Previous   Next

Would you run a marathon to raise money for people who don’t have health insurance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“It’s a good cause, but I don’t know if I could make it, first of all.”

“It would be worthy to set that challenge for a good cause.”

“If my lungs could handle that, I definitely would, if it was for a charitable cause. I wouldn’t just run for no reason.”

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

I've never understood ambulatory revenue generation.( maybe if there was a really big wheel.... )

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

If I did that, I'd have put my health insurance to use. That would be counter-productive, I think.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Would sitting in a recliner with a beer in my hand & cheering count?

salad 6 years, 7 months ago

Dayle Hodges 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd love to be able to run a marathon, but the most I have ever managed was a 10K, and that was about 20 yrs. ago. I'm not sure how running became a fundraiser, but I believe everyone deserves health care, so if I could manage it sure, I would run.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

No. I wouldn't know if my money was going to someone who ligitimately could not get insurance due to a cause that they had no fault in, or to some bum who fried their brains on drugs. (Just examples.) I would like to have a bit more control on this issue. There are way too many reasons people don't have health insurance. Also, generate all the money in the world and there are still some people that an insurance company will not insure. Now, if we are talking about raising money for halth care, that is a different thing, but also much too broad for a blanket policy.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

I have no idea where to find it now, but years ago I read a wonderful comedy piece about this sort of fundraiser. I don't remember much of it, but I can paraphrase the main (hilarious) message:"Why run for my money? If you want my money, why don't you do something useful, like pick up my dry cleaning or something?"

persevering_gal 6 years, 7 months ago

I would love to! I would probably have to walk most of it, but I would do it. It's for a good cause, I get to do something that I enjoy doing along with hundreds of others, and I know I didn't just spend money on myself for a change.Note to people who wonder why people pay to run marathons. There are some marathons out there where you have to qualify in order to run them. They usually have big prizes for the higher-ranked marathons. By running a marathon here in Lawrence, and doing a decent job, it allows you to go on to bigger marathons or the Olympics if you're that determined. Another reason we pay is, because running may be fun for some of us, but it is more fun to run it with hundreds of others. It's very motivating. With this in mind, it costs a lot of money to get a marathon organized - so I am more than willing to pay $20-$60 not only for a good cause but also to help organize something that brings in more people to help raise even more money. All business people should know that you need to spend a little in order to earn more money.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

I would run a marathon for Cake! He's going the distance ... he's going for speed ...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

I would run 3.14% of a marathon for pi.

grumpytree 6 years, 7 months ago

"Would you run a marathon to raise money for people who don’t have health insurance?"You mean like me?How about we VOTE to make it so that more people have health insurance? Gee, there's an idea.

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 7 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says… We (As a Nation), just bought a Presidential candidate who said he would get us all healthcare.He will handle this for us all.Why should I as an individual do anything about it?Because we all as individuals need to do OUR PART. We as a nation should learn to work together more instead of sitting back and assuming that one person alone can solve all of our problems. Why should you as an individual do anything about it? Because it is the RIGHT THING TO DO. Stop being so selfish.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

TOB, maybe the other person went to get a biscuit.

looza 6 years, 7 months ago

run? the only runs I do are to the bathroom after I put away a bag of taco bell! now shutty!!!!

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

Last year we did an MS Walkathon and stopped by Allen Fieldhouse in the middle of it to check out all the new stuff. We spent so much time in there that when we came out they had already went around and grabbed the signs that show the way back to Mass. street. So we had to make up our own way back to the car, in the snow. But it was still a lot of fun and I'd love to do it again!

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

sunflower sue said there are way to many reasons why some people don't have health care. I wonder if the main reason that some people don't have health care is because you yankees have always had governments that don't care if you live or die. Why oh why don't you people aggitate for public health care for every citizen in your country, for goodness sake. Should that not be a basic right for each and every citizen? There is not one single senior citizen in my province of Alberta who pays a single cent for health care but gets the best of health care which he or she needs. It absolutely infuriates me to think that there are people in what is suposed to be the best country in this world who cannot have their medical needs met. Sheesh!!!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

"There is not one single senior citizen in my province of Alberta who pays a single cent for health care but gets the best of health care which he or she needs."Social Security is going to have problems in the future because there will be more senior citizens collecting than there will be young workers paying into the system. Any health care system like the one above will run into the same problems: too many people taking, not enough people giving.

Charlie Bannister 6 years, 7 months ago

I was laid off my job hauling auto parts to Ford in KC (I was not a Ford employee) on August 18th. We got cut off all our health, dental, vision, and prescription insurance on August 19th. (My job was on the Missouri side). Not very many places in the trucking industry are offering health insurance anymore (Owner operators that hire drivers generally cannot afford it). So I guess if any of our family get sick we would like to know that someone would be kind enough to run a marathon, or at least walk a few sponsored miles to lend a hand.