Previous   Next

Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I have. I went in, I answered some questions and then they never called back.”

“Yes, but I couldn’t get away from work, so they let me off the hook.”

“No, I have not. But I’m only 22, so I haven’t been eligible for that long.”

“I have not, but I’d like to. You never know what you are going to get yourself into. It could be the trial of the century. You could end up being part of history.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 6 years, 2 months ago

I was called once, but they wouldn't let me serve because I knew the defendant (my employee), the witnesses, the prosecutor, the defense attorney and the judge. I think I could have been a good juror even under those circumstances.

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

i've been called twice to jury duty on district court level-and one time to the federal court in kck! that was interesting-and boring, sat around pretty much all day&was eliminated pretty early on.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Never been called but would probably be called for some really boring case anyways.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 2 months ago

yes. 3 times. never served for various reasons.

Kookamooka 6 years, 2 months ago

Yep. One of the voi dire questions was "How do you feel about drugs?" and I said, "They are bad." No one else in the room stated their opinion, so I got bumped. Hooray! I think the most important thing to remember about getting out of jury duty is to always be opinionated.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes, once. But I was there only half a day, I didn't get seated, and they haven't called again.

badger 6 years, 2 months ago

Called for a district I'd moved out of some time prior (and I had changed my voter registration and driver's license, so I don't know why they thought I lived there).I sent back a little note that said, "While I am happy to serve, I live 126 miles from the courthouse. Your letter says you will pay reasonable expenses for mileage, hotel, and meal for those who must travel to fulfill this duty. I estimate my costs for a single-day trip will be approximately $X, with an additional $Y per day to cover hotel and meals if I must stay for an extended trial."They sent back a note that said, "Excused and removed from jury duty rolls for (name) County..."I haven't been called for anywhere I actually could have served, but I don't think I'd mind. I get paid 'jury duty' salary from work (you get the day off with pay for jury duty) so it wouldn't be a financial hardship and I think it would be interesting.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 2 months ago

autie - I think I'm in the same boat as you. Never been called.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I should have said I wasn't close enough to the front of the line to get SEATED on the jury, not called.

Nikki May 6 years, 2 months ago

I've never heard of not getting off work working as an excuse. I got called in and just sat around all morning. Our case was canceled, but they made us stay in case they needed us for another case.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I was called once, but wasn't close enough to the front of the line to be called. I did 3 months of grand jury duty once, though. That was quite interesting.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

I was called in, but it happened on a no-pants day. They sent me home.

badger 6 years, 2 months ago

prospector:I'm pretty darn good. Things in the People's Republic are going well. We took on a lot of boarders when Ike hit the coast, but didn't get swamped. Some friends in the Houston/Galveston area lost everything but their lives, so they're calling themselves lucky. Estimates range from 5,000 to 30,000 refugees that weekend, depending on how you count a refugee ('staying in a shelter' vs 'staying in a shelter OR came to town to stay with friends/family'), but we got less than half an inch of rain.You gut a guy in a Texas hat defacing public art? Down here, they want a guy in a Texas hat for burning down the Governor's Mansion (Governor Hairdo was regrettably elsewhere...). Wonder if there's an evil hat with some sort of vendetta against art and architecture.I been busy, man. Travelling (I was in Kansas for Memorial Day weekend), working, hitting the local farmer's market (ours is year-round but we eat a lotta kale in the winter...), baking some bread (there's no equivalent to Wheatfields here), splitting with the significant other, planning pagan festivals, and working on the Obama campaign down here. I was a delegate to my county convention, but didn't get to go to the state one. Thought I'd stop in, and what's the first thing I see? Free State's got stuff catching fire. You people have to mind the store better. I can't have valuable beer supplies burning up while I'm too far away to save them. In other news, Boulevard is now available in Austin, which means my biannual trip to a certain North Austin liquor store to pick it up will just be a social call from now on. I'll be back for a visit first of January, and may well take you up on that Ad Astra. I do miss Ad Astra, but not as much as I miss John Brown Ale - or as much as I miss showing people the picture of that John Brown Jayhawk that was on top of the newspaper and saying, "That? That's where I'm from, friends."