Previous   Next

Do you think you have a smart pet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. I have a very instinctive cat, but I don’t know about smart.”

“Yes, I do. I have a very smart Yorkie. When it’s cold outside, she always wants to wear her sweater, and she won’t go outside when it’s raining because she doesn’t want to get wet.”

“Yeah, I think he’s smart. We just got a new puppy, and he already knows how to come when he’s called and how to sit.”

“I think my dog is good at figuring things out and putting things together, but I think it’s all in how you train them. Smart owners, smart pets.”

Related story

Comments

madmike 5 years, 6 months ago

We had two cats too. My wife founf them in a basement when she was stationed at Fort Meade, MD. One dies at the age of 19 and the other, at the age of 23. We are looking for a Golden puppy.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't care much for dogs, but I've never met a retriever that wasn't a great animal. Sorry for Winston's passing, mike. We know they are just furry critters, but they sure can bring joy to our lives. Our two cats are pretty and lovable, and fortunately one of them is good at hunting scorpians. However, I'm not sure if they are any smarter than their feline peers. None of 'em can fetch worth a darn.

madmike 5 years, 6 months ago

My Golden Retriever, Winston passed away recently. I swear that he could read, understand English and tell time. He was 13 1/2. Best friend I ever had.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

logicsound: The cat we had when I was a kid knew enough to jump onto doorknobs and turn them with her weight. It might have been an accident, I suppose, but I saw it happen.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 6 months ago

My big golden retriever (whatever he is) is smart enough. My chihuahua is dumber than a stump.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Mixolydian~~ Ssshhhhh!!!! He thinks they're Tootsie Rolls! Don't spoil it for him!

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

Another amazing cat story. When I lived in an old rental house on Kentucky, I had a cat that was a great mouser. Every morning in the late fall, early winter I would find "trophies" on the floor. He would eat the entire mouse leaving only the nose and whiskers behind. Weird.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

In that respect, all pets are nothing more than minions of satan.

logicsound04 5 years, 6 months ago

All kidding aside, I saw my cat do something that I didn't really think cats had the capacity for...He is an indoor cat, but is always wanting outside. Everytime I go out on my balcony, he scurries out there to maximize his outdoors time while I am out there.At any rate, he was meandering around yowling about wanting to go out on the deck, but I wasn't interested. After he finally realized that I wasn't going outside, he walked over to the door and started looking up at the doorknob.After a few moments of pondering, he stood up on his hind legs, using the doorjamb to steady himself, and reached up and tried to "work" the doorknob.Now, I don't think for a second that he actually knew that the way outside was to turn the knob and pull open the door. However, I was still stunned to see that he had put 2 + 2 together to figure out that the doorknob was in some way related to the door opening. He knew that the door wasn't opening unless something happened to that thing sticking out of the door.Amazing.

Trobs 5 years, 6 months ago

My cat pulled a plastic can of treats off the fridge, drug it up the stairs, popped the top and left it in the middle of the stairs. No treats gone. A warning? I think so.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

I saw a rat terrier on one of those animal planet shows about "dog nanny" or something. He actually would open the dishwasher to use as a step to get on the counter, then rummage around, get into stuff and then pee on the microwave..bad dog, bad dog..

yankeevet 5 years, 6 months ago

I have a 4 years old siberian husky; he can open up the refrigerator (rope tied too handle); bring me a cold beer; so now if i could just teach him too open it; but i am afraid he would drink it...................

logicsound04 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't know, my cat only scored a 98 on the IQ test.I guess he's below average intelligence.

Mixolydian 5 years, 6 months ago

My dog is extremely smart and helpful, in fact just the other day he assisted with cleaning the cat litter box by eating all the poo from it.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

My dogs are all on board for Obama. But the cats seem to have some reluctance..they thought they heard Palin meowing on TV and cast their support to the Republicans..we did realize then that they have never ever been out of the house. Lemurhosen?? Does this increase the chance of being Hosed in the election?

