Previous   Next

Do you support the infrastructure sales tax increase?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“I support it. I live in east Lawrence and don’t have a car, so I bike a lot. It would be nice to have the streets repaved and to have the Burroughs Creek trail as well.”

“I absolutely do. I have already sent in my advanced ballot. I live in North Lawrence, so I think it directly impacts us, especially with the stormwater improvements. I think the North Lawrence infrastructure deserves more attention than it gets.”

“With the economy in the state it’s in, I’m afraid most people will say no. But I think it’s important to keep things up for our future generations and to make sure our city looks good and does well.”

“Increased taxes for those types of things are fine with me.”

Related story

Comments

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

grimpeur (Anonymous) says: "I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So:NO."Sorry to hear you're so overextended, grimpie. You should have been more careful with your money.Both of my cars are paid for (paid cash for both). I have no credit cards. I have one child and one more on the way, that's all we're having. We rent, and interest charges aren't going to affect us because the owner had this building paid for a long time ago. And if I could, I'd vote no. Since I don't (thank the lord) live in Larryville, I'll do the next best thing and vote with my wallet - I'll just shop elsewhere. I have never used the mT, I will never use the mT, and I see no reason to pay for the mT.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

I would, but I seem to recall my wife saying that this tax will go largely towards the main roads that already get fixed every year anyway. If this was to fix some of the smaller roads in bad need of repair, then I could consider it, but it never seems to work that way.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, here we are, from the article."The most recent scenario from the city indicates that over 10 years, the city would spend about $22 million to rebuild parts of four major streets - Bob Billings Parkway, Kasold Drive, 19th Street and Wakarusa Drive."There's nothing wrong with 3 of those streets, and I don't know if you can even do anything to fix the problem with 19th, that problem being that it's only one lane. Why are we so focused on so few streets, that get repaired year after year after year, when they don't need to be?

SMe 5 years, 11 months ago

Hate to tell you this David but East Lawrence streets are NOT on the list of Four major streets to get repaired. They're basically all on the West side of town. Gee, who's surprised about that?

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

People took grimpeur's comment seriously?

grimpeur 5 years, 11 months ago

NO to fire trucks and streets. NO to paths. NO to transit. NO to infrastructure improvements in N. Lawrence. I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So...NO.

George_Braziller 5 years, 11 months ago

Hmmmm. Did you ever think about living within your means? It's called personal responsibility. You are the one who chose to buy a car that you can't afford, a house that you can't afford, and credit cards that you can't afford.___grimpeur (Anonymous) says: NO to fire trucks and streets. NO to paths. NO to transit. NO to infrastructure improvements in N. Lawrence. I have a very expensive car payment, several credit cards, too many kids, and a house I can't afford and whose interest rate is about to reset. So:NO.

killjoy 5 years, 11 months ago

The unannounced agenda is to build a roundabout at every intersection on those streets

Nikki May 5 years, 11 months ago

If it had more of a plan, I'd be more for it. I do think the North Lawrence part is important and the fire trucks would be good, but I'm still struggling with the streets part. Also, the walking trail I'm for if there is money, but it's not a high priority thing. It would be like an individual saying they can't pay their house payment, car payment, whatever this week, but they still are going out to the movie or something.

Lulu 5 years, 11 months ago

These roads need to turn to dirt and the peoples need to walk and not drive because driving hurts our environment substainable highways were used for thousands of years. Get a grip