Previous   Next

Do you think it’s inappropriate to celebrate Columbus Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s fine to celebrate Columbus Day, because it happened and it’s history. And I got the day off.”

“Well, it’s not my favorite holiday. I think it needs to be re-evaluated and changed. I used to live in South Dakota, where it was known as Native American Day, which I think is much more appropriate.”

“Yes I do. It’s basically celebrating the beginning of a genocide. It’s not something we should be proud of. Columbus was completely disrespectful to the people he encountered here.”

“No. I think Columbus Day is appropriate. It’s a national, nonsecular holiday. I don’t find it discriminatory.”

Related story

Comments

Corey Keizer 5 years, 6 months ago

Did you seriously just say "The Blacks"... I know that family and they don't have a holiday.

wagonburner23 5 years, 6 months ago

Columbus Day should be native american day. The blacks, hispanics, presidents, veterans, and even a freaking groundhog has a holiday. At least the Native Americans should have a holiday.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't stand white folks. They need to recognize me and give me all my stuff back. I Am 550 years old!!!!!

Corey Keizer 5 years, 6 months ago

I celebrate Columbus day by leaving doody dollars in areas that are heavily traveled by white folks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiIVEi...

sunflower_sue 5 years, 6 months ago

Damn, Bea! You took my Leif Garrett comment. (That's what I get for checking in late.)Nobody remembers it's Columbus day unless they need to go to the bank, the post office, or if they meander down the driveway afterdark with a tiny flashlight and a not heavy enough jacket to check the mailbox and then, after peeking inside, wonder "What the...?"

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

The problem with that Py, is that if we steal the gold and silver in the name of Spain, we would have to give it to the Hapsburgs to kill muslims in the Balkans and just go broke all over again..well, at least that way history could repeat itself..PS..I hate Sarah cause she hates bears..especially polar bears...My advice, don't be a bear in Alaska..

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Autie~ That argument hasn't been offered because Sarah is too busy trying to incite lynch mobs to read the comments here. After November 6th, she'll have a lot of time on her hands with which to pontificate on the subject--when she isn't slaughtering wildlife from a chopper.Why not just call the holiday "Pillage & Plunder Day" and have themed parties--dress as your favorite plunderer--steal the host's silver--hole up in the host's bedroom and declare it for Spain (or France)... Sounds like fun to me.

fastwalker 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Emily. The title of the holiday should be 'Indigenous Peoples Day'

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm trying to have an opinion about this... really I am....( Maybe Jonas has another leftover from last year I can borrow... Indian giver that he is. )

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

How come nobody offered the argument that God put those people here about 4500 years ago when he created the earth?? Or that they were the lost tribes of Israel? Which would lead this thing clear off the map...sorry.

XD40 5 years, 6 months ago

I think its absolutely appropriate to celebrate Columbus Day. Its a very good reminder that this hemisphere has never had any indigenous people. The people who have occupied the western hemisphere all migrated to this place either on foot or by boat.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

I always use Calumet Baking Powder and chew Red Man; am I appropriate? I bought my kid a Big Chief Tablet the other day for school. I appreciate Indigenius people. I ate some Red Meat from Wendy's and I see feathers when walking on campus by Lippincott Hall. I got a cake the other day for my birthday that was Carmel swirl with Cinnamon and Sarah baked it for me before she took off for San Fran. I think I am absolutely appropriate. I have also driven a Pontiac. Isn't that appropriate?

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

reminds me of the movie Overboard with Kurt Russell..when he put the crushed ritz crackers in the spaghetti O's..yuck a delic... With all the talk of yucky canned crapped, maybe I'll need to get with my people and change the name of our holiday...like, Provencal/American day..that's where my original peeps came from.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

Beefaroni isn't bad if you add a slice of cheese or some shredded Cheddar to it. Just nothing that contains those little meatballs or hot dogs. Myhusband has a recipe book called, A Man A Can A Plan, but I can't say we've made any of the recipes in it. Something about SpagettiO Stir-Fry just doesn't sound good.

leadstone 5 years, 6 months ago

That's another disturbing fact. a French/American company making canned Italian food ( if you could call it that) Uh-Oh Spagetti Os! Darn right. Would we go to a rib-joint to get sushi? Or to a skate shop to get our car fixed? Or Lawrence Memorial to get a life saving procedure? Oh, yeah. Columbus was a goof.

Meryl Carver 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't think any of the people that have days named after them are entirely good or entirely bad. For example, even Abe Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Columbus was not good to Native Americans once he got here, but I do feel like we should celebrate his acomplishments in exploration--at the time he lived, with the equipment they had, it was a pretty brave thing to cross the Atlantic Ocean.At the same time, why him? As others have said, why not celebrate all the early explorers, maybe with just "Explorer's Day".

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

Don't get in an uproar, R_I, the Normans were really Vikings wearing berets & smoking unfiltered cigarettes. They weren't really French.

