Previous   Next

Do you think you could write a novel?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not a long one. I’ve written a few short stories, but I don’t think I could write an entire novel.”

“Yeah, I think I could. I’ve always had a lot of different ideas for story lines.”

“No. I’m not that into writing. I like reading them, but I don’t think I could.”

“Absolutely. I’ve been teaching for 36 years, so I’ve got a lot of human-interest material to work with.”

Related story

Comments

David Lignell 5 years, 6 months ago

Pywacket,I know, let's write about writer's block...and then add the clever, original twist that it was all just a dream. Glad you liked the quote. It's one of my favorites. Dave

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

David L~ Love the quote from LH. In my many writing classes and forums over the years, nothing struck a sour note more quickly than stories about writers writing! They invariably discussed (what else?) writer's block... the pacing at 3:00 a.m., the anguished calling upon the muse... To me, such stories always said, "I waited until last night, after getting home trashed from the wheel, to start my writing assignment for today's class, and I couldn't think of anything to write about until a lightbulb went on over my head! How very clever of me--I will write about writer's block. I bet nobody has ever done that before!"

militant 5 years, 6 months ago

It's about Lee Harvey Oswald's secret son. He finally receives his mail-order Italian rifle in the mail in late February, 2009...

emily_litella 5 years, 6 months ago

...was a scene that made my heart race with excitement; there, hanging and drawn from the chandelier of the great hallway was the victim of the most agonizing death I could have imagined. The guts were everywhere and some still dripped onto the tin wheelbarrow that had been used to carry the victim into the hallway before the fatal carving. The chandelier swung slightly with the still heavy weight of the gutted victim. It was the largest carved Halloween pumpkin I'd ever seen. It must have been 250 lbs before it had its innards ripped out. Still it was a crime scene, mom was going to be really mad that the mess hadn't been cleaned up.

inmate 5 years, 6 months ago

...it hadn't rained in days and the sprinklers were set for morning, so I stood still and listened. There was a light rhythmic tinkling of cut glass accompanying the dripping, perhaps the chandelier. Closing the pantry door, I stepped lightly toward the door to the dining room. There was only the ambient light from the windows coming from beneath the door. I gently pushed the door open and searched the room with my eyes for the source of the sounds. There was a chandelier above the 12-person table, but it hung motionless and quiet. Entering the room, I walked close to the wall to prevent the floor from creaking. Seeing nothing disturbed, I stopped before the open doorway to the main hallway and vestibule. I listened. The sounds were more distinct and seemed to be coming from the main hallway. I drew a breath and leaned around the doorway molding. There...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Ernest said, "The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in,shock-proof shhh detector."

Agnostick 5 years, 6 months ago

Sure. I think anybody could write a novel, if they set their mind to it.More important question?Would anybody wanna read it...?Agnostickagnostick@excite.com

David Lignell 5 years, 6 months ago

"If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don't listen to writers talking about writing or themselves."- Lillian Hellman

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

I just finished my first book. ... Pretty soon, I'm gonna read another. -- Rodney Dangerfield

BABBOY 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes. But, publishing it and not losing money on it is the real issue.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

Sure, I am literate enough. good enough at telling stories and character depictions and eloquent enough with words and fluent enough with concepts. I do not mean to be conceited but my neighbors need to leave me alone to do it. I am sure I can compare with some best sellers. In fact a number of people that have read my stuff say I should get published. I knew someone in Lawrence and he moved to Engelwood Colorado and I chased him there to help me get published. By the time he moved he no longer was a publisher.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

snap: "Gone With the Lemurs" hits the bookstores next week."For those awaiting the DVD, here's the teaser trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqqMPPg2VI

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

Already have, "Gone With the Lemurs" hits the bookstores next week.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

RET: "How do you port something from stone tablet?"I would tell you, if I could do so without also revealingthe secrets of the pyramids!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 6 months ago

something that sounded like water dripping on sheet metal...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

"now I just need to find time to port and edit it." tangiHow do you port something from stone tablet?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

jonas: "After school."Ah... after school... another myth?Actually, mine was written decades ago...now I just need to find time to port and edit it.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

and hey, I heard that Colin Powell came out today or yesterday in support of Barrack Obama. Someone point me to Right-Thinker's reaction when that hits here, 'cuz it should be highly entertaining.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

I wrote a 130 page mythological history to a world, that I intend to write a series of novels on top of, but there's that elusive thing called spare time, and it will be a long project. After school.

H_Lecter 5 years, 6 months ago

and while the curious and fearful looked outside, I opened the kitchen door. I was humming Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, op. 73 by Beethoven as I set the convection oven to 350 degrees and opened the pantry door. As I perused the pantry, I thought to myself how enjoyed the opening strings more than the piano, but for some reason the song followed me. Through the swinging door, in another room, I could hear...

cutny 5 years, 6 months ago

uh...oops...She looked out into her backyard and saw Russia. She knew something wasn't quite right.

dminear60 5 years, 6 months ago

I think I would rather write a biography.

cutny 5 years, 6 months ago

She looked out into her backyard and could see Alaska. She knew something wasn't quite right...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

Peering out the window, she saw the horror. A McCain/Palin sign in her yard, for all the honest world to see. Someone had opened her closet door...

SMe 5 years, 6 months ago

He awoke to a strange odor and an even stranger color of sky...

sunflower_sue 5 years, 6 months ago

There was a mysterious scratching noise at my bedroom window...

prospector 5 years, 6 months ago

It was a dark and stormy night....