Previous   Next

What is your favorite political movie?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on September 15, 2008

Browse the archives

All the President’s Men.” It was such an outstanding movie, and of course I lived through the events in it. I thought the way it was done was very informative. I didn’t feel like I was being sold a point of view.”

“It’s a tie between both versions of “The Manchurian Candidate,” and then probably “Primary Colors.”

Bob Roberts” is pretty good. It’s a satire, or mockumentary, about a congressional race.”

The Last Hurrah,” with Spencer Tracy. It’s about a grass-roots leader losing a bid for re-election against those with the money and interests.”

Related story

Comments

conservativepunker 6 years, 9 months ago

"Dick" Starring Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Phillips. Will Ferrell and Bruce McCullough play Woodward and Bernstein dead on. Outstanding film.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

The Hunt for Red OctoberSchindler's List

BuffyloGal 6 years, 9 months ago

"Bob Roberts" is really awesome so kudos to Frank for that mention. On Tim Robbins, what about the politics of baseball in "Bull Durham"?-----I guess the rain, or age of the respondants has limited the need for eyewear of a less pleasing sort!

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 9 months ago

Seven Days in Mayfollowed closely by Twilight's Last Gleaming

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

Thomas the Tank Engine Meets Richard Nixon

dajudge 6 years, 9 months ago

Linda scares me. She needs some insectoid sunglasses.

jonas_opines 6 years, 9 months ago

"My Fellow Americans" was pretty good, but not particularly political, just funny. To say the least, I distrust the political nature of films coming out of Hollywood, almost as much as I do when they come out of Washington itself."My name is John McCain/Barrack Obama and I approved this disingenuous and misleading but perhaps technically true piece of fluff."

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 9 months ago

Dave. :)"I once caught a fish THIIIIIS BIIIIG!"

dminear60 6 years, 9 months ago

Schindler's List and All the President's Men

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 9 months ago

Favorite non-fiction political films: "War Room" and "Control Room"Favorite fictitious political film: "Fahrenheit 911"

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

I loved Wag the Dog. It was great and made you think about stuff in a whole new light. Hey RI, have you ever read The Handmaid's Tale? The book was much better than the movie, as they always are, and it was one creepy story. The movie was pretty good, but I don't think it could do the book justice (but then I'm a reader, so I always think that way).

preebo 6 years, 9 months ago

All the President's Men was a good film. I would also say Wag the Dog is a favorite of mine also, great satire. Lately, however, I have watched Lions for Lambs a couple times and although it has been given some negative reviews I find it to have a poignant socio-political message in or current time.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 9 months ago

"Red Dawn"and pooh on Dazie for saying my first choice before I got to post it - "Dave"

Mixolydian 6 years, 9 months ago

Monty Python's Life of Brian. "People's Front of Judea" squaring off against the "Judean People's Front."

beatrice 6 years, 9 months ago

Not sure which slogan I prefer -- "Pick Flick" or "Pedro for President" -- so it is a toss up between Election and Napoleon Dynamite.

ndmoderate 6 years, 9 months ago

Enemy of the StateandDr. StrangeloveandBobbyandCharlie Wilson's War

uncleandyt 6 years, 9 months ago

Team America, Born On The Fourth Of July, 1984, Easy Rider, High Plains Drifter

Left_handed 6 years, 9 months ago

Otto Preminger's "Advise and Consent", based on the Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Allan Drury.

Ralph Reed 6 years, 9 months ago

Movies:"Wag the Dog""Mr. Smith Goes to Washington""The Wizard of Oz"Either version of "The Manchurian Candidate" (though I'm partial to the earlier one with Frank Sinatra)"Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail"And last, but not least, "Dr. Strangelove"Books:"Red Storm Rising""The Art of War""The Prince"

tonythetiger 6 years, 9 months ago

I loved Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well. It was absolutely great.I also love The Fog (the first one featuring Jamie Lee Curtis).

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 9 months ago

grin Sorry GSW. There's plenty of Dave to go around.

Beth Bird 6 years, 9 months ago

I am going to have to say Dick (about Richard Nixion). Great movie!

agtprovocateuse 6 years, 9 months ago

The Contender, without a doubt. Joan Allen is brilliant, and her character's refusal to acknowledge efforts to make her sexuality relevant, even to her detriment, is inspiring.

janeyb 6 years, 9 months ago

The Contender. I loved Jeff Bridges as the President--not quite as good as "The Dude"-----but close.