Previous   Next

Do you take advantage of the sunlight to help heat your home?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“I do actually, especially lately with the nice weather. I’ve been seeing how long I can go without turning on the heat, but it looks like I might be about that time.”

“I do open up the drapes to let the light in because I have good eastern/southern exposure, but I don’t have any skylights or solar panels.”

“Not on purpose. I don’t really think about letting the sun in during the day, but I haven’t turned on the heat yet. I might consider it once I get the bill.”

“Yes, of course. In fact I’ve been designing the house I’m planning to build in North Carolina to take full advantage of the sunlight, natural water flow and precipitation.”

Related story

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

I think he's mentioned having a solar furnace in the basement before.hmmm// time to go read some red meat comics

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

H_lector: "No sunlight penetrates here. Warmed from within at 98.6...all the cozier when viewed in infrared."

labmonkey 5 years, 5 months ago

I am disappointed that H_lector didn't chime in on this one....

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

With three six by three windows on each side of this old church..sunlight is a big issuel The little mini blinds don't insulate much. And I'm with Sue..while I'm not "in the country', I'm in a little country town on one of the last streets, with empty lots on the window side.Since this whole place goes to bed by 9 except me, I figure anyone out after dark is probably evil and deserves seeing me naked. jonas...pulled....rirl (rolling in recliner laughing)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

My favorite form of sunlight in the winter emanates from wood fires,long after the sun has set.

Calliope877 5 years, 5 months ago

Sunlight makes me cranky...doom and gloom is much more fun.

wildsun22 5 years, 5 months ago

i use the sunlight to cut coupons by.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

I should take more advantage of it but then people would see how crazy my hair can get. I once scared off a couple of those door to door religion people, what the heck are they called? I never seen two people politely excuse themselves so fast before.

Pywacket 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes. We built and landscaped to take advantage of the copious sunlight here (in what I think of as the deep south). Good insulation & double-paned windows help keep the heat in. The deciduous trees we planted south and west of the house are now tall enough to function as intended--they keep out a lot of sun in the summer, but their bare winter forms let in all available light. Our heating/cooling bills are a lot lower than those of friends who have smaller houses. If I ever build again, I will do some things differently, but the landscaping has worked out very well.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't take advantage of the sunlight, but my cats do!!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes. I have stacks of black 50 gallon water-filled drums sitting on the far wall (made of brick) in my basement with a glass wall facing south. The drums collect heat via sunlight during the day, then let off the heat at night which comes up through grates in the floor. The cool air recycles down the stairs where it is then heated, and the process continues.Just kidding. I have lots of trees, covered porches, and deep eaves. The best I could do would be to buy some thermal curtains to keep the cold out...if I were a curtain type person. Country living doesn't require curtains.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Holy god. . . . I think that I may have to concede that scooter season is pretty much over. /shivering//no, shuddering

spiderman 5 years, 5 months ago

go to JCPenney and order some 'jewel-tex' lined draperies.

spiderman 5 years, 5 months ago

marion is correct - those 'mini-blinds' might have been subsidized by the utilities to increase heating bills.conventional roller blinds and drapery work better to stop heat loss.the best that a window can do is R-1 folks.

invictus 5 years, 5 months ago

I use the sun's energy stored in natural gas to heat my home.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

The reality is that in most homes, unless fitted with double or triple-paned windows, the insolation gain is far less than the heat loss through the windows.The sunlight may feel good but having the shades drawn in winter will save energy and save you money.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

In all reality, I believe sunlight is the only form of anything that heats my home..It's just that some of that sunlight hit the earth about 60 or 80 million years ago.

alm77 5 years, 5 months ago

It's one of our biggest arguments. I insist that opening the door helps, my husband insists it does not. So, I only leave it open while he's at work!!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Remind me not to mess with one Mr. Hornbuckle.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

. . . . wonder if that's gonna get pulled.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

No, but I have been known to take advantage of the sunlight for self-pleasurement.

blue73harley 5 years, 5 months ago

The cats get PO'd if I don't open the blinds.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I have some excited photons in a mason jar sitting on my coffee table right now.