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

snap - you are right. All my lemur actually does is work for ACORN and vandalize cars with McCain/Palin stickers. Or maybe he just works for acorns. I'm not sure. He tends to mumble a lot. I think he has been getting into my stash of brown liquour. As long as he leaves the ammo alone, we'll be alright.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

TOB, this very minute, there is a house in Ohio where 87 lemurs are currently ready to cast their ballots. A scan of their microchips would reveal they all came from Snap's House of Happy Lemurs. I'm hoping the Ohio election board doesn't have scanners.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget--it's illegal to wear partisan lemurhosen within 500 feet of the polls. Might be considered campaigning.We have a cat who loves to play fetch with pony beads and a dog who can (almost) see Missouri from his house, so he thinks he's an expert in interstate commerce.But, really-- EasyDoesIt nailed it at 9:03 a.m. Those critters have us all trained. They win.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Hot damn. Thanks Prospector. Octoberfest is back on tap. I probably shouldn't mention this to anyone.Snap - Are your lemurs registered to vote yet? Time is running out.

prospector 5 years, 6 months ago

There are no dumb pets, just dumb owners.TOB, Break out the lederhosen! Om Pah Pah

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

blue, your lemur's so dumb he had to get Planck's Constant tatooed backwards on his rump so if he forgot the equation he could back up to a mirror & be reminded.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

My pets smarter the Palin? You betcha! My Lab was somewhat of a maverick in his younger days but now just likes to lay around and talk about the good ole days. He also has two dog houses but rarely remembers where they all are as he sleeps in the house now.

couranna1 5 years, 6 months ago

all my pets are smarter than palinYogi for VP

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

My lemur edits Stephen Hawking's works.

Windlass 5 years, 6 months ago

Yup. He is as smart as Solomon. Smarter. The hardest crossword puzzle. A Rorschach test. The perfect high IQ biped's quadruped.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

A dog that wants to wear a sweater when it's cold is not a smart dog.As to the question: I don't have any pets ... unless you count my cameras, in which case: yes, my pets are extremely smart.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

My lemur's a ghost-writer for Stephen Hawking.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 6 months ago

Let's see, she lays around all day, I buy her food, then feed and water her. Her single responsibility is to go potty outside? She and I know she is much smarter than I am. It's a dog's life.

staff04 5 years, 6 months ago

No, but I love him anyway. What he lacks in intelligence, he more than makes up for in the cuteness and love returned categories.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

Not really. The beagle rings a bell when he wants to go outside, but then he just runs around in circles, nose to the ground. He digs for moles and tears up the yard, and thinks he can talk to coyotes. The other dog is just a fluffer, and just kinda twirls around like Lance Bass or something. But if you pick her up, she gives you this helping leap launch jump. No, not real smart, they are just stoopid duumb doggies.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

One of the cats is pretty good at differential calculus.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

My dachshund has to be one of the smartest dogs alive. She can trick all the rest of my pack..hide like she was shao lin. She is one sneaky little con artist. When she hears us coming from the kitchen, knowing it is scrap time, she will charge off the deck to the gate like she is barking at strangers to get all the rest to follow, then peel off and hustle back up to the back door so she gets first whack at whatever..while the rest are barking at the gate at nothing.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

One of my cats when he was a kitten had a wonderfully fun game called "Hide Sharp Things in Shoes." Tacks, bottle-caps, rocks. It showed wonderful selective instinct, as he definitely had to discern "sharp" objects before placing them in said shoes.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely! I have three of them( all kitties). They are smart enough to play hide and seek with my jewelry, sewing items, and other "human" things. If they resent my using the computer, they simply lay themselves on the keyboard!My oldest one( a very rotund calico) knows when I'm sad or not feeling well. She comes and lays her head next to mine.

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

My dog wants endless handouts and urinates on my McCain/Palin yard sign

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

My lemur is smarter than your lemur.