Previous   Next

Do you think dealing with the economic crisis is a legitimate reason for McCain to postpone participating in the first presidential debate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. He’s going to have to deal with plenty of economic issues if he becomes president, and he’s not going to be able to put everything on hold to deal with them.”

“Yes. I think the problem is that the Democrats are trying to stop the bailout, which is urgent and necessary, and I think McCain is using the debates as a tool to make sure it gets done.”

“No. It seems like a pretty substantial economic package to be forcing it through without enough discussion. I think the debates should go on as scheduled. He shouldn’t be able to hijack them in order to push the bailout through.”

“No. I just think it’s a strategy to divert attention away from his faltering campaign.”

Related story

Comments

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 12 months ago

Ooooh noooo, McCain is running a campaign but he's willing to put it all on the line to save the American people. Right... there can't be any political motivation behind it. Noooo way.

RightWingBibleHolder 5 years, 12 months ago

Frickin liberal nut jobs. If this doesn't make any sense than take a look back and remember that Obama wouldn't even touch the invitations by McCain to do town hall meetings. Good lord people. Get away from what they are telling you at UK...Stop repeating the talking points of your party... have your own opinions!!!! The real question- How much does the Democratic Playbook cost at the bookstore?

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

Sgtwolverine: Oh crap, sorry! Well, I have a busy day, so I won't pollute the political dialog much further.

grammaddy 5 years, 12 months ago

hell no ! mcsame knows he cannot compete with obama in a debate. we are tired of his p.o.w. stories, and no one wants to see that stupid little cheesy grin when he can't put a thought into words. he wanted the town hall meetings because they're less formal. what i want to know is; if the financial crisis is such a big deal to him, why hadn't he even read the plan before wednesday? this whole "ride in and save the day" bs is just a big pile of hot mess. the dems had a plan going and mcsame rode in and caused more damage than he's worth,8houses,13 cars and all. this was all a plan to postpone his debate til next week, putting palin's debate on hold until they could find her a brain. c'mon people, you've seen her in the interviews.do you really think she's fit to lead this country when she can't even keep a 17 year-old under control? hey, sarah! how's that abstinence only policy working for you?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

Vote for the O'dude or the cities will burn!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 12 months ago

I think I had only one lunchbox, and it was a Garfield lunchbox.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 12 months ago

BABBOY,I had the same thought about tightening up the bankruptcy laws for individuals then bailing out the big boys. Personal responsibility is good, corporate responsibility isn't?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 12 months ago

Jonas:"It would, wouldn't it? We'd have that, and we'd Also be able to watch the same people on the other side yelling about how Obama was afraid of the debate and McCain was refusing to let panic get in the way."Ha! Jonas, stop making such accurate observations. It just doesn't fit in with the normal political arguments.As far as the question: I think the debates really just tell us who looks and sounds better on tv, and I don't think it really matters who looks and sounds better and tv, so I can't say I really care if the debates happen anyway. So from my perspective, this question is irrelevant because I don't think McCain is trying to postpone any relevant events.

dandelion 5 years, 12 months ago

Bowhunter99 (Anonymous) says:If there was a HUGE crisis at your place of work and you were one of the people in charge of coming up with a decision of how to fix it, would you not have to go back to work when such crisis happened? Or would you be able to continue looking for another job while completely disregarding the current one? I'm thinking you would have to go back and do the job you're being paid to do:.Are you saying that McCain is in charge of congress? I don't think so, there are plenty of lawmakers there and they are all of equal status. They can take care of the problem, then McCain and Obama can return for the vote. Of course, the Republicans decided to back down from the compromise suddenly, but will probably be ready to cooperate just in time to disrupt the debate. I wonder if I'll be "psychic"? Oh sure, it's just a coincidence.

