Previous   Next

What do you do to save money when shopping for groceries?

Asked at Checkers Foods, 2300 La. on October 27, 2008

Browse the archives

“I look for the sale tags, but I don’t do coupons. I usually ignore the end caps, because a lot of times it’s stuff I don’t really want, and if it is, then I’d rather see its price along with the other products like it.”

“I just try to find the least expensive product by keeping an eye on the quantity that I’m getting for the price. I also try to buy things I use regularly in bulk, if I can.”

“I tend to stick to fresh produce that’s on sale or in season. Food that’s in season or produced locally is usually considerably less expensive.”

“I just look for the sale tags and stock up on anything on sale that will keep for a while.”

Related story

Comments

rantor 5 years, 5 months ago

I like to go into the Merc and shout, "Someone just shot Obama" and "Look, It's John McCain", just to see the freaks gasp.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 5 months ago

I am currently purchasing only the highest priced items so as to insure I will have no wealth for Obama and his band of congressional thugs to redistribute.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

Multi: "And big does are great sport and fine eating. (somebody had to say it :D ) No. No one had to say it... but you're right. Had some venis... veal...well, SOME v-delicacy, recently, and it was incomparable.Not so much "melted in the mouth" as danced on the tongue.( OK... now I'm going to have to stop interacting online with Multi.When will I learn? )

daddax98 5 years, 5 months ago

actually it is News"y" and legit. basically it says that passing gas lowers your blood pressure

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

I use the automated checkout lane and select "Español" as the interactive language. I'm sure I'm saving oodles!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

daddax98..I'm not touchin that link with a ten foot bean counter!:P

daddax98 5 years, 5 months ago

"Beans. Eat lots of beans. They are cheap, filling, nutritious, and they double as biological weapons."and the health benefits are greathttp://inventorspot.com/articles/dont_mind_that_smell_its_my_blood_pressure_falling_18926

bevy 5 years, 5 months ago

I shop at Aldi a lot. Their stuff is great and way cheaper than most other stores in town. I don't mind the warehouse atmosphere, waiting in line or sacking my own groceries. Their produce is usually pretty nice, too! That being said, I'm feeding a hubby, three kids, and fairly often my grandpa, so we tend to eat a lot of noodles, potatoes, and rice. With veggies, of course, and some meat. Makes it hard to stick to a low-carb diet, though.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

maybe I could have qualified that a little clearer..I did say unless you're active, sorry I forgot about the retirees with that benefit..mea culpea. Madmike, my fullest respects. I just know others that cheat that system at every opportunity. And a few other tax dodging schemes.

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

Multi - Steet and sour kitty! OR - The poo-poo puppy platter:)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

Cheeseburger..congrats on using 'ilk' on the OTS!(I think donnut was kidding)IF my cat continues his path of knocking over boxes..I plan to fatten him up and cook General Tso's Cat for my Christmas dinner.

coolmom 5 years, 5 months ago

dont shop hungry, dont shop with the hubby or the kids. make a list and then see whats on a good sale. make large amounts of stew etc and freeze. i exchange nights once a week with a neighbor cooking a big batch of something especially in winter. tonight i made two large pots of stew in crock pots and took one to her house and plugged it in along with dropping off a loaf of fresh bread and a gallon of milk so when she gets home her family has a homecooked meal she will do the same for me on wensday which is a hectic day for our family.

cheeseburger 5 years, 5 months ago

donnuts - I see you are a student of Obama's spread-the-wealth plan. You go in and steal things or take things meant for others; meanwhile, the rest of us who are working 40+ hours a week can go in and pay higher grocery prices to fund your shoplifting. I see a problem with that, but I guess you, and people of your ilk, do not. H-m-m-m-m.

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

Autie, I know that you probably never served in the military by the stupid remark you just made. Since the military does not pay equally with the civilian world, they established the Post Exchange and Commissary systems to help military families do better on their limited budgets. If you are in the military, or served long enough to retire, you have earned the priveledge of purchasing items there. If it hurts your liberal feelings so bad because I served my 20 plus years in the military, then maybe you should enlist and you too can make do with less than your civilian counterparts.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I buy the cans that just have "FOOD" printed on a plain white label.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

Buy lots and lots of basics - rice, pasta, onions, carrots and celery, potatoes, cheese, dried beans, eggs, etc. and supplement with fresh or frozen green vegetables and inexpensive cuts of meat or tofu. Actually LOOK at the prices when buying canned goods because that three or four cents per can adds up fast. Sometimes the name brands are less expensive than the store brand but you have to pay attention. The other part is learn how to actually cook. That will save you more money than anything. Sad to say but too many people have no idea how to perform this basic skill and rely on "Hamburger Helper" and frozen entrees.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

spammer89 (Anonymous) says:"Shop at Checkers:..that would have been my answer:"like i said, sacrifice quality.

spammer89 5 years, 5 months ago

Shop at Checkers.....that would have been my answer...

Pink_Sock 5 years, 5 months ago

Profeta's McDonalds Dollar Menu every other day too...

