Previous   Next

Do you take advantage of the sunlight to help heat your home?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“I do actually, especially lately with the nice weather. I’ve been seeing how long I can go without turning on the heat, but it looks like I might be about that time.”

“I do open up the drapes to let the light in because I have good eastern/southern exposure, but I don’t have any skylights or solar panels.”

“Not on purpose. I don’t really think about letting the sun in during the day, but I haven’t turned on the heat yet. I might consider it once I get the bill.”

“Yes, of course. In fact I’ve been designing the house I’m planning to build in North Carolina to take full advantage of the sunlight, natural water flow and precipitation.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

I have some excited photons in a mason jar sitting on my coffee table right now.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

No, but I have been known to take advantage of the sunlight for self-pleasurement.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

. . . . wonder if that's gonna get pulled.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes. I have stacks of black 50 gallon water-filled drums sitting on the far wall (made of brick) in my basement with a glass wall facing south. The drums collect heat via sunlight during the day, then let off the heat at night which comes up through grates in the floor. The cool air recycles down the stairs where it is then heated, and the process continues.Just kidding. I have lots of trees, covered porches, and deep eaves. The best I could do would be to buy some thermal curtains to keep the cold out...if I were a curtain type person. Country living doesn't require curtains.

alm77 5 years, 9 months ago

It's one of our biggest arguments. I insist that opening the door helps, my husband insists it does not. So, I only leave it open while he's at work!!

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Holy god. . . . I think that I may have to concede that scooter season is pretty much over. /shivering//no, shuddering

Deja Coffin 5 years, 9 months ago

I should take more advantage of it but then people would see how crazy my hair can get. I once scared off a couple of those door to door religion people, what the heck are they called? I never seen two people politely excuse themselves so fast before.

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't take advantage of the sunlight, but my cats do!!

Calliope877 5 years, 9 months ago

Sunlight makes me cranky...doom and gloom is much more fun.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

H_lector: "No sunlight penetrates here. Warmed from within at 98.6...all the cozier when viewed in infrared."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

My favorite form of sunlight in the winter emanates from wood fires,long after the sun has set.

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

I am disappointed that H_lector didn't chime in on this one....