kugrad 5 years, 12 months ago

Obama had totally legitimate reasons for not doing town hall debates, that is why there is no outrage. McCain does not "Debate" in town hall meetings, it is simply his preferred method of giving his stump speeches since he isn't a good public speaker. Make no mistake, EVERY town hall meeting is the same as the last. The same stories are told, the same talking points explained in the same way. They are NOT debates, but campaign speeches. He takes a question, then tells the POW story he thinks best relates. Obama had a good lead in the polls at the time, and only very small crowds were coming to see McCain. Obama drew huge crowds. McCain had nothing to lose and everything to gain, and Obama had nothing to gain by letting McCain have exposure to larger crowds than he could draw on his own. You don't depart from a winning strategy to adopt the strategy your opponent wants you to adopt, that would be stupid. McCain's latest move is just a stunt. He didn't suspend fundraising - you could go to his site and make a donation right now. He didn't suspend TV ads, I saw one the day he made the announcement and saw 2 yesterday, although I only watched TV briefly. He didn't rush to D.C. to negotiate - he spent the morning doing the Couric interview and the afternoon meeting with Bush where it is reported he said almost nothing. Both parties have stated that he is a distraction and not central to negotiations. If my campaign manager owned a lobby firm that was being paid $15,000 a month by Fannie Mae or Freddie mac as recently as LAST MONTH, I'd be trying to draw attention from that story as well.

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

O-Bob: How do I get into this pot of which you speak?.

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

"It would be so amusing if it were the other way around, watching the same people post all about how Obama rolled up his sleeves and got to work on the problem while McCain just wanted to talk about it"It would, wouldn't it? We'd have that, and we'd Also be able to watch the same people on the other side yelling about how Obama was afraid of the debate and McCain was refusing to let panic get in the way.And all of us could see clearly that, for many, there are only 2 steps in this process.1. Check the (D) or (R) behind politicians name2. Apply rationalizations.

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is a stupid question. Of course the majority of McCain supporters are going say it is legitimate and the majority of Obama supporters are going to say he is using this situation for political purposes. SO JUST INGORE THE ON THE STREET QUESTION FOR TODAY. I AM ASKING A NEW QUESTION OF THE DAY.Are you in favor of the bailout?

beatrice 5 years, 12 months ago

Yes, but one side is filled with hypocrisy on the side of good, and the other filled with hypocrisy on the side of evil.Hopefuly that helps clear things up gogo.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 12 months ago

OTS? A: No!Y or N to bailout? A: No.Lunchbox? A: only had one and it had a bunch of Hanna Barbera characters on it.

notajayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

It would be so amusing if it were the other way around, watching the same people post all about how Obama rolled up his sleeves and got to work on the problem while McCain just wanted to talk about it (which is pretty much what Obama accused McCain of a few days ago). But hey, I'm sure Obama can do more for the economy in Mississippi than he can by showing up for his job in Washington. (Gee, he won't even be able to vote 'present' from Mississippi, will he?)

deec 5 years, 12 months ago

I think the last thing we need is Mccain involved in the "bailout". Anyone else remember the Keating 5?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

hopeandchange"Dubious Claims in Obama's Ads Against McCain, Despite Vow of Truth By JIM RUTENBERG and JULIE BOSMANROANOKE, Va. - Two weeks ago, Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign gleefully publicized a spate of news reports about misleading and untruthful statements in the advertisements of his rival, Senator John McCain. Asked by a voter in New Hampshire if he would respond in kind, Mr. Obama said, "I just have a different philosophy, I'm going to respond with the truth," adding, "I'm not going to start making up lies about John McCain."Yet as Mr. McCain's misleading advertisements became fodder on shows like "The View" and "Saturday Night Live," Mr. Obama began his own run of advertisements on radio and television that have matched the dubious nature of Mr. McCain's more questionable spots. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/us/politics/26ads.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1222430761-8N5TIz7eueVsoUlxZWWnug&oref=slogin

Ceallach 5 years, 12 months ago

How many more days until the election? It can't be over too soon for me!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 12 months ago

,;-DMcCain isn't going to deal with any economic crisis.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

For those of you who went to the festival in Winfield, here is a link to some pics. For those who didn't, look what you missed out on.http://www.hodgsonrigsbee.com/

