Previous   Next

What’s your favorite locally-grown fruit or vegetable?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“Tomatoes. I eat them like apples. I can’t get enough of them.”

“Summer squash. It just isn’t very good if you don’t buy it local.”

“Corn on the cob. It is sweet and yellow and every now and then you get a worm.”

“Tomatoes.”

Related story

Comments

coltrane 6 years, 3 months ago

fresh corn, apples, asparagus, zuchinni, squash

H_Lecter 6 years, 3 months ago

Harley,That's one no one would eat...probably tastes like dried prunes.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

I just knew that somebody was gonna go there.....

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

Tomatoes. Can't get enough of the bruchetta right now. And sweet corn should always be local and should always have worms!! (It also has to be early with the kernels not too big. And it must be a super-sweet variety.)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

Brusssssssssschetta! R_I, I threw in some extra esses, just for you.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

Well, our locally grown fruit is limited. We do have some good apple trees, mine in the back yard had about 3000 little guys this year. We have raspberries and strawberries in the garden, but across the street on the river bank the chokecherries and saskatoons grow wild. chokecherries make wonderful pancake syrup and saskatoon pie is heavenly. My husband is nuts about corn and cucumbers. I like tomatoes and zucchini and yummy green beans. There are a number of market gardens near our house with lots of veg.

idarastar 6 years, 3 months ago

The FREE pears from down the street are excellent!I'm also in love with the $2 watermelons from Wakarusa Valley.Any greens from Hoyland Farm (spinach, kale, arugula).Tomatoes and bell peppers from Moon on the Meadow.Mint from my patio. :-) Tomatoes and bell peppers are growing as well.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

informed: I recall we spent an entire day around the topic of the pronunciation of bruchetta, in response to a rather pretentious LTE about the term. The writer, pretension aside, did have the backbone to come into our hostile arena and defend himself admirably, though. /he never answered my myspace friend request, though. I cried.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

I thought you already were, Renaldo.

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

Bought some apples and cantelope from the farmer's market. They were both so delicious and you can't buy flavor like that from the store. We always buy corn local, and we found lots of worms from one particular vendor, but we just cut off the ends, and all was good. Two of my kids eat tomatoes like apples, and they always prefer local.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

It's sooooo hard to choose, given the myriad varieties, many listed in blue, above.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and sorry, informed, for wearying you with a tale you witnessed. So hard to remember the roll call on the random past occurances, ya'know. I's so happy, I's making friends!