Previous   Next

What is your favorite political movie?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on September 15, 2008

Browse the archives

All the President’s Men.” It was such an outstanding movie, and of course I lived through the events in it. I thought the way it was done was very informative. I didn’t feel like I was being sold a point of view.”

“It’s a tie between both versions of “The Manchurian Candidate,” and then probably “Primary Colors.”

Bob Roberts” is pretty good. It’s a satire, or mockumentary, about a congressional race.”

The Last Hurrah,” with Spencer Tracy. It’s about a grass-roots leader losing a bid for re-election against those with the money and interests.”

Related story

Comments

agtprovocateuse 5 years, 7 months ago

The Contender, without a doubt. Joan Allen is brilliant, and her character's refusal to acknowledge efforts to make her sexuality relevant, even to her detriment, is inspiring.

Left_handed 5 years, 7 months ago

Otto Preminger's "Advise and Consent", based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Allan Drury.

Mixolydian 5 years, 7 months ago

Monty Python's Life of Brian. "People's Front of Judea" squaring off against the "Judean People's Front."

janeyb 5 years, 7 months ago

The Contender. I loved Jeff Bridges as the President--not quite as good as "The Dude"-----but close.

bennyoates 5 years, 7 months ago

Marion writes:Interesting choices; both well up on my list and neither too far off the mark in terms of how things could very well go depending on the outcome of the election.=========================================================We would have figured "Triumph of the Will" and "Birth of a Nation" are your favorites for breaking out the popcorn!Tom ShewmonMr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says:Dirty Harry========================================================Also a big favorite of the late Leonid Brezhnev, and that's no lie.

bennyoates 5 years, 7 months ago

NashvilleLast Tango in ParisThe ConversationThe Godfather, Part IIStraw DogsHeaven's GateThe Battle of AlgiersA Face in the CrowdHearts and MindsDo the Right Thing

ExxonMcCain 5 years, 7 months ago

Beth Bird 5 years, 7 months ago

I am going to have to say Dick (about Richard Nixion). Great movie!

uncleandyt 5 years, 7 months ago

Team America, Born On The Fourth Of July, 1984, Easy Rider, High Plains Drifter

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 7 months ago

grin Sorry GSW. There's plenty of Dave to go around.

beatrice 5 years, 7 months ago

Not sure which slogan I prefer -- "Pick Flick" or "Pedro for President" -- so it is a toss up between Election and Napoleon Dynamite.

GSWtotheheart 5 years, 7 months ago

"Red Dawn"and pooh on Dazie for saying my first choice before I got to post it - "Dave"

bobberboy 5 years, 7 months ago

Mr Smith goes to weasel town.

ndmoderate 5 years, 7 months ago

Enemy of the StateandDr. StrangeloveandBobbyandCharlie Wilson's War

tonythetiger 5 years, 7 months ago

I loved Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well. It was absolutely great.I also love The Fog (the first one featuring Jamie Lee Curtis).

Ralph Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

Movies:"Wag the Dog""Mr. Smith Goes to Washington""The Wizard of Oz"Either version of "The Manchurian Candidate" (though I'm partial to the earlier one with Frank Sinatra)"Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail"And last, but not least, "Dr. Strangelove"Books:"Red Storm Rising""The Art of War""The Prince"

spacehog 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe in the '90s or possibly in the next century people will look upon the '80s as the age of masturbation, when it was taken to the limit; that might be all that's going on right now in a big way.-Bob Dylan

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

and not one Citizen Kane vote...?? so much for Orson.....

gogoplata 5 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

2nd vote for Idiocracy.Also making the cut:-Any of the Jack Ryan movies (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Sum of All Fears)-Thank You For Smoking-Napoleon Dynamite :-)

dminear60 5 years, 7 months ago

Schindler's List and All the President's Men

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 7 months ago

Favorite non-fiction political films: "War Room" and "Control Room"Favorite fictitious political film: "Fahrenheit 911"

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 7 months ago

Dave. :)"I once caught a fish THIIIIIS BIIIIG!"

dajudge 5 years, 7 months ago

Linda scares me. She needs some insectoid sunglasses.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 7 months ago

The Hunt for Red OctoberSchindler's List

Marion Lynn 5 years, 7 months ago

OnlyTheOne (Anonymous) says: Seven Days in Mayfollowed closely by Twilight's Last Gleaming"Marion writes:Interesting choices; both well up on my list and neither too far off the mark in terms of how things could very well go depending on the outcome of the election.

acg 5 years, 7 months ago

I loved Wag the Dog. It was great and made you think about stuff in a whole new light. Hey RI, have you ever read The Handmaid's Tale? The book was much better than the movie, as they always are, and it was one creepy story. The movie was pretty good, but I don't think it could do the book justice (but then I'm a reader, so I always think that way).

prospector 5 years, 7 months ago

A toss up between the RNC and DNC Conventions.

conservativepunker 5 years, 7 months ago

"Dick" Starring Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Phillips. Will Ferrell and Bruce McCullough play Woodward and Bernstein dead on. Outstanding film.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 7 months ago

Top Gun--For the worst flight scene where Tom Cruise gives the Migs the bird. I hated that movie. It was a box office blockbuster and everybody talked about it so much that I heard about the "rearview mirrors" needed in my Biology class. I will tell you of a movie I absolutely do not like. It is Deja Vu. I want you to notice this fellow as the main character will run over people in his Hummer time machine and smash their cars up to save some chick he thinks he dated at one point to solve a crime "before it happened" in the name of ruining privacy in humans lives. I think the movie is about the reverse as spooky as "Enemy of the State". I've got a crime for you to solve before it happens. Privacy rights and home invasion excused by the state when some stupid bloke tries to sham the rest of his cronies that he can prevent this great atrocity from happening as an excuse to get paid by the state department.

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 7 months ago

Seven Days in Mayfollowed closely by Twilight's Last Gleaming

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

I'd have to go with Wag the Dog.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 7 months ago

"Bob Roberts" is really awesome so kudos to Frank for that mention. On Tim Robbins, what about the politics of baseball in "Bull Durham"?-----I guess the rain, or age of the respondants has limited the need for eyewear of a less pleasing sort!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Top 5 political movies, in no particular favorite, chronologic, or biographic order...Dr. StrangeloveBlazing SaddlesRollerballThe Handmaid's TaleBeing There

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

Thomas the Tank Engine Meets Richard Nixon

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"My Fellow Americans" was pretty good, but not particularly political, just funny. To say the least, I distrust the political nature of films coming out of Hollywood, almost as much as I do when they come out of Washington itself."My name is John McCain/Barrack Obama and I approved this disingenuous and misleading but perhaps technically true piece of fluff."

H_Lecter 5 years, 7 months ago

Linda Lovelace for President

preebo 5 years, 7 months ago

All the President's Men was a good film. I would also say Wag the Dog is a favorite of mine also, great satire. Lately, however, I have watched Lions for Lambs a couple times and although it has been given some negative reviews I find it to have a poignant socio-political message in or current time.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home". I thought the whole 'save the whales' theme was particularly touching. (sniff)