LeslieJeanne 5 years, 12 months ago

My baby is going to be president and I have never, ever, been so proud!!!I'm black and I'm proud, say it out loud.First bump.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 12 months ago

Sadly, most voters are like Mr. Potts --- apparently uninformed about how the legislature works. McCain is not on the Finance Committee. He has ZERO involvement with crafting a deal -- he can vote on it like any other senator once it goes to a vote, but if he's not on the committee, he's not involved in the deal-making.So, his whole "ride in and save the day" BS was a stunt -- and we should all know that. Sadly, though, it's the ignorance of the American people with regards to how the government actually functions that will allow him to get support like Mr. Potts.

davidnta 5 years, 12 months ago

notajayhawk: Did you know that John McCain ranked #1 in the most not voting senators this year? Obama came in third on that list.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

The Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore version)

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

Is there anyone on these boards who is not deceived by partisan politics?Here is a little secret. Most Republicans and Democrats are wrong, stupid, corrupt, etc. Both sides are filled with hypocrisy. Wake up people.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 12 months ago

The Republican sheeple will go along with whatever McCain says, even the idiocy that McCain, who admits to being ignorant on economic issues, can't take two hours off on a Friday evening to take part in a debate. Palin is showing herself to be ill-prepared to take over for McCain, who is also ill-prepared, and this is nothing but a grandstanding act of desperation.

grammaddy 5 years, 12 months ago

hey woodenfleaeater i forgot about the lunchbox question.mine was my monkees lunchbox. davy jones was just so fly.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

Where was all this outrage when the O'dude puppied out earlier about doing more town-hall style debates?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 12 months ago

woodenfleaeater: "What was the best lunch box / boxes you ever had? I had two favorites, my Mighty Mouse and my Dukes of Hazard lunch boxes."Martha Stewart( granted, it was a brunch box )

tirednhungry2 5 years, 12 months ago

First off, McCain did not suspend his campaign as he has said he was going to do. His ads are still airing in battleground states, and his campaign offices across the country are still working away. Second, he did not rush back to Washington as he claimed he would do on Wednesday, but instead took the time to give an interview to Katie Couric (causing him to cancel his appearance on Letterman), and made a speech at the Clinton Global Initiative on Thursday morning where he repeated the lie that he was suspending his campaign (which still isn't suspended).These are facts.I think that the reason behind the "McCain returns to Washington" thing is that it's a bit of clumsy political theater on behalf of Mr. McCain. Then he goes into the meeting at the White House and wouldn't commit to which plan he's going to support (once the hard righters came in and monkey-wrenched the financial crisis proposal that Bush/moderate Repubs/Dems had agreed upon).I think McCain is afraid to confront Obama in a debate. And after seeing Couric's interview of Sarah Palin, we can likely look forward to some other 'crisis' to appear which will prevent her from the VP debate.

guesswho 5 years, 12 months ago

McCain and Obama have both been pretty much no-shows in the Senate this year; that is a fact because they are campaiging so much. Neither of them are on the budget committee, so them being in Washington to 'push something through' only creates more chaos.

Potawatomi 5 years, 12 months ago

NO. I heard on the news that McCain stayed quiet during the meeting with Bush yesterday. What a freakin joke. He can't handle the economy now and wouldn't be able to handle the economy if elected. Next the Repubs will come up with something to stop the election. Bush has screwed this country up so bad. Sick of this redneck bible beating bs.

beatrice 5 years, 12 months ago

Imagine a future when John McCain is President. A crisis, a hurricane, a biopsy, whatever -- something happens that keeps him from fulfilling his duties as President for a time. In those instances, the Vice President would need to step up. If McCain wishes to not take part in the debates, that is fine. However, he should then send his choice for second in command. Anybody up for an Obama / Palin debate tonight?Whether he was earnest or not, since McCain isn't on any of the committees actually working this out it comes across as political theater. If he doesn't show for the debate, the race will be all but over for him.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

