Previous   Next

Do you shop at garage sales?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on April 2, 2009

Browse the archives

“I love shopping at garage sales. It’s convenient, it’s better quality and cheaper.”

“No. I just don’t have time, usually.”

“Yes … saves money and it’s also a good way to recycle things.”

“Yes, for the savings.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely. Most of the decor in our house has come from garage/yard sales.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

oh heck yeah, i gather tons of neat stuff at garage sales...use what i can, then have my own garage sale...only i have yard sales because i don't have a garage :(

schula 5 years, 8 months ago

I like to go to garage sales, but don't always buy. I have a friend that goes to garage sales and looks in every box, hoping to find a bargain. I have had many garage sales over the years and they are a lot of work.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

consumer1 - no coffee this morning?

;-)

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

When I was outfitting my first apartment, I bought some items at garage sales. Not that I had much time to do it, but sometimes its a good place to get kids clothing.

labmonkey 5 years, 8 months ago

In the garage, where I belong, noone hears me sing this song.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

argh, my first post made it sound as though i carry home truckloads of crap from garage/yard sales, lol...i am very selective about the crap i buy, and it is not in mass quantities! some expeditions result in a lot of stuff, other? go home empty handed. i actually prefer estate sales and auctions to garage sales...get my game face on for those, lol.

hmm, coolest/weirdest thing ever gotten at a garage sale...that'd be a tie between my pez dispensers and the chrome toasters i used to collect.

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

That's okay consumer1, wasn't as bad as my screwup on "truck crashes into bookstore" this morning.................

apple BaD

BaDapple, bad............

Deja Coffin 5 years, 8 months ago

I love going to city wide garage sales. I'm so glad it's garage sale season again!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

I used to shop at garage sales, but then I found the garage I wanted, so I stopped.

HermioneElliott 5 years, 8 months ago

Anyone every buy something for twenty-five cents at a garage sale, take it to Antique Roadshow and find out it is worth $100,000? Me neither, but I love it when it happens. I'd just like to know how they do it.

cj123 5 years, 8 months ago

sometimes! it is fun looking at the junk people collect!

itsdabits 5 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if "retail manager" Brad is a member of the Eudora Chamber of Commerce? I certainly hope that he doesn't tweet about his excessive garage sale usage.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

autie, I got foxfire & firefox crossed up in my mind & was wondering what the heck you were talking about. Never mind.

lawthing 5 years, 8 months ago

I bought a leather jacket at a garage sale and when I went to wear it discovered a bag of weed in the pocket!

Had I been frisked the cops would have never believed it!

RoeDapple 5 years, 8 months ago

My sister has made a modest living in recent years buying garage sale/yard sale items, limiting her purchases to 25 cents per item. She is very selective with what she buys. She then advertises on ebay, often selling items for $25 or more.

My grandmother used to go garage sale shopping every week, then twice yearly have her own sales. She always made low offers on boxes and trays of costume jewelry. Once found a $6000 ring mixed in with everything she brought home.