Previous   Next

Are you relieved that Congress has reached an agreement on the bailout?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not at all. I was hoping they would fight that thing until the end and shut it down completely. I don’t feel that taxpayers should be bailing out the intensely greedy people who got us there in the first place.”

“I’m not really that relieved. I think there’s a lot more financial trouble on the way.”

“I think it’s money wasted, money that was made on the backs of taxpayers going to the fat cats in finance. They should have known better, but they screwed up, and we have to pay for it.”

“Not at all unless they got rid of the pork barrel attached to it. That was ridiculous.”

Related story

Comments

Godot 6 years, 2 months ago

Sure Merrill, and that is because Congress is soooooo good at oversight.My vision of more regulation is to rein in Congress. We need short term limits (two terms, period) and a requirement that anyone in office who announces candidacy for another office, resign his or her current post.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

The rascals should have forced financial institutions to reorganize mortgages to fit the clients they approved. Now we need regulation brought back in a big way cuz the thieves have been successful. I say bring back regulation to the energy and healthcare industries in addition to cutting off subsidies.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Relieved?Further relieved of our already limited resources.

S0uPnAzi 6 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to "relieve" myself over the 400 page bill...that's what I think of it!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

relieved! ha! what passed was incredibly stupid and won't fix anything. good that insurance was increased. good that tax breaks were extended. should've cut cap gains tax to 0, that'd fix a lot! no subsidies for children's wooden arrows, wool research funding, etc. just sad. starting with the Community Reinvestment act, under carter, then pushed hard under clintonia with justice department threats, banks were hasselled into lending money to people who couldn't afford them. now in this bill, mad-maxine waters, barney frank, charlie rangel, dodd (the senator from countrywide) and obama do nothing to get those people out of mortgages they couldn't afford in the first place. instead, they make it even harder for banks with those mortgages to behave properly like banks with mortgages should, turn it into a giveaway program that loses money for the banks! **for a good laugh. somebody had trouble with the "bailout" though: http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_10637287?nclick_check=1

dminear60 6 years, 2 months ago

I am not sure I am relieved...worried is more like it. I think it is like putting a band aid where stitches are needed. I hope this is will lead to fiscal responsibility in Washington and on Wall Street.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

Relieved ... as in what a bear does in the woods type of relieved? Sure.

slang4d 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad rum and wooden arrow manufacturers are getting a sweet tax break. After all, we're going to need some liquor and toy weapons when the economy collapses. Neighbors trying to steal your stockpile of canned goods? Stab em with a wooden arrow! Accidentally killed your neighbor? Get drunk on some cheap Caribbean booze!