Well, here are my thoughts...I think the debate is going to be held tonight, and McCain's going to make a big deal about suspending his campaign, taking care of the 700 billion bailout and then being able to make it to the debate. He's going to say that is proof that he is going to be able to take care of issues and multitask while being in office. He is going to say how he puts the peoples wants and needs before his own. And then he'll make a big deal about Obama not being able to do the same thing. What everyone else think?

acg 5 years, 12 months ago

No way he should get to bail. You have to be able to multi task for this job. I'd feel the same way if it were Obama trying to weasel out of the debates. I was pretty p*ssed when Obama said he didn't want to do the town-hall meetings. We have the right to hear what they have to say and they have the responsibility to stand up and answer questions from the American public. I think the VP's should have to debate too. I want to hear more about how Biden thinks everyone had tv's in 1929 and how Palin can field dress a moose. I have to say, this election is extremely important. It's history in the making, we all know that. But all seriousness aside, it's also offering the best late night t.v. fodder I've seen in years. Even better than Bush/Kerry. The Daily Show is so enjoyable right now.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

McCain is going to debate tonight!! Hooray...Hooray...What a great President this man would be. Putting his campaign on hold to save the common man...All the way from NY to DC in one day to solve the U.S. economic problem and then on to the debate....Man, what's not to like about him??.....There's no way this was set up.

LiberalDude 5 years, 12 months ago

No, McSame is just playing politics by threatening to cancel the debate. It backfired on him and he know looks foolish. McCain and Obama were just slowing down the process by going to D.C. They need to be talking to the people to let us know where they stand.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 12 months ago

mm: "How does the Regan Democrat view it?"'Cause he's always living back in DixonCirca 1949And we're all sitting at the fountain, at the five and dime'Cause he's living in some B-movieThe lines they are so clearly drawnIn black and white life is so easyAnd we're all coming along on this one'Cause he's on a secret missionHeadquarters just radioed inHe left his baby at the dancehallWhile the band plays on, some sweet songAnd on a mission over ChinaThe lady opens up her armsThe flowers bloom where you haved placed themAnd the lady smiles, just like momAngels wings are icing overMcDonnell-Douglas olive drabThey bear the names of our sweetheartsAnd the captain smiles, as we crash'Cause in the mind of Ronald ReaganWheels they turn and gears they grindBuildings collapse in slow motionAnd trains collide, everything is fineEverything is fineEverything is finehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60jNs-...

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 12 months ago

RightWingBibleHolderIgnorantJesusFreak: Why did Obama have to agree to McCain's Town Hall proposal? Did I miss where McCain was put in charge of the Commission on Presidential Debates?The Commission set the format, and Obama & McCain both agreed to it. McCain's stunt was a desperation move, and you know it. The terror as the Christianist "American Taliban" see the writing on the wall and realize that their part in the history of this nation is now (thankfully) over is a joy to watch.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

I'm going to propse a better Question of the Day myself.....What was the best lunch box / boxes you ever had? I had two favorites, my Mighty Mouse and my Dukes of Hazard lunch boxes.What was your favorite lunch box / boxes?

Wellington 5 years, 12 months ago

If you would like to make comments, they would be better served by writing your congress man or woman. Enter your zip code in the upper left corner.http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/This is a lot more serious than most people realize. It is important that we get it right, no matter what side of the isle you are from. Best

BrianR 5 years, 12 months ago

I have an old Bullwinkle lunchbox. I would love a Josie and the Pussycats lunch box.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 12 months ago

Oh come on guys. We are talking about politicians here. Of course it is grandstanding to the max. This "country first" cr@pola and "I called first" whining is all politics. Anyone who claims otherwise is either incredibly naive (the politically correct term) or as jonas says, has a (D) or an (R) after their name."When people are unwilling to dream, then ideals must, by definition, be lowered. Those who run for office, from the highest to the lowest, rise only to the level of competency demanded of them by those casting the vote." The Tao of Money, Ivan HoffmanAmen!

