Previous   Next

Do you think your home decor fits your personality?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. St. on October 23, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think so, just because it’s all stuff we’ve collected on our travels and pictures of people who are close to us.”

“Yes. I have a lot of black and white pictures, a lot of Elvis stuff and other retro-type things that I’m into.”

“Yeah, definitely. I’m one of those people who likes to remember everything through all of the pictures I have around my house.”

“I think my home decor fits my personality in that it looks like someone who knows me would expect it to look.”

Related story

Comments

preebo 6 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely, my wife decorates our house with cultural and indigenous art from our travels around the world. Since we have visited every continent, w/ the exception of Antartica, we have quite a bit of stuff around the house. We like to think of ourselves as Americans, first and foremost, but we'd also like to think of ourselves as citizens of the world as well. We recently added a piece from a Zimbabwean artist, Cloud Mataupe. It is a stone sculture titled Ashamed carved out of Verdite, which apparently is a rare mineral, only evident in Southern Africa. We also have an insane amount of plant-life in the house. It evidently lends itself to a more healthy home life, or that is what I've been told.

jonas_opines 6 years, 7 months ago

Hybrid. Our mask collection in the dining room and my Japanese room are both good, since the Japanese room is highly Orientalized, as if a white guy did it.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

Not in the least bit. My house is full of dress-up shoes, frilly dresses, pink and glitter, and hair bows. So I take that back, yes my house does reflect my inner princess......or inner Boy George....now that's just scary.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

coolmom, close your eyes and you can be there with me already!sgt, don't tempt me! I'm pretty sure I could get the hubby to dig the moat. Wearing the kilt is another issue. Then, when I imagine him talking with a thick Scottish brogue it just makes me giggle. (This fantasy is falling apart rather quickly. That's what I get for over-thinking things.)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Jumbled, cluttered and disorganized? Absolutely.Oh, and sue, given your affinity for home construction projects, it wouldn't surprise me if you DID start digging a moat.

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

yes, auctions and yard sales are me. ;)

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 7 months ago

Yankees suck.Oh, and yes to the question. But really, Yankees suck.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

schula - good for you. The Outlander series is one of the very best. sue can attest to that also, can't you sue. Tell schula all about your trip to the book signing. I read that whole series twice. I have heard that every female reading those books is madly in love with Jamie. To answer the question, I love old antique furniture and so my home reflects that. I love beautiful wood, so my walnut floors reflect that.

Kyle Neuer 6 years, 7 months ago

Record store meets library meets cartoon.Aaaaah, bachelor living.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Imagine a library that's run into a hardware store, that's my living room.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

R_I, sounds like someone is a closet Gabaldon reader. Besides, you say "smut" like it's a bad thing. You know, in some countries, smut is a delicacy:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/14/AR2007021400391.html

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Book signing? Oh! You mean that "girls weekend away" to see Diana herself in Boulder. I must recommend this awesome B&B in Boulder. (Well, as soon as I remember the name I'll recommend it.) The co-owner (Steve) must have opened 8 bottles of wine for us gals during his porch party. His partner (I'll call him Humbug Dude) was not at all happy because Steve opened 7 more bottles than he was supposed to and he was having way too much fun with the girls. Poor Humbug Dude!schula, As per the books...awesome! Gabaldon just needs to get on the ball with the next one. I'm getting a wee bit impatient. Maybe I should follow Ms_C's lead and re-read the series.

acg 6 years, 7 months ago

Right now my home decor is Fisher Price Fabulous so, prolly not. :(

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

Post-industrial ghetto chic, accented with faux leopard flair.( Now if I could only find my velvet Elvis.... )

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

No! It's not me at all. Since the "real" me lives in a castle in Scotland surrounded by giant man-servants wearing kilts, I don't think that my "antique oil-rig tool box coffee table" matches at all. *Note to self: replace lighting fixtures with torches and start digging moat.

acg 6 years, 7 months ago

"orange street cones (sigh, no clue why)" coolmom.You know, when I was a teen, I had a ton of those things too. Street cones and street signs. I'm not sure why teenagers are so into that type of decor. Maybe it's a badge of honor thing because we know we stole them. :)

coolmom 6 years, 7 months ago

sunflower can i come with? my house looks like the kids personality more than the adults honestly with computer geekdom thrown in for the hubby's part lol. really do we have to have all this computer stuff? i have decorated my bedroom some but soon withing the next few years when the kids leave home (hopefully) i can do something about decorating without it being pointlessly covered up by video games, rock band items, jackets, backpacks, sporting goods,orange street cones (sigh, no clue why) other peoples teenagers, and dmv manuals.

schula 6 years, 7 months ago

Sue: I am currently reading Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon and your reference to Scotland and your husband puts me in mind of Jamie. This series of boosk is awesome. Oh, and to answer the question, yes, my decor reflects me. I like sunflowers so I have that theme in my dining room/kitchen and I also like purple which I have going in my bedroom and bathroom.