Previous   Next

How much socializing do you do on the Internet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“Quite a bit. I’m on Facebook, MySpace and use several Internet messaging services. And e-mail of course.”

“It’s probably about average. I check my e-mail every day because it’s also really important for my schoolwork, but I’m on MySpace and Facebook, too.”

“A little. Mostly with people back home with e-mail, Facebook or iChat/video chat.”

“Not a whole lot. I still use Facebook for an hour a week maybe, but I kind of grew out of that phase.”

Related story

Comments

nobody1793 5 years, 10 months ago

Next to none (commenting here is really more anti-social than anything). But that's still more than in real life. I'm so pathetic.

SMe 5 years, 10 months ago

Jonas_opinesYea, but President Laura Roslin did a pretty good job - better, in fact, than her predecessors when you consider she survived, picked up the pieces and managed to reach Earth. While the existing government let the evil deed (Cylon attack) happen.(hmmmmmmm, something Deja Vuish there or here)

imagold 5 years, 10 months ago

FB and MySpace because I can control who I'm socializing with. I leave some comments out here, but since I don't banter back and forth I don't consider that socializing. Personally, I think the internet, while convenient and nice for keeping in touch with relatives and friends, paying bills and reading the news, is otherwise a breeding ground for trouble and you've got to be vewy, vewy careful.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Should I hang my head in shame? I did not watch the debate by the Candian foursome. I really wanted to see Sarah Palin. And lo and behold, I was quite surprised by her presence of mind. I had pre-judged her because of the goofy names she gave her kids. I mean, who would name a child Track or Trig. But she showed herself pretty on the ball. And no hairdo!!! She cleans up rather nicely. Socializing on the net?? I have a Myspace page but have not added any blogs for a while. I get busy. I have several penpals and relatives with whom I keep in contact. is that socializing? I don't believe so. To my way of thinking, socializing has to be face to face. I have long believed that the highest form of social activity is sharing a meal, a delicious meal, in lovely surroundings. And it must have scintilating conversation. Remember, I said the highest form. I can think of nothing more delightful than that.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and as far as the question goes: I don't know if you can actually socialize on the internet. A decade ago, I spent hours and hours chatting on AOL, and looking back, I'm not sure I'd consider that real socializing. So, in light of that: I don't socialize on the internet. I do spend plenty of time on the internet -- partly for fun (like facebook) and partly for business -- but it's not the same as real human contact.However, I should note that I always enjoy meeting people I've talked to online; it's fun to actually socialize with people who had always just been an email address or a user name. Plus, in the case of my trip to Kansas last year, I got a superb meal, too!

audvisartist 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't do any real socializing, but I do use MySpace to promote my music and photography. http://www.myspace.com/audvisartist

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

Some, I don't check much these days. But anyone notice? All this time the natural comparison for Palin in terms of celebrity characters has so far definitely been Tina Fey, which I guess is a good pick, but I've thought of a better one, this lady from Battlestar Gallactica:http://www.aolcdn.com/tvgalleries/politicians_roslin.jpgIf you recall, she's 37th in line to power or something like that when the Cylon invasion comes. So I guess the question is: do we want Palin in power when the Cylon invade?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Jonas, I'm fine with the decisions Roslin has made while in office, but I just don't like her. She's soothingly annoying. If she could make decisions without talking or ever being seen, I'd be good with that.Now, does that opinion carry over to Palin, the IRL Roslin? Well ... I'm not sure. I may be more interested in what happens in BSG than I am in what happens in politics.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

I divide my time between LWJ and the chat rooms at lemursgonewild.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 10 months ago

So I guess the question is: do we want Palin in power when the Cylon invade?+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++As long as they bring a million copies of Tricia Helfer (a.k.a Caprica, #6) I don't care who's in charge!

tanaumaga 5 years, 10 months ago

josh, which hand do you use? your right or your left?

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

SMe: Sore wa hontou ne. (Yes that's true, isn't it)

SMe 5 years, 10 months ago

Sorry!I forgot the quote fromJonas_opinesHere it is: "So I guess the question is: do we want Palin in power when the Cylon invade?"

tanaumaga 5 years, 10 months ago

josh, is that my dad's missing shirt?

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

I check my myspace and yahoo daily but I don't really socialize. I mean if someone sends me a comment or a message I respond but that's about it. I don't even know my special myspace page link or anything like that. I know you can find me by my email address or name but other then that, not sure. And I used to be good about posting funny blogs and pictures but I'm horrible about it now. All my new pictures are from alteast 2 months ago. I do enjoy looking up old boyfriends on myspace to make sure their lives are miserable. JUST KIDDING.......Maybe. But I really enjoy getting on the ole' ljworld and posting a comment or two. But nobody ever sends me a private message or anything so I don't think it's really socializing. Man, I used to be so cool on the computer!!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

Internet socializing?I'm waiting for the merger: My SpaceFace Book..."Press your SpaceFace close to mine, love.Freak out in a Moonage Daydream, oh yeah."

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey stop picking on Josh, he's not the one into the video chat. He's probably into more adult websites like world of warcraft or something.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

sgt, :)Socializing happens face to face.

tanaumaga 5 years, 10 months ago

seriously josh, which hand do you socialize with...your left or right?

beatrice 5 years, 10 months ago

If you think a mosh pit is a form of socializing, then I guess I kinda do that around here. No to my face or space book. I prefer to hide behind my cloak of anonymity.