Pink_Sock 5 years, 5 months ago

Burrito King for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. gag

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

the betty crocker of the day award goes to-hawklet21!!!! i betcha you make your mama proud! :)

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

Now there is a fine piece of responsible citizenery in action..shop on post and avoid that pesky sales tax. Let your friends and neighbors pick up your burden. Unless your active..??Down here the cool thing was to maintain a PO box in Oklahoma and then register your vehicles down there to avoid paying any property tax..the state finally put an end to that one but some still dodge.

cheeseburger 5 years, 5 months ago

Jonas - I hope you're joking!donnuts - you're a real piece of work. Your parents must be proud of all you've become!

madmike 5 years, 5 months ago

We use the military commissary at Ft. Leavenworth to buy everything except beef, veggies and dairy products. You don't pay any taxes on them at all.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

What a great day to get up and running again!Hello everyone! :D I drive to Emporia to save. The small town grocery here is 1/3 to 1/2 higher than Lawrence prices, so if I'm spending over $18 to 22 dollars, it pays for the gas into the big city. (wink) Hey gas here is down to $2.25..what is it up there? It drops 3 -5 cents a day now.----oldvet (Anonymous) says: Shoot the big doe: better eating than an old buck:+++oldvet ..you got that right..old bucks can make for troublesome eating..hard to get the pay off they had when they were young and tender. And big does are great sport and fine eating.(somebody had to say it :D )Things I'm learning down here..about lunch means be ready at 6 am. Today they are moving the piano to the church... This should be amusing.sue..you're going to get someone talking about biosolids again!And why don't doesn't Van Camps put pull tops on the regular size cans?? Just the tiny cans.:)

Lisia 5 years, 5 months ago

Make a list, shop sales, stock up on non-perishable foods, get seasonal veggies and freeze them, and when I use coupons, only buy stuff I would use anyway. Buying an item just because there's a coupon for it really doesn't save me money.I like the soup/stew idea as well. Currently, I'm stretching some chicken and dumplings- it'll be the third set of dumplings I put in, and the chicken and veggies will finally be gone.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

Good way to stretch food a bit farther:I also make what my mother used to make...freezer soup!All left-overs go into a plastic ice-cream bucket in the freezer. When it is full, it gets dumped into a stew pot and viola! Something that resembles vege soup. You would be amazed at what you can get away with putting in there. I usually add some canned tomatoes and half a head of cabbage to the end product. (Made some yesterday...it was delish.) My kids will often whine at left-overs, but they always like this soup. Go figure!

hawklet21 5 years, 5 months ago

I like to plan a few days of meals, account for whatever snacks we might want, and make a list accordingly. My worst shopping trips are when I go to the store tired, hungry, and without a list because I end up with whatever junk food is on sale at the moment.

ms_canada 5 years, 5 months ago

I have found a couple of stores in a strip mall that have really good but cheap stuff. One carries only package goods and has about 20 freezers of frozen pkg. meat like ribs in sauce. The other store offers veg and fruit that is a little old but if I pick carefully I can get some bargains. I also buy on sale, case lots of things I use all the time, like diced tomatoes, mushroom soup etc. We do not eat fast food junk. only stuff that I cook from scratch. Except for those ribs in sauce, I love those. I do like trinity does, big pots of beans, chili and stews. Great tasting, nourishing food like my mama made.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

Trobs 5 years, 5 months ago

Best way to save money? Make sure I go with my wife to the store. Otherwise we end up with thirty pounds of coffee, ten pounds of bacon, five cartons of eggs and bottled water. Then I get yelled at for not taking my lunch to work.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

the easiest way for me to save money at the store is to leave the hubby and the kids at home!

spiderman 5 years, 5 months ago

shop at Farmers Market or Checker's for produce #1.shop at Aldi & Checkers for non-perishable pantry items #2shop at the Casbah or Merc for bulk food items #3shop at the above stores and focus on sale items each shopping trip.with a well stocked pantry at home - you can accumulate thingsbought on sale - then just shop for meat & perishables at yourfavorite place.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

carry a very large yet fashionable handbag. :) just kidding...when it looks like my grocery fundage is going to run low i will buy things that can stretch-no, not Velveeta; rather, a hunk of beef&some nice veggies to make a stew (can eat off that for days!), or a big ol' package of great northern beans&some ham hocks, another great stretched meal! heck even big batches of chili (freeze some) or spaghetti sauce, etc...i have poverty down to a fine art. :)

ReachAround 5 years, 5 months ago

i eat my own feces for breakfast.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

slip the checker a twenty to slide half the stuff past the scanner without pinging.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Have a friend cause a distraction and push your cart out the door. Bring your own reusable bags for best effect.

oldvet 5 years, 5 months ago

Shoot the big doe... better eating than an old buck...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

After the wealth is redistrubuted, we'll all be eating sea-weed crackers & solyent green.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

POTATOCHImPPS 5 years, 5 months ago

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

I usually take things instead of paying for them. The other helpful hint is going when they are handing out samples and changing hats. The bakery at Dillons will hand cookies out to kids so I go there and ask kids outside if they will ask for Cookies.

H_Lecter 5 years, 5 months ago

If you want to save on the freshest meat, nothing beats killing it yourself.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

I buy fewer items. It works every time.