Previous   Next

Do you support the infrastructure sales tax increase?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“I support it. I live in east Lawrence and don’t have a car, so I bike a lot. It would be nice to have the streets repaved and to have the Burroughs Creek trail as well.”

“I absolutely do. I have already sent in my advanced ballot. I live in North Lawrence, so I think it directly impacts us, especially with the stormwater improvements. I think the North Lawrence infrastructure deserves more attention than it gets.”

“With the economy in the state it’s in, I’m afraid most people will say no. But I think it’s important to keep things up for our future generations and to make sure our city looks good and does well.”

“Increased taxes for those types of things are fine with me.”

Related story

Comments

slappedyomomma 5 years, 6 months ago

potatochips"If you don't maintain the standard of building codes in the city there is nothing to prevent a building from falling in the future or having to have it be torn down and something rebuilt in it's place which costs more in the long run. There is nothing that would prevent it from falling like the Hyatt Regency in 1980 in KC."...............................................how exactly do you "maintain the standard of building codes"??????? what you said makes absolutely no sense. and the Hyatt collapse of 1981 happened BECAUSE they didn't follow the current code at that time. the flooring for the suspended walkway weren't attached correctly which made them not able to handle the load.P.S. vote NO for this increase. the tax rates will never be lowered. let the city find their money somewhere else. raising taxes while the economy is stalled is idiotic and crazy.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 6 months ago

The Hooters of North Lawrence will go well. Those chicks from the Bird and All Stars can work there and get a 401K.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

"People took grimpeur's comment seriously?" Jonas OApparently so. What happened to humor and fun? George... you are a very smart guy. Please buy the batteries to the sarcarsmometer I bought you.Bonus points... a Lulu post! I love her.

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmm. Did you ever think about living within your means? It's called personal responsibility. You are the one who chose to buy a car that you can't afford, a house that you can't afford, and credit cards that you can't afford.___grimpeur (Anonymous) says: NO to fire trucks and streets. NO to paths. NO to transit. NO to infrastructure improvements in N. Lawrence. I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So:NO.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

People took grimpeur's comment seriously?

Lulu 5 years, 6 months ago

These roads need to turn to dirt and the peoples need to walk and not drive because driving hurts our environment substainable highways were used for thousands of years. Get a grip

Nikki May 5 years, 6 months ago

If it had more of a plan, I'd be more for it. I do think the North Lawrence part is important and the fire trucks would be good, but I'm still struggling with the streets part. Also, the walking trail I'm for if there is money, but it's not a high priority thing. It would be like an individual saying they can't pay their house payment, car payment, whatever this week, but they still are going out to the movie or something.

notajayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

grimpeur (Anonymous) says: "I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So:NO."Sorry to hear you're so overextended, grimpie. You should have been more careful with your money.Both of my cars are paid for (paid cash for both). I have no credit cards. I have one child and one more on the way, that's all we're having. We rent, and interest charges aren't going to affect us because the owner had this building paid for a long time ago. And if I could, I'd vote no. Since I don't (thank the lord) live in Larryville, I'll do the next best thing and vote with my wallet - I'll just shop elsewhere. I have never used the mT, I will never use the mT, and I see no reason to pay for the mT.

XD40 5 years, 6 months ago

NO to all of it. No to the mT. No to 'improvements'. Until the city commission and staff get spending under control and the city starts growing agin, we should say 'NO' to any proposed increase in taxes. No roundabouts, no trails, no sculpture, no downtown festivals. Enough is enough!

hitme 5 years, 6 months ago

Personally, I think the new floating riverboat Hooters/City of Lawrence casino is the idea to go with.

Defender 5 years, 6 months ago

"NO to fire trucks and streets. NO to paths. NO to transit. NO to infrastructure improvements in N. Lawrence. I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So:NO."Idiotic. You're just making up BS to support your cause. People ARE maxed out, but not just because of the reasons you stated. Making such general, sweeping judgements just shows how ignorant you are.

SMe 5 years, 6 months ago

Hate to tell you this David but East Lawrence streets are NOT on the list of Four major streets to get repaired. They're basically all on the West side of town. Gee, who's surprised about that?

grimpeur 5 years, 6 months ago

NO to fire trucks and streets. NO to paths. NO to transit. NO to infrastructure improvements in N. Lawrence. I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So...NO.

killjoy 5 years, 6 months ago

The unannounced agenda is to build a roundabout at every intersection on those streets

Eybea Opiner 5 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't trust the politicos of Lawrence, KS to spend wisely, so my vote is, "No."

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

and we can build a new library, and remodel the train depotand build more parks, the possibiites are endless.maybe even a homeless shelterthis will be so much fun,and the out of towners have to pay for itwoo wooi wonder if the city will remember to fix the streetswith all the fun they are having?

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes, because if it is spent properly then it will save money in the future when things only have to be maintained instead of rebuilt.

POTATOCHImPs 5 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely. Without water quality that way it would be and roads in disrepair there will be more diseases and accidents for the general person to put up with. This would cost the general person more to deal with. If things in the general public are not taken care of then the average person has more to deal with and if roads are in disrepair then people have more catastrophes. They end up paying more for things to get done in the long run if they don't apply things for the sake of preventative maintenance.If you don't maintain the standard of building codes in the city there is nothing to prevent a building from falling in the future or having to have it be torn down and something rebuilt in it's place which costs more in the long run. There is nothing that would prevent it from falling like the Hyatt Regency in 1980 in KC. The long term effects of which cost lives and much more money in insurance fees for the general building holder because the area is taken care of.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 6 months ago

How did the LJW find four shepole in a row?oh waitDowntown Lawrence.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Well, here we are, from the article."The most recent scenario from the city indicates that over 10 years, the city would spend about $22 million to rebuild parts of four major streets - Bob Billings Parkway, Kasold Drive, 19th Street and Wakarusa Drive."There's nothing wrong with 3 of those streets, and I don't know if you can even do anything to fix the problem with 19th, that problem being that it's only one lane. Why are we so focused on so few streets, that get repaired year after year after year, when they don't need to be?

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

I would, but I seem to recall my wife saying that this tax will go largely towards the main roads that already get fixed every year anyway. If this was to fix some of the smaller roads in bad need of repair, then I could consider it, but it never seems to work that way.