Previous   Next

Is Kansas a beautiful state?

Asked at Southwest Junior High School on October 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“It can be during different seasons, but usually it’s not the most beautiful state.”

“I think Kansas is beautiful. It may be a bit flat, but I like the prairie. And I love how everything looks in the winter with all the snow and in the spring when everything blooms.”

“Yes, because it has beautiful fields in the country and a lot of the towns are really nice.”

“I think some parts are, but not all of it. I think the countryside around here is really pretty.”

“Yeah. There are a lot of wildflowers and Sunflower fields, and it has a lot of wildlife.”

“Yes. It has a lot of rolling hills and forest areas, and of course because KU is here.”

“I think parts of it are, just not Western Kansas.”

“Yes. There is a lot of natural beauty here.”

Comments

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

Say whatever you want. You still live in Kansas so I guess you gotta get your thrills where you can.

KansasPerson 5 years, 6 months ago

none2 said:"If I just had to be in the area I would be smart and live in Washington (no income tax) and shop in Oregon (no sales tax). That is what the smart, sensible people do."And when Sucky gets his driver's license, perhaps he will do the same!

none2 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU (Anonymous) says:'Bob you're just upset because you have to live in Kansas. I don't blame you. Perhaps some day you'll get the opportunity to visit Oregon and spend your money before returning to Kansas where you belong."------------------------------------------------Oregon: 1) The state where they have legalized physician assisted suicide. 2) The state where you cannot even pump your own gas -- not even allowed to slip the credit card in to pay for it. 3) The state with fairly high income taxes.Those three reasons are enough that I would never move there. If I just had to be in the area I would be smart and live in Washington (no income tax) and shop in Oregon (no sales tax). That is what the smart, sensible people do.I've seen the falls; I've seen the gorge; I've seen haystack rock; I've seen a lighthouse; I've eaten Tillamook cheese; I've been to Portland's weekend market; I've seen Timber Lodge at the top of Mt Hood. In other words: been there, done that. Some of us don't have to be constantly stimulated by mountains, gorges, and oceans to keep from being bored or boring.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucky -You posted at 12:30 am? Do your parents know you were up that late?

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks lived in Kansas 30 years and now he doesn't. I've heard Oregon is a good state to hide out in. Although it would be hard to believe he was "wanted" anyplace or by anyone.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Well, I've seen prettier scenery. Nice, though. I've heard, however, that the economy is just as crappy as elsewhere, and that it's really pretty tough to get a decent job. But then, you probably don't have to worry about jobs yet, do you?

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

What the hell is an Oregon?/actually, Oregon is supercool. I feel sorry for the state that they have a bratty 7th grader living there.

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

bndairdundat even paintshop can't save Kansas. http://www.dustydavis.com/blogimages/kansas_large.jpgThe only saving grace of Kansas is that it gives us someplace to put Kansans.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

"Can you figure it out?"Oh, I have a few in mind. Trouble is, most of those glowing epithets are rather frequently used by a number of states, and generally only universally (semi-universally) believed to be true by the people who actually chose to live there.

ChiHawkInKS 5 years, 6 months ago

Kansas is a very pretty state. Nature in itself is beutiful. It can be enjoyed anywhere.

bad_dog 5 years, 6 months ago

Well that explains the clean air, coastline and "lush green mountain" descriptions, bndair.I think you got it!Given you pinpointed his hideaway, I'm not drinking any of his "beer".

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

been breathing the fumes too long! 8{)

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU - Sounds like you live next the sewage treatment plant in North Kansas City, MO.

BABBOY 5 years, 6 months ago

Obviously, Roy Williams is Sucks2BU. He must still be bitter about the final four thing. Sucks, no cares about you. Soon, you will be deleted off here.

bad_dog 5 years, 6 months ago

I know, I know! It's AnthonyAlaska posting under Sucks2BU!OK-I'll bite. North Carolina?

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

Anonymous userjonas_opines (Anonymous) says:And what fair vale do you hail from, pray tell? If you were more than a coward you would of course (coarse) mention that, so we could equally compare the relative superiority of our places of residence.--------------------------------------------------------------------------If by coward you mean that I'm afraid that if Kansans found out how great my state is they'd want to move here and Kansas it all up then I guess that makes me a coward. On the other hand if you people had the gumption to get up and move someplace good you'd have already done it. So I'll give you a hint. Our coast line is known for being some of the prettiest in the entire country and our mountains are lush and green. The air is clean and the cost of living is reasonable. It seldom gets hotter than 90 or colder than 30. And our beer is way better than yours. Can you figure it out?