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

Those aren't my pics, but a dude took a picture of us and gave his card.....

sgtwolverine 5 years, 12 months ago

"Is there anyone on these boards who is not deceived by partisan politics?"...Is there any other kind of politics in modern America?

Unix_Admin 5 years, 12 months ago

He is serving as a distraction more than anything-they don't need him. It was said on the news last night that he spoke for a few minutes in the meeting, and had absolutely nothing of substance to say. This is just grandstanding on his part. Oh, and another thing. If this is such an emergency, how come their meetings don't start until 10.30AM?

cds 5 years, 12 months ago

I always enjoyed my Hello Kitty lunchbox.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

(grammaddy states while making making the z finger snap)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 12 months ago

TOB, now you must send me your shoes.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 12 months ago

Did I hear correctly this morning that Bush and the Dems had worked out a plan and now a group of conservative Republicans have come up with a scheme with which even Paulson disagrees? Apparently this is lead by McCain as a way of distancing himself from Bush. Is this not campaigning?

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 12 months ago

madmike says, "When you fly through a storm, do you want the new pilot that has never done it before, or the pilot that has flown through many storms?"Well, I'd like the pilot to be someone who has not been involved in 4 crashes. McCain's luck has got to run out at some point and I'd rather not be a passenger on his plane (metaphorically speaking).

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 12 months ago

Or that unfortunately passes away at the helm of the plane, without a qualified co-pilot.

Crossfire 5 years, 12 months ago

Hell No!The candidates need to go about the business of presenting themselves to the people.To have John McCain put on a show as if he is making the decisions to correct the Wall Street mess is B-S.The American public is just being played again.We were lied to to get this country in to a war boost oil prices for the benefit of the big oil companies.Do you really believe we are not going to be screwed by the financial giants on interest rates from now on?

BuffyloGal 5 years, 12 months ago

The Partridge Family. Too cool for words!

bad_dog 5 years, 12 months ago

Logic, I feel your pain...It's a little difficult to understand how as suggested above, "... the Democrats are trying to stop the bailout..." when they are supporting (with very reasonable modifications) the plan propounded by the POTUS, Bush nominee-Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bernanke, and Bush appointee-Cabinet member/US Treasury Secretary Paulson. If anyone is trying to "stop the bailout", it's not the Democrats. Even the modifications suggested by the Democrats have now been adopted by Bushco, et al. If the plan is unpalatable for House Republicans, they need to consult with their leadership and get their act together quickly. It's interesting to note, however, the alternate plan would require Wall Street involvement that reportedly couldn't be obtained last week. I believe the rest of the nation would be very interested in seeing Wall Street absorb the responsibility and risk for the "bailout".

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

"Is there anyone on these boards who is not deceived by partisan politics?"I try not to be, but I'm sure I fail at time. These political webs, they run pretty deep.

dminear60 5 years, 12 months ago

No. Most Americans have to multi task every day. I am inclinded to believe the President will occasionaly have to as well. Duh.

scott3460 5 years, 12 months ago

By the way, nice to see from the man on the street interviews that Archie Bunker is alive and well. Dude has all of his facts wrong, but God bless him, he gets to vote!!! What a country!

commuter 5 years, 12 months ago

Beatrice- what are you smoking???? The next thing you are going to tell me is that Kennedy and Kerry are for the common man and would be willing to pay more taxes so you could pay even less?

scott3460 5 years, 12 months ago

It's not that McCain cannot compete with Obama in the debates, as some have said, it's that tonight Obama gets to respond directly to the lies McCain has been hiding behind. Tonight Americans (those who chose to anyway) see for themselves the two candidates side by side. Obama will be articulate, calm, smart, measured, and above all, in control. McCain likewise will show his true nature tonight. And that is what he's been so worried about. Say goodnight Gramps!! And take Caribou Barbie with you when you go.

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

Errr. . . that's a little not-subtle.

jonas_opines 5 years, 12 months ago

. . .wait, no. That didn't come out right at all. . . .

RightWingBibleHolder 5 years, 12 months ago

You know you're in Larryville when you see comments like this...