Previous   Next

What do you think of Kansas University football fans’ obscene chant?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t think it’s a big deal. I partake in it. I’d rather do that than other things, like throwing stuff at the other team. I understand it’s offensive to people with children at the game, but they’re going to hear worse on TV.”

“When I first came here to visit the college, I’ll admit I was a bit shocked that they were allowed to say it. But now that I’ve been here, I don’t think it’s a big deal, and I don’t think they should make a big deal out of it.”

“I wish that the students would want to stop doing it on their own. KU is a classy school, and that is not a classy chant. But I don’t think they can make them stop. I think it’s up to the students to stop it themselves.”

“I think it’s funny, and it’s fun to yell. There are too many fans to stop it.”

Related story

Comments

nobody1793 6 years, 2 months ago

it's about as clever as armpit fart noises, and it's about as motivating as hearing "we will rock you" for the billionth time (which I'm sure has the opposing team shaking in thier boots.)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Obscene?( I think you missed an opportunity, there, to display that werd in even bolder, bright red type, perhaps flashing like a railroad crossing beacon.... )

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

It reminds me of a Michigan hockey game, but more tame. The university actually lost NCAA money (for hosting a playoff regional) because of the students' chants once. They've been trying to cut down the more vulgar chants (appeals from the coach, having the pep band play over the chants), but you know how it goes.That said, Yost Ice Arena is one of the best sports environments in the nation; if you happen to be in the Ann Arbor area over the winter, send me an email and I'll go to a game with you. It's so much fun. I wouldn't take kids to the game, but I love going to games there.

preebo 6 years, 2 months ago

I get it. I've been there (Universtiy of Colorado), but I believe that it should be discouraged by the school. Now, does that mean I believe it will stop, probably not. I do feel that any school's administration would be better served by denouncing this type of behavior. As an Alumni with children, I would be dismayed if my family and I attended a game back in Boulder and students were participating in obscene behavior at Folsom Field. Collegiate sports should be about school pride above all. What does it say about your school if you have to resort to this type of behavior to showcase pride in your school?

gogoplata 6 years, 2 months ago

I would rather the students stopped the chant. But I am equally amazed at the elitist attitue of some Jayhawk fans. We are not classier or better people than the fans of Mizzou, KState, OU, Etc. I love the Hawks and want to see them win but taking on this elitist attitude goes to far. We have just as many fans who are jerks, thugs, aholes... you name it. Heck the name of our own mascot does not even have a clean history. The earliest Jayhawkers were a rough bunch. So go ahead and try to get the students to stop the chant. But maybe you could see if that is possible with out this elitist nonsense.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

Al Gore invented the offensive chant?

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Could someone clarify for me (using appropriated moderated language of course, what this chant actually is, as I don't know if I know for sure)I've picked up something to the effect of "Rip his @#$%ing head off." Is that right?

sparks05sam 6 years, 2 months ago

wow people needa stop trying to tell people what they can and cant do deal with it we going to yell it Mangino telling me to stop is definetly not going to make me stop people need to just get over themselves if you dont want to hear dont go to the games or find somewhere else to sit

BIGBEAR 6 years, 2 months ago

If your kids have never hear the "F" word then good for you, but do you really think that a college recruite has never heard foul language?get real. Besides if the parents have the much control, then I dont think I want them playing here anyway. I want a player who can think for themselves, think on their feet and make their own decisions! Kinda usefull on the field

craigers 6 years, 2 months ago

Do they have to use swear words? It amazes me how profanity has come to be acceptable by people, especially in the public sphere. I shouldn't have to cover a kids ears up at a dining establishment. As for the football game, it should remain the same but you try telling that to a section of students that have had too much to drink.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

Shut up, BigBear, before I tear your $%$^$#ing head off! Before you get mad, I absolutely, positively, 100% support every team within the KU Athletics program. Let's see if you practice what you preached in your 2:12 post.

tonythetiger 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, words escape me about the situation... I think that people get used to things over time where as it was once shocking often times after a while become common place much like the Whippo girl said... I think that this is the way you should think of the way things change over time;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBWC5...

Joel Hood 6 years, 2 months ago

I watched the SHS game on Fox College Sports - it was clearly audible. If you paid any attention to the game, you could understand what was being said. My 2 cents - If Mangino regularly asks the students to stop, it will likely end by next season. If he only asks one time, or KU just replays the same video of him requesting our fans to be "classy", it will take much longer.

