Previous   Next

What’s your favorite locally-grown fruit or vegetable?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“Tomatoes. I eat them like apples. I can’t get enough of them.”

“Summer squash. It just isn’t very good if you don’t buy it local.”

“Corn on the cob. It is sweet and yellow and every now and then you get a worm.”

“Tomatoes.”

Related story

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm on a friends computer, late night.. all are asleepAnd you clowns have me giggling uncontrollably!I had to stop half way down before I woke someone up. Will catch up tomorrow.My first answer was Art Sloan.I've had so many fresh tomatoes down here for my body to call a truce. The man of the house also declared he was 'fruited out'. There is a bushel of peaches being turned into mush for freezing by the house 'mistress'.The really small fleshed kind that I wouldn't pick..this is what they harvest down here.Tomatoes are whoppers tho.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

It's sooooo hard to choose, given the myriad varieties, many listed in blue, above.

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

Bought some apples and cantelope from the farmer's market. They were both so delicious and you can't buy flavor like that from the store. We always buy corn local, and we found lots of worms from one particular vendor, but we just cut off the ends, and all was good. Two of my kids eat tomatoes like apples, and they always prefer local.

gl0ck0wnr 5 years, 7 months ago

It's a tie between Richard Heckler and Clark Coan.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

R_I =Just think... in a few months you can take away the M and add a G to the front of your affectionate name for her.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

jonas, Yes i am.Just didn't want to see any tears, but then I did.That downpour wasn't rain, those were God's tears of joy that McCain picked Sarah Palin.

jonas 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh, and sorry, informed, for wearying you with a tale you witnessed. So hard to remember the roll call on the random past occurances, ya'know. I's so happy, I's making friends!

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

R_I, it was slow for the first couple of hours after day break. Only three in the bag..by 9:30, the dog was hot and I needed a drink. Walked back up to the truck..shot the bull with some other hunters and the game warden..then the dam burst and birds coming back from the feed fields were everywhere. I only took about another forty minutes or so to finish out a limit. Turned out to be good morning. We hunt just next to some public ground that is reserved for kids opening day..with lots of mowed sunflowers. it was loaded and the kids just keep them stirred up for the most part...so we just hang out at the "loafing areas" in a pasture with lots of dead hedge trees and wait for the after breakfast rush..

jonas 5 years, 7 months ago

I thought you already were, Renaldo.

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

more like green beans/brussel sprouts/iceberg lettuce/spinach..you know, them american vegatables. Arugula would be for friday nights when we have elitist meals..fancy hippie salad, filet mignon, roasted potatoes with dill and those funny shaped french rolls. Sunday is for our country cooking sunday dinner..but dove season started on Monday so we pushed it up a couple of days. We like to be equal opportunity consumers...if it is good, we'll eat it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

autie,Did you limit? I had a light day.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

elitists?Somethin green. like arugula?

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

No prob, Bob. Iikes my goumet cooking just a good as a big ole pile of biscuits and gravy..In fact, tonight we be fryin up all the doves I shot yesterday with mashed taters and...yes, biscuits all covered with the special dove gravy as only daddy can make. And probably some salad and corn..momma never let me cook nothin without we had somethin green on the plate.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, Autie. Good to know we have true American patriots on this message board unlike certain elitists that are argueing over the pronounciation of flavored dry bread.

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

in a vesicle? that sounds pretty gross. My cat needs his vesicles removed but I don't think anybody will want to smear them on a biscuit.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

"Sounds kinda like sausage gravy on a biscuit."What country are you from? Sausage Gravy consists of sausage, grease, flour, grease, milk, flour and maybe a bit of salt and pepper to go along with grease. The emergence of bruschetta in this country is due to marketing by pastry companies. We are selling our country's soul out yet again and this time to the Italians.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

"would a Yuppie put delicious sausage gravy on top of bruschetta?" -T_O_B.Well sweetcheeks, In the Abruzzo region of Italy, bruschetta is made with pork products and spices encased in pig vesicles that are aged and then the paste spread on open slices of bread and toasted. Sounds kinda like sausage gravy on a biscuit.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

"You call it a toasted biscuit, others call it bruschetta." R_INice try, Slick. Let me put it this way... would a Yuppie put delicious sausage gravy on top of bruschetta? I think not. Now, where's my damn biscuits?

idarastar 5 years, 7 months ago

The FREE pears from down the street are excellent!I'm also in love with the $2 watermelons from Wakarusa Valley.Any greens from Hoyland Farm (spinach, kale, arugula).Tomatoes and bell peppers from Moon on the Meadow.Mint from my patio. :-) Tomatoes and bell peppers are growing as well.

