Previous   Next

Do you think you have a smart pet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. I have a very instinctive cat, but I don’t know about smart.”

“Yes, I do. I have a very smart Yorkie. When it’s cold outside, she always wants to wear her sweater, and she won’t go outside when it’s raining because she doesn’t want to get wet.”

“Yeah, I think he’s smart. We just got a new puppy, and he already knows how to come when he’s called and how to sit.”

“I think my dog is good at figuring things out and putting things together, but I think it’s all in how you train them. Smart owners, smart pets.”

Related story

Comments

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely! I have three of them( all kitties). They are smart enough to play hide and seek with my jewelry, sewing items, and other "human" things. If they resent my using the computer, they simply lay themselves on the keyboard!My oldest one( a very rotund calico) knows when I'm sad or not feeling well. She comes and lays her head next to mine.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

TOB, this very minute, there is a house in Ohio where 87 lemurs are currently ready to cast their ballots. A scan of their microchips would reveal they all came from Snap's House of Happy Lemurs. I'm hoping the Ohio election board doesn't have scanners.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

One of my cats when he was a kitten had a wonderfully fun game called "Hide Sharp Things in Shoes." Tacks, bottle-caps, rocks. It showed wonderful selective instinct, as he definitely had to discern "sharp" objects before placing them in said shoes.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

logicsound: The cat we had when I was a kid knew enough to jump onto doorknobs and turn them with her weight. It might have been an accident, I suppose, but I saw it happen.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

My lemur's a ghost-writer for Stephen Hawking.

yankeevet 6 years, 2 months ago

I have a 4 years old siberian husky; he can open up the refrigerator (rope tied too handle); bring me a cold beer; so now if i could just teach him too open it; but i am afraid he would drink it...................

Trobs 6 years, 2 months ago

My cat pulled a plastic can of treats off the fridge, drug it up the stairs, popped the top and left it in the middle of the stairs. No treats gone. A warning? I think so.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

A dog that wants to wear a sweater when it's cold is not a smart dog.As to the question: I don't have any pets ... unless you count my cameras, in which case: yes, my pets are extremely smart.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't care much for dogs, but I've never met a retriever that wasn't a great animal. Sorry for Winston's passing, mike. We know they are just furry critters, but they sure can bring joy to our lives. Our two cats are pretty and lovable, and fortunately one of them is good at hunting scorpians. However, I'm not sure if they are any smarter than their feline peers. None of 'em can fetch worth a darn.

staff04 6 years, 2 months ago

No, but I love him anyway. What he lacks in intelligence, he more than makes up for in the cuteness and love returned categories.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 2 months ago

My big golden retriever (whatever he is) is smart enough. My chihuahua is dumber than a stump.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 2 months ago

Let's see, she lays around all day, I buy her food, then feed and water her. Her single responsibility is to go potty outside? She and I know she is much smarter than I am. It's a dog's life.

Mixolydian 6 years, 2 months ago

My dog is extremely smart and helpful, in fact just the other day he assisted with cleaning the cat litter box by eating all the poo from it.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

blue, your lemur's so dumb he had to get Planck's Constant tatooed backwards on his rump so if he forgot the equation he could back up to a mirror & be reminded.