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 2 months ago

Honestly, I think drawing this much attention to the chant is more embarrassing than the chant itself. Kids will be kids, Mark Mangino or Todd Reising is not going to convince a student section full of obnoxious college kids, most of whom are probably somewhere in the sh*t-faced wasted range not to heckle the other team. It's FOOTBALL, college football at that, not a ballet. We have way more important things to focus our energy on right now than screaming obsenities at a sporting event. Like, I don't know, our failing economy and rapidly approaching presidential election?

Daffodil 6 years, 2 months ago

The chant is one of the biggest reasons we won't be renewing our season tickets next year. Not the only reason, but it's certainly in the top three.I was a student 94-97 and I never once heard the chant then. I've been a season ticket holder since 2002 and hadn't heard the chant until this year. Maybe it's because of where I was sitting, maybe it's because the students have started to watch the game this year instead of having social hour, but the chant seems fairly new. And enormously stupid and offensive.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 2 months ago

you cant really understand it on tv... heck, I cant even understand it at the games...whats the big deal?

avaholic 6 years, 2 months ago

My take is that people change over time. If I had kids, would I want them to hear it? no. I am a college student that has little commitment so it doesn't bother me. In my opinion, it's no different then a lot of things that change over time. When you're young, you tend to be a little left leaning on issues. The older you get, the more balanced or right leaning one becomes on issues. Or the same way beets and Matlock become better and better over time. Both sides of this issue have points. If the students want to yell a chant, let them. They pay thousands of dollars to go to the school and attend those games. It's their school and team. The Alumni need to realize that students change over time and what is a good idea at one point in ones life may not be a good idea later in one's life. And students need to realize that if the situation was reversed, they would be upset. My point is that the chant isn't going to stop and people will be upset about it. It's the way it is. Last I heard the school wanted to get rid of the "Muck Fizzou" shirts. How has that worked out for them?

BIGBEAR 6 years, 2 months ago

I hate arguing with people online, its a fight that no one can win. BUT I think we can agree to disagree, even though our arguement isnt too different. we're just seeing different sides of the same coin. I personally feel that my opinion is valid and so is yours. the main point that I tried to make is that the crowd does have a large effect on the players. They may not always be aware of it when they are in the heat of the game. But if the stands were only half full like they were 5 years ago I think we'd be singing a different tune. The crowds attendance and volume add to the advantage of the home team. With out the screaming college kids it wouldnt be the same. I dont care what they scream as long as they support the team!

PapaB 6 years, 2 months ago

The cheer is classless. It was used to make fun of fans going too far on Waterboy, so what do people do? -Become fans that go too far.

conservativepunker 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, Football's a Neanderthal, Moronic sport anyway.....

Jcjayhawk1 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't partake in the chant but.....I think it's great. Can't kick a couple thousand people out of the stadium. If you don't like it......get inspired & do something about it instead of wasting your energy complaining.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Quotes like this (from the article) are hilarious:"'I'm all for the chant,' said Paul Bickford, an Olathe sophomore. 'It motivates the team. It motivates me. It gets people riled up.'"I heard similar comments after Michigan's comeback win over Wisconsin; the team was loudly booed at halftime, and after the game, some of those who booed declared that their boos motivated the team to play better in the second half. That idea deserves the same reaction as the above quote: laughter. If you think booing or chanting something really has a noticeable effect on the team's performance, you're badly overestimating your role in major college sports.

bad_dog 6 years, 2 months ago

I occasionally sit on the student side, immediately behind where recruited players and their parents sit. For what it's worth, I can tell you those parents can and do understand what is being shouted by several thousand students in the next section. Many didn't appear to be favorably impressed, given their expressions and whispered comments to one another. Nor did they appear to be impressed by all the cans of beer, etc. being openly consumed by the students. The ushers I saw completely ignored the adult beverage consumption and resulting empties right under their noses.While we too drank at games when I was a student, we were certainly much more covert about it. I can't tell you whether this behavior unfavorably affects football recruiting, but fellow Jayhawks why chance missing out on a recruited player because of it? The students have, however, cracked me up several times with repeated chants such as "You let the whole team down" when an opposing player turns the ball over. Given this example and the creativity of these young minds, I know we can do better.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 2 months ago

KU released the video it's hoping to use to persuade students to stop the chant. You can see it here:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/oct/09/ku_sends_students_video_mangino_asking_end_explici/Jonathan KealingOnline editor

sunflower_sue 6 years, 2 months ago

The chant is totally tacky in a hicksville kinda way. Makes me want to wear flamboyant square-dancing clothes and black out a tooth when I attend a game. Sit on the hubby's lap and drink moonshine...from a jug.

