Previous   Next

Do you think the second presidential debate will be more exciting than the first?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 8, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it will be more interesting because they are taking questions from the audience. So I want to see how Obama deals with that. It’s supposed to be McCain’s thing, so I’m interested to see if that’s the case.”

“I think it will be more intense. A lot of the students in my class are really interested in what the candidates have to say about health care.”

“I thought the first one was pretty entertaining. I thought McCain put Obama down and interrupted a lot, which made him look bad. I’m expecting fireworks.”

“It better be. I don’t think either one stepped up to the plate as much as they could have. I want to hear what McCain’s real change is - I haven’t seen it yet.”

Related story

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years ago

Yeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaa!!!!!! Presidential Debates!! Whoo!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

sgt, I "watched" it blindfolded. That way, I was not distracted by Obama's good looks and McCain's swollen gland. Just kiddin. I found the second debate to be exactly like the first one, but without the use of the word "maverick." Maybe for the third debate, they can just play a re-run of one of the first two. Tomorrows question: What do you think the weather will be like yesterday?

Kat Christian 6 years ago

I thought McCain was condensending when he spoke by the sound of his voice. I like Obama - he's real.

BuffyloGal 6 years ago

Could someone please tell McCain to not try and make jokes? He comes across as so creepy!

craigers 6 years ago

I am first!!! Sweet!!! I didn't get a chance to watch the first one. This one was alright. You could definitely tell there was tension though.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Sue, I think it would be much more fun if they chopped up the first two debates into random bits and then randomly re-assembled those bits and aired the result. I think I could enjoy watching that!

RightWingBibleHolder 6 years ago

I didn't see anything new from either candidate. The only difference in this one was McCain really going after Obama which made Barack spend more time on the defense. No real winner. I was hoping for better questions from the crowd. This was a town hall format and that usually means questions that are a little "different". Most of the questions were just speaking to the talking points of both parties. People don't want to hear the same old stuff every time. Give us something we can talk about.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

No, I think it was equally obnoxious, because a significant piece of the reaction to the debate centered around how the candidates looked and sounded, and that's probably the least relevant part of the debate. I don't think there should be televised debates; I think the whole thing should be available only as a transcript. That, I think, would have some potential to be useful.

ms_canada 6 years ago

At the end of the first hour I got so disgusted I turned away. What is the point of having more than one debate if they are going to say the same thing each time. Oh I guess they just want to get the people who possibly missed the first one. McCain keeps teilling us that Obama has not the experience to be president and keeps teilling us that he knows what to do to fix the mess that he and his Repub cronies made in the last eight years. How many times did you hear him say, "I know.........." He sure doesn't know how to pick a running mate. Talk about foot in mouth disease.

dminear60 6 years ago

If McCain said "my friends" any more I was going to hurl.

james bush 6 years ago

McCain did not show enough reverence for the messiah, Obama.

dajudge 6 years ago

I think for the next debate, they should switch sides.Isn't that how debate works. You take one side and argue for it,then take the other side and argue for that. Now, if Obama couldargue that McCain should win and McCain could arguethat Obama should win, maybe that would be entertainment.Isn't that what television is supposed to be? Entertainment.As Dick Gregory said "The medium is the message."Oh, and please pass the buttery, toasted biscuits.

preebo 6 years ago

No clear winner?I would argue that Obama came across more calm and controlled than McCain, therefore, he portrayed himself to be more Presidential than Sen. McCain. According to most of the polling following the debate most undecided voters seemed to side with Obama. That being the case, it would appear to me that Obama won the debate, but agreeably not by a landslide to be sure.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

"I like Obama - he's real."Coming across as real =/= real. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt Obama is any more "real" than McCain.Also, it's funny to me that a good performance in front of crowds can prompt such comments, because quite a few "real" people would come across as uncomfortable and clumsy in front of crowds or on tv.

sherbert 6 years ago

Where's everyone's sense of humor?? I thought McCain was cute when he made his little 'that one' joke. It wasn't rude at all, people need to lighten up. Plus, I don't see how people can so lightly push aside Obama's past relationships with these radical people. It's obvious that he wasn't just 'aquaintances' with Ayers, and it's obvious he didn't go to Rev Wrights church for 20 years and 'not know' about his radical racist views! You can also tell by the comments Michelle made at the beginnning of the campaign that they have a serious chip on their shoulder about race and this country. I think it'll do him good to be humbled this time and try again later.