KansasPerson 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU says:"That may be but at least i don't have to live in Kansas."ROTFL!!! I feel like I'm watching a SpongeBob episode!!Anyway, I haven't seen ALL the beauty spots of Kansas (mentioned above) yet, but I'm looking forward to it someday.I have seen the Flint Hills many times and they are beautiful.I'm a transplant -- moved here in the mid-80s -- don't know if I'll stay here forever but I'm enjoying it while I'm here. The important thing (which some folks seem to have missed) is to have a good attitude wherever you go. Life is a lot happier that way. Not sure how the Sucks2BU attitude would work for me. Probably isn't working very well for him either. Whether this was a true opinion or a bid for attention, I feel kinda sorry for the poster.One final point. Kansas may be beautiful, but chiggers.... are.... not.

TacoBob 5 years, 6 months ago

Kansas - so flat you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.....

tonythetiger 5 years, 6 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBWC5oozOEIt sure is and watch this message from a very influential person in the future.

bad_dog 5 years, 6 months ago

"google saysResults 1 - 10 of about 5,330 for "kansas sucks". (0.18 seconds)Results 1 - 10 of about 171 for "great things about kansas". (0.25 seconds)"-Sucks2BUGoogle also says:Results 1 - 10 of about 7,380 for "kansas beautiful". (0.04 seconds)(Sorry Sucks, but that was the topic)Even more interestingly...Results 1 - 10 of about 1,760 for "Sucks2BU". (0.12 seconds)Wow, "Sucks2BU" gets the bronze medal in the internet hits Olympics. At least Google allocated very little time determining just how much it truly Sucks2BU...Google hath spoken.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh, and by the way, there is a brand of clothing (mostly jeans) in Peru call 'Kansas.' So weird.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Aw man, is that it? I was hoping for more than That. They must have canceled study hall today.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

"á »á ³á µá ¹á®å¤©æ°áá á áá á-ï¼ Kansasu no tenki ga warui yone? (if your computer's just showing squares there" JOMy computer is not showiing squares but it is showing caveman writings and some language that I assme is Japanese.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU (Anonymous) says:"Oh, and I think you meant "coarse" not course. But I wouldn't expect a Kansan to know the difference."Chuckle. Either way, you are much too weak a troll to do any damage, but thanks for the correction. I might have missed that one even if I proofread it. And what fair vale do you hail from, pray tell? If you were more than a coward you would of course (coarse) mention that, so we could equally compare the relative superiority of our places of residence. Oh, and please don't take this as an endorsement of Kansas over other places. If I notice the characteristics of a physical place any more than by the availability of people with good disposition, the availability of a job that fits with my preferences, and a few places and can go for an entertaining evening out, it's generally only in the weather. The first three, I've found, are relatively equal in all the places that I've been, at least in terms of daily life. The fourth is the only variable in the equation, and by my standards Kansas rates relatively low in that position. á »á ³á µá ¹á®å¤©æ°áá á áá á-ï¼ Kansasu no tenki ga warui yone? (if your computer's just showing squares there)

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

Went to Pike's Peek in 1968. Got to top, purchased souvenir stamped "China" on bottom. Glad to be home. In Kansas you can buy souvenirs made in Kansas. Went to Mexico in 2001. Bought yogurt "Imported from Kansas". LMAO. Glad to be back. Similar experiences with all other states traveled to between and since. There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place - - - - - . Sucks2BU would find something to whine about if (s)he had a private room at Fort Knox.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

and it makes me wonder how anybody could be so bitter about a place...did he have nightmares about the Wizard of Oz?? or had a bad experience with a buffalo or a sunflower? weird man.

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

Since Sucks2BU no longer lives here that makes all the more beautiful

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

Maybe when he moved, he went to Missouri? So what if it sucks to be us, he is obviously the one with a bad taste in his mouth.

Windlass 5 years, 6 months ago

Kansas is wide open, big blue sky, room to breathe country. The Appalachians are beautiful. Kansas isn't beautiful in that sense.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

No way that dude is at least 30. He's in a Jr. High computer class right now.

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

google saysResults 1 - 10 of about 5,330 for "kansas sucks". (0.18 seconds)Results 1 - 10 of about 171 for "great things about kansas". (0.25 seconds) roflmao

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

Jonas_opines (Anonymous) says:-------------------Sucks2BU (Anonymous) says:-------------------"Awww shucks. Did I go an hurt you widdle feelings?"Generally, in order to do that here, you have to provide something somewhat exceptional in some way. Your particular posts have been neither particularly unique, clever, or factual, so I'm not sure how you could assume that you've hurt anyone's feelings. I really hate to break this to you, but there have been other posters on here before who have vented their feelings about Kansas in a manner more course (though equally boorish) than you appear to have the balls to engage in. You're not really anything too special.-------------------------------------------------------------That may be but at least i don't have to live in Kansas. In fact the only reason I'm at this site is because a friend from high school (who also had the good sense to move away) sent me this link as a joke.BTW when did being course become synonymous with "having balls"? Unless of course you're talking about the ones on your chin.

