Previous   Next

Will you change your heating habits this winter?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I think so. Unfortunately, for a lot of people I think the cost will factor in more than the environmental concerns.”

“I wouldn’t really care too much because I hedge my bill. It just evens out.”

“Yes, because I like to save money.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

We do the budget. So, we pay a little more during the summer, but we don't have the $500 monthly bills in the winter. So, we should be ok without having to change too much.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm redaubing my wattle with extra moss.

nobody1793 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, the economy is so bad, they can only interview 3 people now...

looza 6 years, 1 month ago

lotsa blankets, staying in bed longer, fresh new batteries in the T.V. remote, more swiss miss in the cup.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 1 month ago

I guess nobody's shopping on Mass until Friday.

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Turn off the A/C... Turn on the furnace...Change we can believe in...

trinity 6 years, 1 month ago

why are they only assaulting three people with ots questions these days? just curious...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Use smaller fonts on your email to save energy.

CLARKKENT 6 years, 1 month ago

WHY CHANGE, IF WE DO CONSERVE, THEY WILL JUST RAISE RATES. THEY WANT TO KEEP X AMOUNTS OF DOLLARS COMING IN.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

My heat-pump furnace works great... until it gets cold outside. Wood burning stove heats the best, works everytime. .

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, yeah, because overheating can lead to hobesity.

alm77 6 years, 1 month ago

Clark, I've often uttered the same sentiment. But the fact is, at the moment, the less I use, the less I spend. I'll probably do the whole plastic routine on the windows again this year, and I've already got the thermostat to the lowest setting ever. Our Aquila bill is already incredibly reasonable, but I'd like to keep it that way. ;)

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

"hobesity"Sounds like a fat transient. autie: Sounds like my cats. Funny how the aloof one in the summer is suddenly clammering into my lap at all times.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Jonas, they're not fat; they're well-insulated.

Lisia 6 years, 1 month ago

Space heaters rather than running the furnace. That way, if we're not in a room, we can turn off the heat to that room. I've found that the space heaters work better for that than closing the vents. Putting plastic over the windows that don't have storm windows also seems to help.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

"I will snuggle wuth mnay young women."Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Daytrader23 6 years, 1 month ago

“I wouldn’t really care too much because I hedge my bill. It just evens out.”— Sammy Gitahi, KU graduate student, Nairobi, KenyaI wonder if he really knows what that means.  Can you hedge your bill with gas and heating oil prices falling??

Daytrader23 6 years, 1 month ago

It seems everybody is "hedging" today. Hedging is a practice in which you take the opposite side of a bet, for instance. I think oil will go up so I buy, but to reduce my risk I will sell gas in case oil drops. And if oil does go up all profits have been reduce by the short gas position. This theory works with hundreds of millions of dollars cause you earn the interest. But to hedge a heating bill??

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

To all you skinny people:I am not fat, hobeist, fat transient, or overheated. I am simply nutrietionally gifted. Thank you very much..

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

autie - I, too, know all about the thermal benefits of overweight labs. My wife hurt her back at work and has been sleeping in the recliner. I've had the fortune of one, sometimes both, of my labs deciding they wanted to claim "mom's" side of the bed. I like the extra heat, but it makes it interesting to try to move as they are laying on top of the covers.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

We plan on trying to winterize our house the best we can but really if I'm cold, I'm turning that heat up! Also, anybody know when the day after Thanksgiving sales ads come out. Is it today or tomorrow. I never know!!!

gccs14r 6 years, 1 month ago

I already have a programmable thermostat that has unoccupied and nighttime temperature setbacks. Maybe I'll dial those temps back another degree or two. I really miss having mid-winter $39 heating bills. Now they approach $200, since the PGA charge has gone up from 19 cents to a buck and a quarter.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it's my computer but when I go to comment history I can no longer see a blue article link at the bottom of my comment. Is this something new or what because I really like being able to click on a comment and read what everyone else wrote after me. Anybody know what the deal is?

ms_canada 6 years, 1 month ago

I have a good supply of fire wood now since a tree fell down in a terrific wind storm, so I will use more of that for heating the front room. That should save on the gas bill. And when shopping I try to do less driving by going to stores that are close together and just shopping one day per week. There are places that I can walk to, my bank, the drugstore. This should save money so that I can leave more to the kids when I depart this earthly plain.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Still haven't turned the main heat on yet. We have heat on in bathrooms and in the north bedroom. As long as the hubby keeps bringing me firewood, the heat pad on the bed keeps functioning, and the dog continues to sit on my lap...it's all good. This is not a different routine. It's a yearly game.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I've decided to call it quits and simply break the heating habit, this year.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 1 month ago

Deja and Reticent, The only way I've found to get to the articles is to use the Permalink at the left side. It doesn't show the article name but it takes you to the article and comments. Sucks big time.