Previous   Next

Did your parents ration your Halloween candy?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 30, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, of course. My sister and I would lay it all out and divide it evenly. Then we would trade for our favorites, but we could only have so much before we went to bed. It was supposed to last us until Thanksgiving.”

“Oh yeah, definitely. They took it away once I got home, and I would have to ask them if I wanted a piece. But it didn’t scar me for life, so I’m passing the rule on to my two boys.”

“Yes, they did. They let us have whatever we wanted that night, but after that we could only have so many after dinner or on special occasions. Our candy lasted for a long time.”

“Oh yeah. I got to eat whatever I could Halloween night, but after that they took control. I usually only got to have some if I was well behaved.”

Related story

Comments

Corey Keizer 5 years, 5 months ago

Rationing is communist? You mean communist like1940's America during WWII?

classclown 5 years, 5 months ago

A little off topic, but any of you peanut butter lovers have a peanut butter shake from Sheridan's? Man that stuff is good!

classclown 5 years, 5 months ago

Count me in as a member of the weirdwaxypeanutbutterylovin' bunch. I'm a peanut butter hound. I'll eat anything having to do with peanut butter.

sdinges 5 years, 5 months ago

My mom paid some lip service to "don't eat too much, or you'll get sick," but we were basically left to gorge ourselves. The only thing she put her foot down about was that we were only allowed to bring two pieces of candy to school each day.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

H_L, hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Pure evil! I love it. >:)

H_Lecter 5 years, 5 months ago

until they suddenly and mysteriously died

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

No, but I was trick or treating during the War, so all I got was government rations.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of Halloween. We went to the local Wal Mart last night to stock up on candy for the trick or treaters..you know, the funny little beggers that will be at your door tomorrow night. Anyway, we decided to wait until now because if I bought earlier, the grandkids and my wife would be all over it and the good stuff gone long before the doorbell every rang...OK? We beeline to the aisle we knew it was in..rows and rows of mixed stuff, good stuff, cheap stuff..I turned the corner to see a bunch of bare shelves with a few boxes..Upon closer inspection..CANDY CANES!!! For cryin out loud, it is not even November or Halloween yet and they moved the Halloween candy for Christmas crap..You want to know what is really wrong with America today? there you have it. Remember when Halloween was Halloween and Santa wasn't stickin his a** in the middle of it?

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

My parents didn't have to ration my stash, I had a big sister for that. When I was little she'd trade me 3 tootsie rolls for a candy bar and I thought I was rich. By the end of the night I'd look in my bag and all there would be was tootsie rolls, smarties, and of course those mary jane peanut butter things. Then I got older and much wiser then my older sister. I'd hide my candy and eat very little of it. Then when my sisters candy was all gone I'd pull out a couple fun size snickers and then sit there and enjoy the butt kissing. I think those few weeks after Halloween I didn't have to do dishes once! Man, I miss all that power... I mean, Halloween.

bombshell 5 years, 5 months ago

My parents didn't ration out my halloween candy... my little brother and I would trade some favorites (as a kid, I wanted as many reeses peanutbutter cups as possible)... but then we'd both be able to keep our pillowcases full of candy under our beds and enjoy them as we pleased. Needless to say, my candy did NOT last until thanksgiving... and I would also sneak into my little brothers room and steal from him.... he stole from me, too so it was healthy sibling rivalry at its best.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

weirdwaxypeanutbutterylovin' = taffy, you old clowns, witches, hippiesand Frankensteins.Heck no, I'm old enough we just headed out with friends, went anywhere in our huge group of streets, and had at it. We started eating as soon as we got some and didn't stop unless it interfered with our costume or playing. We used the large brown grocery sacks back then, and they usually came home full. Show off to the parents, head for the bedroom, and start reviewing the stash.Trading the next day, unless a friend spent the night.Now my kids, I went with them (when young) and looked through things before they ate it.That is the most important step, as it gives you time to toss your favorites behind the cannisters, etc., before the kids have memorized every piece and how many of each!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

acg, I was going to say "Yes. It's just you." But Autie proved me wrong. There are two of you. :)No. No rationing. Mom would just say "Don't make yourselves sick." She also hated Halloween and told us we were no better than beggars. Different times.

coolmom 5 years, 5 months ago

i think they tried to ration but with 6 of us it was too much and they finally just gave in except for we were required to hand over a candy fee to get back in the door. usually these weird little waxy things lol.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

acg, lol! yep i think there's only a few of those weirdwaxypeanutbutterylovin' folks around! ;)and oh hey, in my kidhood and also my kid's kidhoods, we did have a holiday after halloween; it was (still is i imagine) called "all saint's day" and therefore we had no school! at our catholic school anyways. :)

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

and I don't think I have ever rationed my kids candy. We would bring it home, look it over, throw out what looked suspicious. the kids would trade what they didn't like, hubby and I got what none of them liked (which is usually what we liked), and then we tell them not to eat so much to get sick or only eat so many.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't think my parents rationed our candy. They just took some that they liked, or we gave them what we didn't like, and then us kid would put it away where they couldn't find it.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

ration? are you serious. My mother thought she rationed..HA!. She would say, Now you guys only eat a couple of those and go to bed. Then she went to bed and we ate candy. acg, you are not the only one lovin those peanut butter things...they do indeed rock.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, my dad "rationed" our candy...as in stealing what he wanted from it, if you can call that rationing!

acg 5 years, 5 months ago

Am I the only person in the world that loves those "weird waxy peanutbuttery things wrapped in orange or black"? Those things rock! We were allowed to have 5 pieces of whatever we wanted after trick or treating Halloween night. I can understand the rationing because by then it's late and the kids have to go to bed (usually for school the next day--and btw, why can't the day after Halloween be a holiday for Pete's sake?) and you don't want the little darlings to be bouncing off the walls. Before we were allowed to pick, though, they went thru it with a fine toothed comb. I grew up in the age of needles in your popcorn balls urban legends and the whole cyanide in the tylenol fiasco of the 80's so my parents were paranoid about everyone. Anyhoo, after the 5 pieces we got Halloween night, my mom would put it away to doll out slowly, but somehow, every year all the Reese's always came up missing and us kids never got a single one.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

ooooo, that jason guy! ~~looook into my eeeeyyyeeeessss~~hah...halloween candy is fair gotten gains! my kids would take their bounty to their rooms&hide it from ME, otherwise i'd be having all the good stuff out of the mix! leaving them those weird waxy peanutbuttery things wrapped in orange or black. yuk.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't allowed to go out. My mom called it organized begging.

nobody1793 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow. Really thought provoking OTS. Maybe tomorrow they can ask "is it sunny out" and get everyone's opinion about it.