Vince2909 5 years, 6 months ago

Holy crap I just almost spit up my Coke all over the monitor and keyboard..."...the beginning of a genocide."...I don't know if this person should get over herself or what, but I'm just shaking my head at that repsonse. Historically accurate or not.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Autie~ I am so there!R_I~ Now, now... Don't tell me you wouldn't miss your bicyclette, baked brie, and the occasional chance to mock Jacques Cousteau (or Inspector Clouseau, for that matter), in character!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

The darn French can just take their really thin pancakes, cheek kisses, and their XXY gene pool and go back home. The Statue of Liberty is bolted down so they can just leave that.

Larry Bauerle 5 years, 6 months ago

Franco-American Day without Spaghetti-O's? Now THAT would be wrong!

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

We can do better than that Py. How's about cooking with a Provence type theme? Maybe a lamb roast with thyme and rosemary..throw some shallots in something..good crusty bread and Pinot.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Inappropriate? How about "irrelevant"? Autie, I'll happily celebrate Franco-American Day with you if you promise I don't have to eat any of that nauseating canned macaroni or spaghetti.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree and when do we force the football teams to change the names of their teams. I cannot stand "Redskins" and "Chiefs". By the way, I was born in this country; does that make me indigenius?

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

I believe beawolf's comment would be accurate. Most groups that had long lasting blood feuds were horribly cruel to one another. One could make the observation that it was a direct competition for goods and resources. Really no different than modern times or any time in history. All driven by competition between gene pools.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 6 months ago

Bea,Don't forget about Shaun Cassidy.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Bea -Leif Garrett day? Do we take the day off work and shoot smack all day?

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Leif Ericson day. Heck, I'll celebrate Leif Garrett day if it gets me a day off.

beawolf 5 years, 6 months ago

""Yes I do. It's basically celebrating the beginning of a genocide. It's not something we should be proud of. Columbus was completely disrespectful to the people he encountered here."...Actually many Indian tribes who roamed the continent before Columbus, would often "eliminate" other tribes whom they encountered. Especially in the northern climates, where resources for survival where minimal. Slavery and genocide were prevalent way before Columbus. That said, I believe it is important to understand the relevance of the historical impact of his voyages, but it's time to abandon the celebration of Columbus the man. He was really not a very nice fellow.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 6 months ago

"Columbus didn't have a hand in what happened to the Native Americans." Actually, most historians agree that Columbus was personally responsible for killing thousands of indigenous peoples in what is now Haiti after he declared himself "governor". Seriously, not a good guy, and not deserving of a holiday named for him.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

See snap, some of those french were some bad hombres back in the day. c'est la guerre

bobberboy 5 years, 6 months ago

I think we should celebrate it as the day the Indians gave Syphilus to the Europeans.

SMe 5 years, 6 months ago

Of course we should. Columbus didn't have a hand in what happened to the Native Americans. Immigrants did.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 6 months ago

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings!Eat Norman steel, you Saxon dog!

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

How insensitive can one be? We need to revoke President's day next because George Washington's birthday is a sacrilege as well. He founded this horrible country that White man came to run. As well that stupid man in a red suit. I really cannot understand that crap at all. I want to go back to practicing like in the days when there were blood sacrifices and hearts were eaten by the head priest to make him more powerful. Where are the "good ol' days"? Maybe we could get Johnny Depp or Eddie Vedder to come make a speech?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

It's not a holiday unless I get the day off work. And I don't work for a bank or the post office.

tonythetiger 5 years, 6 months ago

I am going to go celebrate Columbus Day with the Utes in Arizona. We are all going to go to the Quik Shop there and buy burritos. I can show them how I juggle hula hoops.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 6 months ago

I think Prune has a good point ... nobody really pays attention to Columbus on Columbus Day, so I don't think it's an issue.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

The French did as much as anybody to explorer the Mississippi valley. LaSalle Day? Please support Oct. 19 as Franco/American day in celebration of all of us with French lineage. Viva la revolution.

blue73harley 5 years, 6 months ago

Ditto Shelly's sentiments...though sadly, I do not get the day off!

dminear60 5 years, 6 months ago

Yes. It is wrong to glorify Columbus. I think the good people of South Dakota have the right idea and we should celebrate and honor Native Americans, not Columbus.

spacehog 5 years, 6 months ago

All this talk about equality. The only thing people really have in common is that they are all going to die.-Bob Dylan

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm just going to re-paste my response from last year. jonas (Anonymous) says:"I was thinking, myself, that Colonialization and Exploitation Day sounded pretty good. To celebrate, I suggest that we all climb the fence into the neighbors yard, set up a tent and a grill, and eat burgers and drink beer all day. If they have any vegetables growing in a garden, take them as sides for your burgers!"

BigPrune 5 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone REALLY celebrate Columbus Day? We should celebrate Columbus Day (we wouldn't be living here in Lawrence if it weren't for him initially spreading the "sprawl"), BUT - please keep the banks open for OUR convenience.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

oh, duh... I mean it is completely appropriate to celebrate Columbus day. I bought a new Kai-yak to celebrate with. I think everyday would be a celebration save for some people are not worth celebrating with. Go throw a frisbee around and stop complaining, it would do you good.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

yes, and I just got a new Kai-yak to celebrate with.