Previous   Next

What is your favorite Paul Newman movie?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 30, 2008

Browse the archives

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’ because I used to watch it with my grandpa.”

The Hustler,’ where he’s a pool shark. It’s a lot of fun.”

The Color of Money.’ I think he was really good in it, but my 3-year-old daughter would choose ‘Cars.’”

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.’ It’s amazingly funny, and I love the way it ends - going out in a blaze of glory.”

Related story

Comments

Crossfire 5 years, 6 months ago

The HustlerThe Color of MoneyEddie Felson: The balls roll funny for everybody, kiddo.

thebcman 5 years, 6 months ago

labmonkey ::: try the Low Fat Sesame Ginger.I'm gonna have to go with Slap Shot. One of the best sports movies (if not the best) ever made. Right up there with the original Longest Yard.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Just this past week, I had acquired a copy of "Cool Hand Luke" on DVD.Playing it backward, at a slow speed, it revealed that "Paul is dead."Let us hope that there are enough Pauls left to serve future generations.

Godot 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought he was weak in "cat on a hot tin roof." At that time in his life, he did not seem to understand the difference between a flaw in character and anger.I would have liked to see him play that role 10 years later in his life.

Godot 5 years, 6 months ago

No, really, Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid.

labmonkey 5 years, 6 months ago

A question that would have been more in line with the stupid OTS questions would have been "What is your favorite Paul Newman dressing?"Mine was Lite Caeser until the bastard quit making it. Damn you Paul Newman. Damn you. You give us perfection in a salad dressing then yank it from us when we become addicted.

Robert Rauktis 5 years, 6 months ago

CHL...""Luke? Why'd ya havta pick fifty? Why not a nice EVEN number? Like twenty-nine?"

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

Newman played Earl Long in Blaze.I'd put in another vote for Slap Shot.

twaldaisy 5 years, 6 months ago

What about that movie where he played the governor of LA, Huey Long? maybe. It was a good movie too.

oldvet 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke... "She don't know what she's doing to me." "She knows and she's lovin' every minute of it."Absence of Malice... Getting even is always sweet...

BigAl 5 years, 6 months ago

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I have my plastic Jesus, right there on the dashboard of my car"...... Cool Hand Luke singing after news of his mother's death.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke, followed closely by Hombre.

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Nobody's Fool and From the Terrace

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

"Bob~ I do believe Easy was talking about Hud (that's the entire title), not Hudsucker Proxy!" PyWell, I'll be damned. Thanks, Py. I wasn't even thinking that.

Kat Christian 5 years, 6 months ago

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I love the whole cast in this movie.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 6 months ago

Ummm, what was the OTS question? I was stuck at Brittan Young.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Bob~ I do believe Easy was talking about Hud (that's the entire title), not Hudsucker Proxy! Of the two movies, I greatly prefer Hudsucker, which was a hilarious send-off of the noir genre--and yes, his over-the-top baddie in that one was quite intentional. Hud was a much darker film--very good in its own right, but much more serious. I have always thought Hudsucker was sadly overlooked--a true sleeper classic. Maybe the title was just not engaging enough to spark people's interest. It fits perfectly, but is a bit weird. If you haven't seen it, folks, do yourself a favor and rent it.I'm with Coach Eric on Nobody's Fool--I loved Paul in that one. I believe it was Jessica Tandy's last film and she, too, was wonderful in it. The weak spot (IMO) was the guy playing Paul's son. If that role had been better written and better performed, the entire movie would've been a lot stronger.I love watching him in Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy, Road to Perdition, and all the rest...But for my absolutely favorite, could-watch-that-man-all-night moments, I would have to go back to the movies of his youth: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and The Long Hot Summer. Not only was he (and his leading ladies) a joy to watch, but how can you miss with Tennessee Williams and Faulkner (respectively) material and snappy dialogue such as we rarely are treated with nowadays? Goodbye to a great actor and--even more strikingly--a great man.

Wendy magillicutty 5 years, 6 months ago

"why'd ya have to say 50!" Nobody's Fool is one of my all time favorites.

justicelyric 5 years, 6 months ago

"What we got here, is a failure to communicate." Cool hand Luke by far!!!!!

born_to_run 5 years, 6 months ago

"Long, Hot Summer"; "A New Kind of Love", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "Cool Hand Luke", "The Sting," and "Slapshot." I'll have to check out "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean", "Hombre", and "The Secret War..." (mentioned above). Also, I want to see "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." He was one of the best.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Ummmm. . . Towering Inferno, I guess. It's the only one that I can really remember seeing.

raytown20 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, Hud, Slapshot all great movies but I really like Nobody's Fool as well.

Gootsie 5 years, 6 months ago

Judge Roy Bean. oh yeah. He was also quite hot in The Sting.I'm so sad. :(

BigAl 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke.... Movie with the most sweat. (Discussion at the bar on Cheers with Norm, Cliff, Sam and Woody)

TopJayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Gotta go with Cool Hand Luke....Shakin' the tree boss, just shakin' the tree.But Slapshot made me wet my pants. That's hard to do.

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

we had lived long enough when mr and mrs bridge came outto have an earful of the local "starving artists"i remember this line very wellWhy don't they get a real job and live like everyone else? Then they could do their painting on the weekends. That's how I'd handle it.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Easy -Good call on Hudsucker Proxy. Being that was a Coen Bros. movie, I always took it that he was supposed to go over the top with that character.

BigAl 5 years, 6 months ago

It is extremely difficult to pick a favorite. Cool Hand Luke, Butch and Sundance, The Sting, Judge Roy Bean... all classics!! And then Easy Does It mentions Hombre. I forgot about that one. Another great movie. I even liked the "Secret War of Harry Figg" or "Frigg" something like that.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 6 months ago

Life and times of Judge Roy Bean is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I like Hud but I do think Paul may have over acted, Patrich Neal was great in that movie I also like stories set in West Texas.I always watch Hombre when it is on tv. Cool western, again the best acting in the movie was not Paul but Richard Boone. Boone is a very good bad guy.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 6 months ago

Gotta go with an under-rated one, "Nobody's Fool." GREAT acting by him.RIP, Paul.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke for me. Cars for the boy.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

My ole Lukey Boy...he can eat fifty eggs!!What are the odds up to, Dragline?Luke, what's all the dirt doin in the boss man's hole?...I don't know, boss...Cool Hand Luke, one of the greatest movies of all time...I'll betcha a cold drink.

trinity 5 years, 6 months ago

gotta go with cool hand luke. personal fave. ahhhh, what was that one that was filmed in kcmo? or part of it, anyway? mr&mrs bridge maybe? that was a good'un too.

GSWtotheheart 5 years, 6 months ago

the Sting, Road to Perdition, Cool Hand Luke

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, yeah, the more lighthearted stuff.

preebo 5 years, 6 months ago

Cool Hand Luke.Hands down, one of the best movies every made."No one can eat fifty eggs."

tirednhungry2 5 years, 6 months ago

Road to Perdition, Towering Inferno, and of course Slap Shot. Those Hanson Bros. were great!

Julie Craig 5 years, 6 months ago

The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Until they Sail, and Long Hot Summer are on my list. Cool Hand Luke is the best.How about hard boiled eggs for breakfast?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate.Some men, you just can't reach...."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

JJE007 5 years, 6 months ago

You've GOT to be kidding.Cool Hand LukeNight in the box for all of you!

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. A classic!