Curtis Lange 5 years, 6 months ago

After just returning from a trip through the southwest United States, Kansas is in fact a good looking state. We may not have the mountains or the desert like down there, but our rolling hills, among other things, make up for the very, very flat and boring parts of the southwest.Anyone who still thinks Kansas is flat needs to get out a little more.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

autie: Switch "compose" to "excrete," and I think we'd have a winner.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

TOB, you said, ....and composes a post like that....shouldn't that be "composes compost like that?

preebo 5 years, 6 months ago

Kansas has some beautiful landscapes, from the Konza Prairie to Tallgrass down in Chase County to the Red Hills in extreme southwest Kansas. My wife is a photographer and a Kansas native, so we have seen most of Kansas' natural beauty first hand.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU (Anonymous) says: "Awww shucks. Did I go an hurt you widdle feelings?"Generally, in order to do that here, you have to provide something somewhat exceptional in some way. Your particular posts have been neither particularly unique, clever, or factual, so I'm not sure how you could assume that you've hurt anyone's feelings. I really hate to break this to you, but there have been other posters on here before who have vented their feelings about Kansas in a manner more course (though equally boorish) than you appear to have the balls to engage in. You're not really anything too special.

Gootsie 5 years, 6 months ago

I love Kansas because it is the way it is. I also love Colorado and the mountains; Hawaii and its beauty, etc etc. I guess I can find pretty stuff wherever I am. That's good, right?TOB and I (and all the other folks from that area that haven't said so yet) know SW Kansas is so different from NW Kansas. Lots of bluffs, red soil, watering holes with no bottom, etc etc. But eastern Kansas has more trees and water - that's great too! Oh, and you better not beat Kansas women. They will take you to the floor and leave you crying for your mother....

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

zettapixel (Anonymous) says:Eh: I've seen states that are way more beautiful, but you can't beat Kansas women!-----------------------------------------------------------------------Oh sure you can. Check out the floggers on ebay. That's about all Kansas women are good for.

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

Awww shucks. Did I go an hurt you widdle feelings?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

Don't fall into Sucks2BU trap. If that guy is at least 30 years old as he implied and composes a post like that, he isn't up to any intellectual standard of retort. That was his first post on the esteemed LJW message boards and he is more than likely one of those folks that lives in Lawrence and hates everything about it and Kansas. I wish some of these grad school students would just leave.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

What several already have noted... the Flint Hills... chalk bluffs andbeds ( remnants of that primordial ocean ) ... that island/oasis risingfrom the plain, Lawrence.

mmmskyscraper 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU - now that you live in a "real" state, shouldn't you have something better to do than troll a news site based in a place you hate so much?There are many amazing places around the world with which Kansas cannot compete, but I do agree with those who stated Kansas has a beauty of its own. Fall and spring in Lawrence are just gorgeous.

Timothy Eugene 5 years, 6 months ago

I've been all over the US. Kansas is awesome... except for the freaky lefty liberals who ugly-up Lawrence...

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

Sucks2BU. Well then I guess it was a win-win situation that you moved.

Kaleb 5 years, 6 months ago

Holy cow. Sucks2BU, I am for one glad that you don't live in this state anymore, with an attitude like that, you must have been kicked out LOL! Now if we can just get Fred Phelps to move next door to you, then heck it would be like two peas in a pod again.. Cuz you are just like him!!! So enjoy your lung cancer pollution and die happy... away from us Kansans!

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

Kind of like tangential's response. I'm just biased I guess..I find serene beauty in my backyard. But it is my home. Yeah, there are lots of pretty places but this one is mine. If you can't root for the home team, get out of the stadium.