N_Trenched 6 years, 2 months ago

Nobody is more of a KU fan than I am but when it comes to sportsmanship:. we fall way behind other Big XII schools. For example, after we snapped the losing streak against Nebraska, our fans felt the need to parade before the Husker section flying the bird and screaming obscenities. This came after I witnessed a majority of the Husker fans that stayed to show KU respect. Our fans would have left in the third quarter if you flipped the scenario. Our student section is less creative than most high schools in the area.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

How about changing it to "Rip his Perkins head off"????

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Wait ... there are only two options, bigbear? Boorish behavior or empty stands? The players notice, but I doubt the chants and boos of the crowd really boost their motivation to perform well; privately, some Michigan players said as much about the boos at halftime of the Wisconsin game. Crowd noise is an integral part of college football, but you, as a fan, cannot make the team perform better or worse. (That is, unless the team believes it's there to please you as a fan rather than to win football games, in which case your team has problems.)

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

I do think that what they're saying is offensive but I don't think us telling them to stop saying it will do any good. I think Mangino needs to continue to ask the students to hold themselves at a higher level and hopefully that'll work. If it doesn't work, atleast Mangino isn't just ignoring it and allowing it to continue. I wonder how long before local high school students attempt to be cool like the college kids and say the same chant. Atleast you can still punish them in high school for immature behavior.

BIGBEAR 6 years, 2 months ago

sgtwolverine- dont try to twist what I said.You do realize that the football games are made to entertain us. ALL of us including the players. why else would it be on TV? why else would it cost $40 to $80 to get in? You must be the guy that watchs because of the education value the players are getting when they arent on the field. Dont be naive.Besides the Athletic department is an entertainment company. They are seperate from the education part of the university now. Because college sports is all about money these days, education is just a side effect. (unfortunatly for us)

Bob Forer 6 years, 2 months ago

Virgil, great answer. You'd rather scream an obscenity instead of throwing stuff at the other team. Sounds like you'll make a fine citizen. And Aubrey, yes, you are a dandy. At first you were "shocked" but since everyone does it, its no big deal. You're a great follow-the-leader. But look whose leading: "The Water Boy." Andrew gets an A+.But Natalie, back to summer school for you. YOu think its funny. Yeah, right. Yelling an obscentiy is a hoot. And I guess, so is yelling. Grow up kiddo.

BIGBEAR 6 years, 2 months ago

ask the team before you assume that they dont care about whats going on in the stands. I promise you that if the stands were empty and quiet the players would have a very strong opinion!

BIGBEAR 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm sad to hear from all the people that want to do away with all the fun that goes along with being in college. Think back to your 18-25 years and think about all the fun you had. Now think about the people that told you to stop. How did it make you feel? I certianly didnt stop growing my hair and listening to rock and roll just because the alumni didnt like it.And I hope the college kids never stop having fun.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure how I twisted what you said; if you let me know, I'll amend my comments appropriately.As far as being naive ... don't try to insult me. I watch football because I love sports in general and football in particular, and as one with an interest in one of the historically prominent college football programs in the nation, I know how modern college football works. I don't think about the players' educations before, during or after the game; I think about the football game. I don't watch for human interest; I watch for competition.However, I do take issue with your statement that "the football games are made to entertain us"; I think that's an incomplete statement. The games are entertaining -- which is why they're on tv -- and that's the reason most of the fans watch. But the players have a desire to compete and win, and I daresay the entertainment of the fans comes second to competing to win; the entertainment of the fans is a natural byproduct of the players' competitive drive. And if they didn't have some sort of competitive drive, they wouldn't be playing division 1 football. They may have a drive to compete for different reasons, but they all have it; it's not that different from the drive a successful businessman has to have to do what he does, but it happens to be in front of a larger audience.So yes, we're there to be entertained, but in the heat of competition, we as fans and consumers matter much more to the organization's bottom line than to the competition itself.

