Previous   Next

What is your favorite Paul Newman movie?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 30, 2008

Browse the archives

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’ because I used to watch it with my grandpa.”

The Hustler,’ where he’s a pool shark. It’s a lot of fun.”

The Color of Money.’ I think he was really good in it, but my 3-year-old daughter would choose ‘Cars.’”

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.’ It’s amazingly funny, and I love the way it ends - going out in a blaze of glory.”

Related story

Comments

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 2 months ago

You've GOT to be kidding.Cool Hand LukeNight in the box for all of you!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate.Some men, you just can't reach...."

Julie Craig 6 years, 2 months ago

The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Until they Sail, and Long Hot Summer are on my list. Cool Hand Luke is the best.How about hard boiled eggs for breakfast?

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

gotta go with cool hand luke. personal fave. ahhhh, what was that one that was filmed in kcmo? or part of it, anyway? mr&mrs bridge maybe? that was a good'un too.

tirednhungry2 6 years, 2 months ago

Road to Perdition, Towering Inferno, and of course Slap Shot. Those Hanson Bros. were great!

preebo 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool Hand Luke.Hands down, one of the best movies every made."No one can eat fifty eggs."

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, yeah, the more lighthearted stuff.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 2 months ago

the Sting, Road to Perdition, Cool Hand Luke

born_to_run 6 years, 2 months ago

"Long, Hot Summer"; "A New Kind of Love", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "Cool Hand Luke", "The Sting," and "Slapshot." I'll have to check out "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean", "Hombre", and "The Secret War..." (mentioned above). Also, I want to see "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." He was one of the best.

raytown20 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, Hud, Slapshot all great movies but I really like Nobody's Fool as well.

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 2 months ago

Gotta go with an under-rated one, "Nobody's Fool." GREAT acting by him.RIP, Paul.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Newman played Earl Long in Blaze.I'd put in another vote for Slap Shot.

justicelyric 6 years, 2 months ago

"What we got here, is a failure to communicate." Cool hand Luke by far!!!!!

Tony Kisner 6 years, 2 months ago

Life and times of Judge Roy Bean is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I like Hud but I do think Paul may have over acted, Patrich Neal was great in that movie I also like stories set in West Texas.I always watch Hombre when it is on tv. Cool western, again the best acting in the movie was not Paul but Richard Boone. Boone is a very good bad guy.

BigAl 6 years, 2 months ago

It is extremely difficult to pick a favorite. Cool Hand Luke, Butch and Sundance, The Sting, Judge Roy Bean... all classics!! And then Easy Does It mentions Hombre. I forgot about that one. Another great movie. I even liked the "Secret War of Harry Figg" or "Frigg" something like that.

BigAl 6 years, 2 months ago

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I have my plastic Jesus, right there on the dashboard of my car"...... Cool Hand Luke singing after news of his mother's death.

Kat Christian 6 years, 2 months ago

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I love the whole cast in this movie.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Ummmm. . . Towering Inferno, I guess. It's the only one that I can really remember seeing.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool Hand Luke, followed closely by Hombre.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

Judge Roy Bean. oh yeah. He was also quite hot in The Sting.I'm so sad. :(

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 2 months ago

"why'd ya have to say 50!" Nobody's Fool is one of my all time favorites.

twaldaisy 6 years, 2 months ago

What about that movie where he played the governor of LA, Huey Long? maybe. It was a good movie too.

Godot 6 years, 2 months ago

No, really, Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Gotta go with Cool Hand Luke....Shakin' the tree boss, just shakin' the tree.But Slapshot made me wet my pants. That's hard to do.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

A question that would have been more in line with the stupid OTS questions would have been "What is your favorite Paul Newman dressing?"Mine was Lite Caeser until the bastard quit making it. Damn you Paul Newman. Damn you. You give us perfection in a salad dressing then yank it from us when we become addicted.

BigAl 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool Hand Luke.... Movie with the most sweat. (Discussion at the bar on Cheers with Norm, Cliff, Sam and Woody)

Robert Rauktis 6 years, 2 months ago

CHL...""Luke? Why'd ya havta pick fifty? Why not a nice EVEN number? Like twenty-nine?"

Crossfire 6 years, 2 months ago

The HustlerThe Color of MoneyEddie Felson: The balls roll funny for everybody, kiddo.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Just this past week, I had acquired a copy of "Cool Hand Luke" on DVD.Playing it backward, at a slow speed, it revealed that "Paul is dead."Let us hope that there are enough Pauls left to serve future generations.

oldvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool Hand Luke... "She don't know what she's doing to me." "She knows and she's lovin' every minute of it."Absence of Malice... Getting even is always sweet...

Godot 6 years, 2 months ago

I thought he was weak in "cat on a hot tin roof." At that time in his life, he did not seem to understand the difference between a flaw in character and anger.I would have liked to see him play that role 10 years later in his life.