Previous   Next

What is your favorite fall activity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“Taking our three kids to the pumpkin patch. I like watching them pick them out. Then we carve them, and I make a pumpkin pie and roast the seeds.”

“Spending more time with my kids. I don’t get to hang out with them quite as much during the summer time.”

“Definitely climbing trees. It makes me the happiest 10-year-old.”

“Tailgating and going to KU football games.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Baking and going to the Pumpkin Patch with the girls.

matahari 6 years, 2 months ago

When the frost is on the pumpkin, it's time for dickie dunkin!

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Everything! Baked goods, seasonal brew, wassle (how do you spell that?), long sleeves, crunchy leaves, sitting around the last outdoor fire of the year, and starting the first fires of the season in the fireplace. Helping the kids with their pumpkins, putting up the fall decor. Making halloween costumes. That crisp feeling in the air. Fall is my FAVORITE season!!

jaycat 6 years, 2 months ago

Watching all of the neighbors blow their leaves into my yard.

conservativepunker 6 years, 2 months ago

Rocktober. Seriously avoiding Football geeks, (no offense), but I really can't stand the game. I get tired of hearing about it, and there are other things to do do. I love camping in the fall with friends, I love the days when it's sunny, yet only about 50 degrees out with leaves all over the ground. It truly is my favorite time of year. One Football question-- on games that are televised, they allot what is it, 3 hours? Yet I have never been aware of a game that has ended in that amount of time. Why don't they just allot say 3.5 hours?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Punker:Jacksonville @ Indianapolis actual game time: 2:56Arizona @ Washington: 2:58KC @ Atlanta: 2:59Detroit @ San Francisco: 2:58With the exception of a couple overtime games, pretty much every other game was 3:10 or under, and the longest overtime game was 3:31.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Skydiving followed closely by base-jumping.Ba dum ching.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Football. Football football football. Friday nights and Saturday afternoons are the best times of the fall.

acoupstick 6 years, 2 months ago

Hunting and watching football. Watching my daughter tear up the soccer field. Being able to drink beer that doesn't look like watered down urine.

George_Braziller 6 years, 2 months ago

Counting down until it's Spring. Fall is wonderful during the day but the whole dark dreary period from late November through February depresses the hell out of me.

riverdrifter 6 years, 2 months ago

Harvesting pumpkins & fall squash. Tearing out tomato plants & planting garlic in place.Grouse/woodcock hunting on the north shore of Lake Superior. Hitting the road soon. The best pheasant hunting in Kansas is near the winter solstice. Kick them out of the roost at first & last light. Alone, with dog. Balvenie to follow.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

thanks trinity, we'll have to check it out, is it open during the week?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 2 months ago

Belle chase and just about everything else...the snowy tree crickets, excited leopard frogs calling in the goldfish pand, the deer in my city yard and squirrel reminding me of what's important.

Chrissy Neibarger 6 years, 2 months ago

Halloween!!!Lighting up a fireplacePlaying in the pile of leaves racked upCarving pumpkinsWearing a sweater in the morning

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 2 months ago

Baking pumpkin cheesecakes, pies, cookies, bread. Oh the house smells so good.

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 2 months ago

Louisburg Cider Barn and Corn Maze. :) We try to get the last hayride of the year every year.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 2 months ago

wassail is how you spell that...I love it!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Spiced ham roasting on an open fire,lemurs nipping at your nose.....

KansasPerson 6 years, 2 months ago

Apple-picking! I love it! We've been going to the Fieldstone orchards which are near Overbrook. They also have Asian pears and other things. We usually make a long afternoon of it.There's also a place called Wildhorse Orchard which is run by the Walters family out near McLouth. They stopped doing pick-your-own for a while (liability insurance was too high) but I heard they recently started up again. Anyway, they are also usually at the Farmers' Market. We started calling their booth "The Apple Lady" when my son was little, because that's how he remembered it (she gives free slices!) -- and we went on calling it that even long after we learned their actual name. :)I love pumpkin-picking, too -- even more fun with children along! And I guess I'll also mention the butterfly migration -- that's kinda late summer/early fall, isn't it?I love it when it gets almost really cold, around the end of October. (But no ice storms, please!)But my all-time fall favorite is the leaves. They are so beautiful!

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

deja there is a really nice apple place on I-35 just southwest of ottawa about 8, 10 miles-pome on the range! :)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

banned: "Getting into something warm:."BuffyloGal: "Getting up again." Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Dazie, is that only open on weekends and how long is it open? We go to Schaake's every year for pumpkins but I couldn't find an apple orchard anywhere close on google. We picked the in-laws apples but they have no flavor for some reason. I need some good apples!!!

Beth Bird 6 years, 2 months ago

The River Run car show in Ottawa - It is the best!

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

long motorcycle rides. beeyooteeful. :)

gphawk89 6 years, 2 months ago

Waxing the skis and waiting for the snow.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

riverdrifter."Balvenie to follow" you said a mouthfull there. A mouthwatering mouthfull......I love it.