Previous   Next

Have you ever considered getting a vanity plate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“I have, but it’s not a very practical thing to spend extra money on. But I do think it’s interesting to see what people come up with.”

“Yeah, at one time I considered getting CREAM, Cash Rules Everything Around Me, from the old Wu Tang song.”

“I’ve never considered it, because then everyone would recognize my car. I just don’t think I’m a vanity-plate kind of person.”

“I’ve considered it, but not very seriously. I thought about getting an old nickname of mine, but there’s no point in getting one. It’s kind of silly.”

Comments

HighScore 6 years, 1 month ago

I also thought "MUCKFZU" would be a good one, but I was worried what might happen if I ever had to drive through Missouri. Those Missouri cops are some of the worst in the country.

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey labmonkey... how about "R-H-F-H-O-F-F"... that ought to get past the plate censors if you can come up with some reasonable explanation for the letters...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

A Vanity plate would go well with my Smurf-themed tableware.

denak 6 years, 1 month ago

I thought of getting "bkwrm" or "cherrybmb" for an old red car that I had but I didn't get it because I didn't see the use of spending 40 bucks on it.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

If I ever restore a good car, like the 76 Vette Stingray that I'd like to have, then I might. For a regular car, no.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

... but I'm looking forward to the blue plate special, later this year,after all Kansas' electoral votes go to Obama!

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but 'MUCKFIZZOU' has too many letters for a plate...

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Turns out V-A-N-I-T-Y was already taken.

tonythetiger 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I am URSULA. It is for Ursula from the little mermaid. It was the movie I took my wife to go see when it was in the theaters. There were so many people there and they were so friendly and we had such a good time that I made her my wife. We even found our babysitter from there when we finally had kids. The movie and that day was so eventful in my life I put it on my cartag.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

sunflower_sue (Anonymous) says: "Same as jonas:only if the car screamed for one."I saw ATTILA on a license plate back on the east coast.It was on a Volkswagen Beetle.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Same as jonas...only if the car screamed for one.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

I've always thought about getting a Deja Vu or just plain Vu plate but I'm too cheap to throw down the money for something so silly.

conservativepunker 6 years, 1 month ago

I had one in High School. Said THE WHO. It was stolen. Figures.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

I couldn't figure out how to shorten "Rip his f* head off" into seven characters. I would be the classiest guy on the road. I have to drive to Missouri to work everyday....I worry about my KU plate on the front of the vehicle.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

notajayhawk (Anonymous) says:"I saw ATTILA on a license plate back on the east coast.It was on a Volkswagen Beetle."Well, I don't know about Attila, but I had thought at one point of a possible scenario involving a Beetle that I'd put a plate on too. If I had a Beetle, it would need to be black, with red and orange flames painted on the front of it. If I had that car, I would in fact have to name it "Firebug."

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

No. I found it cheaper to change my name to VLQ-738.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I had a high school teacher who had to fight the state to get his vanity plates (another state). The appeals took a while, but he eventually got what he wanted: His first initial with his last name. His name was Paul Hart.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Not making this up:My mom had state issue handicap plates years ago. Her plate (in addition to the wheelchair picture) was "1 WEG." Several people let her know how uncouth they thought it was to make fun of an amputee with a speech impediment. After a conversation with "the powers that be," the state saw the error of their ways and issued her a new plate.

Mixolydian 6 years, 1 month ago

Of course, we all know that guys who drive those huge god awful hum vees can have only one possible personalized tag that would ring true don't we?TENEPNE

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Py: "The tag read, "2wats." I kid you not-I took a picture of it, it was so funny and so brazen."So, was it assumed that the dim bulb simply didn't know how to spell?

Teapot9 6 years, 1 month ago

I was driving home on I-55 one day and I saw Oklahoma plates with "Got Milf" on them. It was a mini-van and the kids were in the back.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 1 month ago

I have one: KUWXMAN. It does get old telling people it does, in fact, NOT stand for KU waxman. Still fun to watch people in the rear view mirror while at stop lights with their puzzled expressions though.