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

I think most people do get off the interstate. Whether they appreciate the landscape or not, I don't think you can just assume they are viewing it from the vantage point of tooling down the highway at 75 mph--though some might like to think that is the problem.I come from a state lush in natural forests, meadows, lakes and rivers, bogs, rolling hills, sandy beaches & dunes from which you can watch breathtaking sunsets, a place thick with shaggy spruce, dense birch stands, sugar and red maples, hickories, oaks, and sassafras that meet in autumn in blazing canopies over ribbons of country roads, a land that is also replete with the homey scenes of farmland, miles of vineyards and orchards, and quaint towns carved into the countryside, some of which are older than any in Kansas. When I came here, I naturally sought beautiful scenery because that was what I was used to. I still search for whatever is lovely in the landscape. I rarely take a highway when a byway will do.I have traveled many a winding country road, driven off the beaten path up, down, & across the state, and I have walked around a lot--and have found some attractive spots, particularly the flint hills and some of the more rolling land of eastern KS, but I still don't think that Kansas will (or should have to) ever be known for its great beauty. In that department, it cannot compete with Michigan or a lot of other states--in most people's eyes. (There's that relativity again!)But you can make a living here and that's the one and only reason I am here instead of at home. Celebrate Kansas's strengths.

Sucks2BU 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't help laughing at the people who think Kansas is beautiful. Let me make this very simple for you. Go to google images and use the key words "topographical map". Choose a nice big image so you can get a good look. Now you see those beautiful mountains that start about 80 West of Denver CO and cover almost half the map? That's not you. See those smaller greenish mountains on the right side of the map? That's not you. See that beautiful coast line along the bottom of the map? Nope. Not you either. Nor are you that lake front property you see at the top. Not much loss there because its way too cold. Nope. What you are is the bunch of farm land in the middle. Your only purpose in life is to grow wheat for the rest of us. Its kind of like a great big field overgrown with weeds. That's Kansas. And no matter how much you'd like to pretend that its beautiful its not. Sorry. Kansas sucks. In fact Kansas sucks soooo bad that we had to fill it with Kansans. That's you. And since those of us who live in the real states feel a little sorry for you we'll let you visit our states. But only long enough to spend your money. Then you have to go home. Because you're Kansans. Oh. And to the guys who said that people who get their opinions of Kansas from looking at I 70 and you have to go looking for the beauty of Kansas if you want to see it? Its not worth the gas. I know. I lived there for 30 years. But now I live in a real state. And you don't. I just thought you should know.

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

No, I like Virginia much better.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Kansas is a beautiful state... of mind...eyes closed...heels clicked...there's no place like... home.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 6 months ago

The Andes will blow you away. I spent time in the district of Ayacucho and a little bit of time in Cuzco. There were sooooooo many other places in the Andes that I wanted to check out, but I did not have the time and resources to do so. I think it would be difficult to go to the Andes and not think you've visited a remarkable place.

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

acg - You hit it right on. Kansas has it's own beauty if you are willing to get off of interstate which is unfortunately the only view (even from Kansans) that they usually get of the state. No we don't have mountains, or oceans, or gigantic lakes, or huge canyons but Kansas has its own wonderful quiet subtle seduction. The Kansas beauty has to be experienced first hand.

samsnewplace 5 years, 6 months ago

kmat, actually made me laugh out loud at your post but I couldn't agree more. Give me Hawaii or Northern California anyday!

BrianR 5 years, 6 months ago

I've been in most of the states and they're all pretty spiffy.

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Redwood,Color me green! Peru is definitely on my short list of countries I haven't but will visit. Are the Andes as spectacular as I dream? Any recommendations?

acg 5 years, 6 months ago

I've been in all of the continental 48 states and have lived in 26 of them. Kansas is beautiful, in its own little way. I love the sunrises and sunsets here. The colors of the sky can be breathtaking. I love the way the farmland looks when it's at its peak and the grasses and rolling hills in some areas are awesome. The winters are quite pretty, especially after a snow or ice storm. It just depends on who you are and what you're looking for, I guess. Even western Kansas has its own kind of beauty. Barren areas can be just as mind blowing as lush places, if you look at it with the right attitude, and a few good bong hits. LOL!

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 6 months ago

I've been to many parts of the United States, including the Hawaii, Colorado, the west coast, the east coast and many states in between and I agree Kansas has a natural beauty. I've also been to Europe, Canada, Mexico and Indian subcontinent and agree that watching the sunset on the Flint Hills is truly magnificent. There's a saying, "Wherever you go, there you are" and that may hold true for seeing beauty. Wherever you choose to see beauty, there it is. I was born and raised in Kansas and have spent most of my life here, so the beauty I see in Kansas is influenced by a great childhood, a supportive extended family and by wonderful friends and experiences.

ms_canada 5 years, 6 months ago

The little that I have seen of Kansas impressed me. I thought Lawrence was quite a pretty town. Say, off topic. Are you going to watch the debate tonight? I am and I will pay particular attention to Mr. McCain. In the first debate, I was quite astonished to see that Mr. McCain never looked at Mr. Obama. Did anyone else notice that? Mr. Obama looked at McCain when he talked to him but not the other way around. I did think that was very strange. Palin and Biden looked at each other.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 6 months ago