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

With all that said, would it more appropriate to sip a latte while enjoying one's toast? Then take a drive in a volvo?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

T_O_B,I love how "bruschetta" yuppie people call other people "bruschetta" yuppies in order to not be looked upon as a "bruschetta" yuppie themselves. Or some "bruschetta" yuppie thing like that. Bruschetta yuppie people.The word bruschetta comes from the Roman word "bruscare," which means to roast over coals, or to TOAST. You call it a toasted biscuit, others call it bruschetta.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

"bruschetta" Yuppies.Give me a good 'ol fashioned toasted biscuit anyday.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 7 months ago

Brusssssssssschetta! R_I, I threw in some extra esses, just for you.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

R_I, you are definitely in fine form today. I would doff my chapeau, if I wore one, in homage to your rapier wit.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Informed, Remember that nobody likes to pronounce bruschetta. Nobody. The other bruschetta pronouncers' hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you pronounce bruschetta because your father wants you to. Then you pronounce bruschetta to get the girls. If you keep on pronouncing bruschetta, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you pronounce bruschetta for the money and the girls. Then you get to just listen to bruschetta being pronounced, and that's fun. But nobody likes to pronounce bruschetta. Nobody.

ms_canada 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, our locally grown fruit is limited. We do have some good apple trees, mine in the back yard had about 3000 little guys this year. We have raspberries and strawberries in the garden, but across the street on the river bank the chokecherries and saskatoons grow wild. chokecherries make wonderful pancake syrup and saskatoon pie is heavenly. My husband is nuts about corn and cucumbers. I like tomatoes and zucchini and yummy green beans. There are a number of market gardens near our house with lots of veg.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

You beat me to it, R_I. I'll be your friend, too, jonas.And, yes, the dude did have the testicular fortitude to defend himself here.

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

chevrettes etouffee or Eureuil dans une Sauce Rouilee anyone? pronounce it? Heck, I can't even spell it, let alone pronounce it..but it sure is good.

jonas 5 years, 7 months ago

informed: I recall we spent an entire day around the topic of the pronunciation of bruchetta, in response to a rather pretentious LTE about the term. The writer, pretension aside, did have the backbone to come into our hostile arena and defend himself admirably, though. /he never answered my myspace friend request, though. I cried.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

R_I, thanks for the laugh. I wondered if that would be brought up when I saw sue's post. I mean, how can she even think of making bruchetta/bruschetta, much less eating it, if she can't pronounce it? It's an absolute insult and running joke to those of us who read LTEs./removes tongue from cheek

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

sue, "Bruchetta"? Do you actually mean "Bruschetta"? (pronounced brus'ket'ta; the "sch" is pronounced as it is in "school").You probably use the Missouri-fied bastardization "brus Shet' ta." Not only does this make the cook look like a fool, it shows the lack of culinary knowledge. it insults the person who knows how to pronounce it correctly being served the fare by someone with an incorrect pronunciation.The word bruschetta comes from the Roman word "bruscare," which means to roast over coals, or to toast. It has become a running joke between my friends and me. the cook serves it, and then we wait and cringe. It never fails.Knowing how to pronounce a dish is the bare minimum of requirements for a cook to be able to explain, offer, and serve it at their house.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 7 months ago

Tomatoes. Can't get enough of the bruchetta right now. And sweet corn should always be local and should always have worms!! (It also has to be early with the kernels not too big. And it must be a super-sweet variety.)

coltrane 5 years, 7 months ago

fresh corn, apples, asparagus, zuchinni, squash

autie 5 years, 7 months ago

although it is locally grown..in Scotland. My preference would be barley. slowly smoked by a peat fire, then fermented. Second would be the home grown fresh peaches. Or maybe the brussel sprouts out of my backyard.

spacehog 5 years, 7 months ago

The radio makes hideous sounds.-Bob Dylan

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 7 months ago

Girlfriend.--Good Golly, Molly!!! Dem is sum big eyes.--Are the hops Free State uses grown locally? If so, winner.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Sarah Palin will pry your Klondike bar from your cold dead fingers.

H_Lecter 5 years, 7 months ago

Harley,That's one no one would eat...probably tastes like dried prunes.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 7 months ago

Mangoes! It's just that they're not locally grown here.Oh, and Molly!! Wow, you've got the insectoid look down solid!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

I just knew that somebody was gonna go there.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 7 months ago

Very politically incorrect OTS question.