bad_dog 6 years, 2 months ago

"Besides if the parents have the much control, then I dont think I want them playing here anyway. I want a player who can think for themselves, think on their feet and make their own decisions!" - BigbearI can only conclude that parents who care enough about their kid's futures to accompany them on recruiting trips do have some degree of influence over them. I would also assume many of these players appreciate their involvement. Capacity to influence does not necessarily equate to "control"-at least not in my household. While I too want players that can think for themselves, I also want players that are capable of listening to and integrating input from others. That's why we have coaches and operate under a "team" concept rather than having a bunch of individuals "thinking for themselves", running all over the field because they alone know what is best. Frankly, I doubt these recruits give a rat's butt whether you or I "want them playing here anyway". Most have numerous choices where to play for a scholarship. I, however, do want them if our coaching staff is recruiting them. I believe recruits will choose what they and their friends and family believe is in their long-term best interests, including issues like scholastic and recreational opportunities, personal development, sportsmanship, character, etc. Having a respectful crowd in the stands can only enhance those perceptions and create favorable impressions. You can still be rowdy and enjoy yourself without yelling self-demeaning chants IMHO. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Influencing your children doesn't preclude their ability to think for themselves and make their own decisions. Isn't what your parents and family taught you important and influential? I hope and believe those decision making skills will be enhanced by comparing and contrasting our thoughts and opinions with their own. We know what can happen to children that are ignored.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Well ... here's the thing: the number of fans in the stands typically is a direct result of success on the field. If the team is good, there are a lot of fans in the stands making a lot of noise; if the team is bad, there are fewer fans in the stands making less noise. So the tune five years ago would have been different because the team wasn't good, and it would have been just as bad had the stadium been full and loud. So yeah, a team may play well in a full and loud stadium, but the stadium is full and loud because the team has already demonstrated an ability to play well.But I do believe there is a major benefit to having a loud home crowd: the noise can disrupt communication among the opposing players. That, I think, is the real noticeable effect a crowd can have on a game.We do agree, though, that the college football experience is at its best when the home crowd is loud!

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

bob, your far from original.go back to your talk radio show

dustyshook 6 years, 2 months ago

"I'm sad to hear from all the people that want to do away with all the fun that goes along with being in college. "Are you saying that "all the fun that goes along with being in college" is yelling a curse word in a chant at a football game? That's it? That's all the fun there is in college? I must be one big loser, because when I was in college my friends and I had a lot of fun (and yelling %^&$ing in the football statium was not on the list).

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

Yep sooner. I will agree with you - OU has a great team this year. But I'd still sooner be a Jayhawk. I don't know what this topic has to do with being the greatest team in the Big 12, so I guess you are just wanted to brag! Well, we are proud of our "Hawks" too and just want to brag. Make sense?

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

I love that the stands are full.I love that the students are united in SOMETHING!I love that there is enthusiasm in the crowd.They have been doing the chant for a couple of years, we just couldn't understand what they were saying until this year. Do I like the f word? Not so much. I want them to say something else, but you know what happened when they asked to not wear the Muck Fizzou shirts. They showed up everywhere...(note to armchair editors: I did capitalize the "I" in the enthusiasm comment. But because I put "something" in all caps, they also lower-cased the "I" in the next sentence. Please do not give me red marks for it. - Goots)

N8iveSooner 6 years, 2 months ago

Well the jayhawks aren't the greatest team in the Big 12 anyways, so I guess the "fans" had to come up with something the media would talk about!!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!

TacoBob 6 years, 2 months ago

"I'm sad to hear from all the people that want to do away with all the fun that goes along with being in college. "I loved my time in college, when I could check my morals, upbringing, courtesy and common sense at the door. Sure, I had to study and show some discipline in some ways, but gosh, come on, I get a free pass because I am in college and can be stupid and inconsiderate in almost every way,Worst thing? My kids have to hear this trash. Oh my, but they will hear worse on TV, at school, blah blah. Give me a break. The proliferation of cursing (and of course using the best of breed words) is not something to be lauded. Slouching towards Gomorrah, or maybe more like breaking the speed of sound to get there. Class, integrity, respect? Now in the rear view mirror. What words are next? C.....???Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son.

leadstone 6 years, 2 months ago

Thank You, Happy Madison. Maybe, when we have a QB injured we'll all chant " Oh, NO! We suck again! Well, at least more than usual. Still, I think it's High-larious.