Previous   Next

Did you ever play in the school band?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 8, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes I did. I was in orchestra for a couple of days in fifth or sixth grade, but I learned to play the fiddle by ear and couldn’t read music, so they had to let me go.”

“Yes. I was in band in seventh and eighth grade and played the clarinet and saxophone. It was a good experience; I just kind of drifted out of it.”

“Yes. I played alto and tenor saxophone in the Trinity High School Jazz Band in Hutchinson. I loved it. Every year we played at a nursing home and brought the Key Club along to dance with the residents.”

“I played the snare drum in the school band in sixth grade, but sports eventually got in the way.”

Related story

Comments

JJE007 5 years, 7 months ago

ChristmasCarol (Anonymous) says:JJE007 Next time you cross the railroad tracks in your '50 chevy. I hope the car stalls permanently.How old were you in 1980?Christmas Grinch!---Oh, ChristmasCarol, Oh, ChristmasCarol...Away with you, mange heap. No quips in your head?~)---Seriously, though... How did I offend you, y' big goof? Up your milligrams!~)And if you're going to wish violence on me, you could at least spare the trauma that would befall the poor train engineer. How cruel. And that poor classic car...And what's this with the age question? Do you despise those whom you define as old? My best friend was born in 1980. Am I allowed to borrow some youth credits from her?~)You are right about one thing. I do happen to be a Christmas Grinch but I'm not so grinchy in September. YOU, on the other hand...need a beer. I'm buying! Any time, Whoville sniper!~)

george_nye 5 years, 7 months ago

Godot 5 years, 7 months ago

My little country school had so few students that, as an elementary school drum student, I was recruited to march in the high school band. I was hooked (and very bruised). I marched in the band, banging on those drums, for the rest of my public school years. To this day, I cannot hear a band and not strut my left foot forward on the downbeat.

domino 5 years, 7 months ago

Started playing piano at about age 5 or 6 - trumpet in 5th grade - French Horn in 8th grade. Also picked up guitar, and some clarinet along the way. Still play piano - have my trumpet and Horn - 2 of my kids learned to play trumpet on my old Conn then later went on to get their own Strat Bachs in High school. Youngest is in college as a music major as we speak and the oldest is giving private lessons in the small town he lives in. Wouldn't trade my music for anything. Don't get the horns out much anymore, but can always sit down at the piano and play out my joy, sorrow or vent my frustrations on the ivories!

skinnee11 5 years, 7 months ago

I started playing the upright bass in third grade. Over the next few years, I learned how to play the violin, viola and cello. Then came the piano along with foot pedal organ. Next was the woodwinds, brass and reeds. Toss in guitar, harmonica, accordion, banjo, lap and pedal steels....I played every instrument I could get my hands on. By the time I was 20, I was, at the very least, proficient in playing everything. The two that remain an everyday part of my life are the piano and guitar. I would like to personally thank Char Taggart for introducing my to the upright bass at such a young age. She, and music combined, saved my life.

tumbilweed 5 years, 7 months ago

Anybody play the Moon Lute? My old friend Horse had one. We would jam over walkie-talkies. He could he play that thing, man!

tumbilweed 5 years, 7 months ago

I played air drums in the air band of my mind for a while. I still play air bass. Most people think its air guitar, but if you look, its bass.

spacehog 5 years, 7 months ago

Money doesn't talk, it swears.-Bob Dylan

not_dolph 5 years, 7 months ago

It was funny while it lasted...

Marty_McFly 5 years, 7 months ago

I play in a band called "The Pinheads"We've been told "We're too loud."

Newell_Post 5 years, 7 months ago

Yeah. I even played in the KU band, albeit 30 years ago. If you think band is for sissies, you try running down the stairs of the KU stadium at full speed wearing a uniform that would make Muammar Gaddafi look frumpy and carrying several thousand dollars worth of silver-plated brass that isn't paid for yet.

fleeba 5 years, 7 months ago

Played Viola from 3rd grade to senior year. (not really considered band). But I also play snare in the marching band one year, just to be cool.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 7 months ago

JJEO007---Next time you cross the railroad tracks in your '50 chevy. I hope the car stalls permanently. How old were you in 1980?Christmas Grinch!

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 7 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

All I did was play.That was the problem.I think they wanted me to practice... improve... advance....

ralphralph 5 years, 7 months ago

Ultimate in Nerd-dom: Marching band at half-time, in football uniform.Yeow! Did we have no self-respect?

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 7 months ago

I played clarinet for 8 years and guitar in jazz band for a year. I concur with many on here that marching band was the least enjoyable and annoying component of band. Pep band at basketball games was fun, but I just wasn't into putting on a uniform and marching around playing a song.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I started with the trombone in 7th grade and played it exclusively until concert band of my freshman year. Then I played sousaphone pretty much exclusively until concert band of my senior year when I switched back to trombone. I also played bass guitar for the jazz band.

pimp11 5 years, 7 months ago

This one time at band camp.........I stuck a flute in.......Fill in the blank!!!

