. With the salvation army turning its back on the city of Lawrence and closing the shelter { I will not say theirs as they did not finance it the public did} this will become a much busier place as it is a FREE place that they can just go in. I switched to a place in JOCO to play ball a while ago. To have to for something that tax dollars are suppose to finance is not cool with me unless they have other reasons then I might agree with the fee but I would not pay it as the facility does not rate paying for it

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years ago

Would I be willing to pay a fee to use P&R facilities? Yes.

The masses? I'm not so sure. They are practicing making incendiary devices. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/apr... And then we have the angst generated by garage sales...

The_Original_Bob 5 years ago

They charge for belly-dancing? Fascists!

I'm usually indifferent to a lot of these questions because online anonymous opinions are worth about what they cost, but I'm surprised how many people think all this should be free (beyond whatever tax they think funds it). Thank goodness my pinko commie online buddy, Autie, who used to be a mayor of a mid-sized city, understands this.

"I see what you're saying, except that the sales tax that passed is to pay for streets, transit and other infrastructure items."

Excellent and awesome observation. Chargedup proves a point that people really have no idea what their taxes fund and to what extent.

Marion Lynn 5 years ago

I vote for Katie as Hottie of The Week!

beawolf 5 years ago

"You have your funding for the empty buses going around pointlessly in circles,".....

You are an idiot. I ride the bus regularly and at times they are almost filled. Peddle your crap elsewhere.

macon47 5 years ago

people struggling should spend more time improving their life situation, rather than worring about free recreation sites ,

it amazes me so many degenerates think free doesnt cost someone something the taxpayes are paying for your follies.

we worry about exercise and how to keep kids busy in the summer. when was the last time you saw a kid mowing a yard.

that gives them exercise and keeps them busy.

if it is not worth paying a fee for the service should be discontinued and only services that are important enough to warrant a fee should be offered .

autie 5 years ago

The simple answer is yes. Or you won't have them. Any ad valorem used to help pay for these types of things don't come close to covering the whole cost. User fees are a necessary evil.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

How do the T supporters feel about the T now? You have your funding for the empty buses going around pointlessly in circles, but not enough money for facilities that are used a lot, and used by people of all walks of life in Lawrence.

So... do the liberals want to raise sales taxes again, or just admit that we can't afford every socially concious program we would like to fund? One of those two things now has to happen.

preebo 5 years ago

I am in agreement. If we are going to move to a fee based financing structure then they should either receive less tax revenue or be cut off entirely. I find extremely in poor planning on the part of the City Manager and the Commission to both finance parks and rec at the current revenue stream as well as charging fees.

canyon_wren 5 years ago

Charging a fee for those facilities makes it harder on people who are struggling already and will result in the use of the facilities largely by the more well-to-do, which is unfair. It seems like the fact that the City is even considering this scenario makes it obvious that they either have providing more in the way of parks and recreation than was "fiscally sound," in the first place or are not managing their budget needs well. This is not the time to impose more of a burden on the residents.

chargdup 5 years ago

Napoleon_Dynomite (Anonymous) says… No. I pay taxes for that. We just raised the city tax. So, H___ No!

Donnuts 5 years ago

I don't think that they should charge people to use municipal resources. I think there are clubs that people can do that with. NO absolutely not. There are resources that should be free to partake of in every city and the community center should be one of them.

They already charge to use resources like the Municipal Pool and programs and classes like Belly Dancing and aerobics. That should be enough. We pay taxes for that.

Napoleon_Dynomite 5 years ago

No. I pay taxes for that. We just rasied the city tax. So, H___ No!