james bush 6 years ago

Obama looks like he's swallowed the canary.................his followers are so mesmerized he can't help but gloat.

snoozey 6 years ago

The more I hear from either of them the more reluctant I am to give them my vote. I care neither for smarmy smooth con or vague decrepitude but there you have it. If we could put them in a blender the result might not be too bad but I am not counting on volunteers.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

bea, I think McCain was writing "Don't say 'maverick.' Try saying 'my friends' instead." He just screwed up the drinking games of the college set.Did anyone else notice the resemblance to the Canadian maple leaf design in the back of Obama's hair? My sis noticed it as well. Freaky. Ms_C, it should make you happy that Obama is supporting our neighbors up north!

badger 6 years ago

It was just as bad as the first.I am not John McCain's friend. I totally took him off my Facebook like weeks ago and he was NEVER on my myspace. At least he didn't wink at me. I'd have been off my food for a week.They sassed my man Brokaw and I'm not down with that. I thought Tom was going to have to pull out his pimp hand and make them recognize, but he showed admirable restraint. Those fellas need shock collars attached to the timers. Debate viewership would skyrocket. We should give Brokaw a shock collar control and tell him to hit the button if he feels the candidate ended the debate round without actually answering the question he was asked. That'd spice things up.I like the gladatorial debate format, but for some reason they're not using it. There really should be more nets and tridents in this. "FINISH HIM!"The debates were better when the League of Women Voters did them. This poncy network stuff is for the birds.I'm votin' Obama, though I bet none of you are surprised by that. He's just so charming and articulate!Actually, he's just so disinclined to put anti-choice judges on the bench and endorse torture for 'enemy combatants', and so likely to oppose drilling ANWR, and so much more likely to build rapport with the world leaders President Bush has spent eight years alienating, but if you'd like to call it naivete or white guilt, I can't stop y'all.End of the day, the economy is in tatters and our reputation around the world is pretty grim. We've got some serious problems, and either one of them will likely muddle through the next 18 months of market/credit craziness about the same. They're both smart enough.However, I'm not voting for a Republican Presidential candidate until the party takes Jesus out of its platform and goes back to actual fiscal responsibility (not just trickle-down tax breaks for the wealthy and voodoo economics), and Obama's got social views more in line with mine.Also, I'm terrified of Sarah Palin.

beatrice 6 years ago

Sue, the college set still got drunk for each time Obama said "fundamental." Sherbert, a kitten is "cute." John McCain attempting to be charming isn't cute, it is creepy. And do you really believe that the 8 year old Obama was hanging out with the Weathermen?

beatrice 6 years ago

Sorry that I didn't catch the name, but I watched a program recently on the blue/red divide so prominent in America right now, and it pointed out that the last person to actually think about a question in a presidential debate rather than plugging in a pre-rehearsed set of talking points was Richard Nixon when he ran against Kennedy. The show pointed out that in that debate you could actually watch him thinking about the question and attempting to give an answer right there on the spot. That made him look unsure in comparisson to the rehearsed Kennedy, and debates have changed ever since.Consider what happened last night -- as soon as they took the stage, McCain starting writing on his pad before any question was asked. Maybe he wrote "Say 'My Friends' a lot", or some sort of visual memory key to help him trigger talking points. I support Obama in this race, but while he was not as quick with the pen he was ready to answer any and all questions instantly -- no pause, no consideration of the question -- just instant talking points. He didn't come across as any more real or honest than McCain. It is as if you expect to hear both candidates say, "And I approve this message" after every response. I was hoping the debates might be more "real," but they are like watching a game of ping-pong political ads -- too polished. If you haven't decided who you were voting for going in, I don't see how these debates would sway anyone in either direction. So I'll put this debate up there with shopping for household cleaning products on the excitement level. You know, they say they are new and improved, but deep down you know it is probably just new packaging.

sherbert 6 years ago

No one is saying Obama hung out with Ayers when he was 8 years old. BUT, he was working with him in the ACORN organization as it's attorney AND in charge of dispursing their huge amount of funds. He was up to his neck with this guy, same as with Rev Wright, and I can't believe people aren't taking this more seriously. It has been on the new quite a bit lately, but people aren't paying attention!

tonythetiger 6 years ago

I think there will be lots of bickering. So let us try and get along for a change among ourselves and listen to someone I think has an important message for us all. Especially in the future.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBWC5oozOEThank you. I guess I am last... Isn't that sweet?