Previous   Next

Do you think it’s inappropriate to celebrate Columbus Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s fine to celebrate Columbus Day, because it happened and it’s history. And I got the day off.”

“Well, it’s not my favorite holiday. I think it needs to be re-evaluated and changed. I used to live in South Dakota, where it was known as Native American Day, which I think is much more appropriate.”

“Yes I do. It’s basically celebrating the beginning of a genocide. It’s not something we should be proud of. Columbus was completely disrespectful to the people he encountered here.”

“No. I think Columbus Day is appropriate. It’s a national, nonsecular holiday. I don’t find it discriminatory.”

Related story

Comments

beatrice 5 years, 10 months ago

Leif Ericson day. Heck, I'll celebrate Leif Garrett day if it gets me a day off.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 10 months ago

"Columbus didn't have a hand in what happened to the Native Americans." Actually, most historians agree that Columbus was personally responsible for killing thousands of indigenous peoples in what is now Haiti after he declared himself "governor". Seriously, not a good guy, and not deserving of a holiday named for him.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings!Eat Norman steel, you Saxon dog!

dminear60 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes. It is wrong to glorify Columbus. I think the good people of South Dakota have the right idea and we should celebrate and honor Native Americans, not Columbus.

SMe 5 years, 10 months ago

Of course we should. Columbus didn't have a hand in what happened to the Native Americans. Immigrants did.

Larry Bauerle 5 years, 10 months ago

Franco-American Day without Spaghetti-O's? Now THAT would be wrong!

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

""Yes I do. It's basically celebrating the beginning of a genocide. It's not something we should be proud of. Columbus was completely disrespectful to the people he encountered here."...Actually many Indian tribes who roamed the continent before Columbus, would often "eliminate" other tribes whom they encountered. Especially in the northern climates, where resources for survival where minimal. Slavery and genocide were prevalent way before Columbus. That said, I believe it is important to understand the relevance of the historical impact of his voyages, but it's time to abandon the celebration of Columbus the man. He was really not a very nice fellow.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm just going to re-paste my response from last year. jonas (Anonymous) says:"I was thinking, myself, that Colonialization and Exploitation Day sounded pretty good. To celebrate, I suggest that we all climb the fence into the neighbors yard, set up a tent and a grill, and eat burgers and drink beer all day. If they have any vegetables growing in a garden, take them as sides for your burgers!"

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

I think Prune has a good point ... nobody really pays attention to Columbus on Columbus Day, so I don't think it's an issue.

fastwalker 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Emily. The title of the holiday should be 'Indigenous Peoples Day'

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

Beefaroni isn't bad if you add a slice of cheese or some shredded Cheddar to it. Just nothing that contains those little meatballs or hot dogs. Myhusband has a recipe book called, A Man A Can A Plan, but I can't say we've made any of the recipes in it. Something about SpagettiO Stir-Fry just doesn't sound good.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm trying to have an opinion about this... really I am....( Maybe Jonas has another leftover from last year I can borrow... Indian giver that he is. )

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Don't get in an uproar, R_I, the Normans were really Vikings wearing berets & smoking unfiltered cigarettes. They weren't really French.

leadstone 5 years, 10 months ago

That's another disturbing fact. a French/American company making canned Italian food ( if you could call it that) Uh-Oh Spagetti Os! Darn right. Would we go to a rib-joint to get sushi? Or to a skate shop to get our car fixed? Or Lawrence Memorial to get a life saving procedure? Oh, yeah. Columbus was a goof.

BigPrune 5 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone REALLY celebrate Columbus Day? We should celebrate Columbus Day (we wouldn't be living here in Lawrence if it weren't for him initially spreading the "sprawl"), BUT - please keep the banks open for OUR convenience.

tonythetiger 5 years, 10 months ago

I am going to go celebrate Columbus Day with the Utes in Arizona. We are all going to go to the Quik Shop there and buy burritos. I can show them how I juggle hula hoops.

Meryl Carver 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't think any of the people that have days named after them are entirely good or entirely bad. For example, even Abe Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Columbus was not good to Native Americans once he got here, but I do feel like we should celebrate his acomplishments in exploration--at the time he lived, with the equipment they had, it was a pretty brave thing to cross the Atlantic Ocean.At the same time, why him? As others have said, why not celebrate all the early explorers, maybe with just "Explorer's Day".

Corey Keizer 5 years, 10 months ago

I celebrate Columbus day by leaving doody dollars in areas that are heavily traveled by white folks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiIVEi...

Corey Keizer 5 years, 10 months ago

Did you seriously just say "The Blacks"... I know that family and they don't have a holiday.

wagonburner23 5 years, 10 months ago

Columbus Day should be native american day. The blacks, hispanics, presidents, veterans, and even a freaking groundhog has a holiday. At least the Native Americans should have a holiday.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

Damn, Bea! You took my Leif Garrett comment. (That's what I get for checking in late.)Nobody remembers it's Columbus day unless they need to go to the bank, the post office, or if they meander down the driveway afterdark with a tiny flashlight and a not heavy enough jacket to check the mailbox and then, after peeking inside, wonder "What the...?"