Gootsie 5 years, 7 months ago

I played flute, oboe, piccolo from 5th grade to 12th grade. I also played piano, but am so rusty now, I don't like to play.Funny - I still play out the notes on a "virtual" flute when songs from those days come on the radio. I guess my brain has nothing better to do.Snap, shall we send a care package to you? Maybe some clorox bottles filled with sand? Klondike bars? A dancing pole - B and I can spare it until it blows over.

jaycat 5 years, 7 months ago

I can play a pretty mean radio.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, since Andini is apparently sleeping on the job, someone has got to do this...Nobody likes to play music. Nobody. The other musicians hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you play because your father wants you to. Then you play to get the girls. If you keep on playing, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you play for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch and listen to the music, and that's fun. But nobody likes to play music. Nobody.

deskboy04 5 years, 7 months ago

Playing an instrument makes sense to me. Marching around in formation while playing the instrument makes no sense to me.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 7 months ago

I played the clarinet for like 4 years. Well, kinda. I just stayed in band because I was afraid to tell my band teacher I just joined because my friend told me to. Once he got fired I was out of there. Band wasn't so bad, it was the uniforms that ruined it for me. Not a fan of the dickie. That and I had no musical talent at all.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 7 months ago

I played the violin in sixth grade, but just for one year. My talents lie elsewhere; now I play the camera.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

Snap -Have you stocked up on beer, ammo and cheesy poofs?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Just in 5th & 6th grade. Other interests, musical and non-musical took over after that.In high school we always gave flute players the nick-name of "Bob"

prospector 5 years, 7 months ago

"One time at band camp, ..."''I was busy creating an audience for the band on Friday nights.

not_dolph 5 years, 7 months ago

coltrane 5 years, 7 months ago

NO i hated their pseduo-baroque miltaristic style uniforms -too militaristic

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

If they had had a holophoner spot, I would have gone for that.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 7 months ago

I played piano for the girl's choir in Highschool.The girls got a kick out of having me around I think.Their instructor spent half the time working with them so it gave me plenty of time to walk to the vending area and get a soda.The second half of the class time we'd jam and I could show off my musical genius.The beauty of it>I would pass a hottie or two in the hall.They would say "Hi" and give a hand on the shoulder or a quick hug.Stopped my geek friends in their tracks."Dude,where do you know her(them) from?"My reply,"Oh,I'm her piano player.She sings."

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

Never played in the band..but I played with a band member after the games. I resigned from the violin in the seventh grade.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 7 months ago

I played with the 8th grade band but left because of artistic differences. I wanted to take the band in more of a progressive direction, but the band teacher wanted me to play the notes on the sheet music rather than the ones I actually was playing. In addition I was dating the lead clarinet player who hooked up with the trombone player and that was pretty much it. I don't think they are right for each other, but still wish them well.

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

started in 5th grade, on the sax, and continued through college, on a music scholarship. I miss playing and may take it up again one day.

Kookamooka 5 years, 7 months ago

Believe it or not, there are still districts out there cutting music budgets and eliminating the arts. Teaching to the tests is really the norm now. If you don't like what's happening. Let your congress people and state reps know!

JJE007 5 years, 7 months ago

I play the bone machine, a sinewed marionette. It's a relatively a silent instrument that requires musical inputs and rifts like a mofo clown.I do remember sitting amongst a group of noise maker manipulating children, somewhat resembling a school band , while spitting into a trumpet. It was not a good experience.Learn to play an instrument early or you WILL regret it and make it more difficult for yourself down the line.

H_Lecter 5 years, 7 months ago

If you tell anyone I was a band geek, I'll have to kill you....slower, I turned down a scholarship.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

Fluteophone in 4th grade. All 4th graders had to take it. I never liked it much. But in 5th grade I started taking trumpet -- mainly because there was a used trumpet for $35 in a local thrift store that I thought I could eventually buy. Well, the trumpet worked out and my parents bought me a much better one than the one in the thrift store. I played all through junior high and high school and even in college. In fact, I still play the trumpet today, all these many years later.Along the way, I've picked up and learned to play about a dozen more instruments. Of those extra 12, I play guitar, piano, tenor sax and trombone well. I guess music's in my blood.

blue73harley 5 years, 7 months ago

Since I flunked flute-o-phone lessons in 3rd Grade, I pretty much figured out that I was not cut out for music.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"Played" the trombone for a few years. Not my instrument. Guitar went much better, but never played that in the school band. Only guitarist spot in the school bands was already filled, and that kid could play better than I could ever hope to.

tonythetiger 5 years, 7 months ago

I begged my parents to play drums and they sent me to a summer camp at the high school where they suggested an instrument at the end of the camp. I was not good at it but I liked the violin and cello... they recommended the clarinet and I struggled with it for a while and lost interest because I did not really like clarinet music. So eventually I got a guitar and learned it and then went on to other instruments all alone.I think music teaches people a way of linear thinking and meditation.I call my guitar my musical abacus.