And for kmat up there, I've been all over this country, including Hawaii. I've even been to the Peruvian Andes. Of course, Kansas will pale in comparison to many of these places, but don't marginalize the beauty that the state does have. If you keep saying to yourself, 'blaaah Kansas,' then you'll just be miserable. I agree with Pywacket that beauty is relative. Kansas landscapes might not be as dramatic as many other landscapes, but there is beauty there. And no, Kansas is never going to have a booming tourism industry. But hey, if you don't think it's beautiful and want to stick around your house or city, then be my guest. I won't be missing you while I'm out there enjoying the land.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 6 months ago

I think the number one reason people have a low opinion of Kansas' beauty is I-70. That is how most non-Kansans (and many Kansans) experience the state. If you really want to see Kansas, you'll have to dig just a little deeper.

aeroscout17 5 years, 6 months ago

As someone said earlier, beauty is relative. In response to an earlier poster, I am not from Kansas. I have traveled through 47 of the 50 states and eight foreign countries. It wasn't until I was "stuck" here in Kansas working on the prairie that I came to realize the simple beauty. It may not have the grandeur of the mountainous state I am from, but it still has its own beauty. It isn't my first choice for my residence, but Kansas has its moments

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I know there are states that are far more appealing but I do think that Kansas is a beautiful state also. I think to really appreciate Kansas you gotta get away from the cities and find the simple things that make Kansas beautiful. There's a green bridge outside of Eudora that's over a little creek and it used to be the most beautiful and peaceful place to visit.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh yes. The Osage Questas to the Chatauqua Hills, the Flint Hills to the chalk formations out west. Most lovely. And I've been a few places. I really like the transitional area between the Chatauqua hills and the higher plains..generally running from just east of Ark City up to El Dorado and on up..the smokey hill flood plain is pretty too..

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't really do it for me, but I like KU's campus.

couranna1 5 years, 6 months ago

sure it is if you have never been anywhere else

zettapixel 5 years, 6 months ago

Eh... I've seen states that are way more beautiful, but you can't beat Kansas women!

Pywacket 5 years, 6 months ago

Beauty is relative. I don't find Kansas as beautiful as many states I've been to, and I believe it can't hold a candle to my native Michigan. On the other hand, Kansas's economy has been diverse and strong for decades, while Michigan's has been (and continues to be) in the toilet! All the natural beauty in the world is nothing short of heartbreaking when people can't make a living and are losing their homes and jobs in droves. I think it's silly for Kansas to keep worrying about its beauty and trying to reinvent a tourist industry that--face it, folks--is NEVER ever ever going to rival Hawaii's or Florida's. Instead of insisting on being evaluated for its beauty, it should tout what it does have. What if (insert name of plain-jane but brilliant and talented woman here), instead of being happy with her success as a cardiac surgeon or a marine biologist or a particle physicist, went around trying to enter beauty pageants and whining, "Okay--but I AM pretty, aren't I? I may not be Miss Vermont but aren't I pretty, too? Huh? Don't you think I'm pretty???"That's what Kansas--and particularly Kansas's tourist industry--makes me think of. Just hang it up and do what you're good at and be comfortable in your plain but smart & savvy skin. Her family (native residents) are always going to see her as beautiful. If others don't, who cares? She shouldn't.

kmat 5 years, 6 months ago

If you think KS is beautiful, you need to travel more. A lot more. I too thought KS was ok until I was able to start traveling around this country. Now I return home from trips and it takes weeks until I don't think this area is gawd aweful.There are a few nice things in KS, but in general it sucks.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 6 months ago

I was flying to KC from LA once in the summer. The pilot announced that we were just south of Garden City and urged everyone to look at the crop circles from the center pivot irrigation systems. Next thing I knew, these college boys behind me got all excited and referred to the view as "Awesome." Every state has its own unique beauty that no other state can duplicate and it is a lot of fun finding those things out about each state.

HootyWho 5 years, 6 months ago

see the sun set on the flint hills nothing prettier than that

toe 5 years, 6 months ago

I went to the Smokey Hills, but it was too smokey to see much.

rminear68 5 years, 6 months ago

It absolutely is.....But you have to get off I-70 to see it. Take some time to travel through the Flint Hills, or South East Kansas. Go see the Smokey Hills, and the chalk bluffs in Western Kansas. Take a drive in the hills up around Atchison. Kansas is a beautiful state.....just not always from the interstate.