Previous   Next

Would you ever consider driving a minivan?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on November 24, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I would not. I just don’t like the stigma attached to it; I don’t like the way they drive. They’re always underpowered.”

“ have considered driving a minivan and I did not purchase one; however, I chose an SUV instead because it just suited my needs better.”

“No, sir. Not enough utility, can’t haul brush.”

“I am not real sure. I live out on a dirt road, and my kids are all grown-up, and it’s too big.”

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

Meh, if someone gave me one I'd drive it. Would I consider buying a minivan? Probably not.

OwlHead 6 years, 4 months ago

I just returned a 2008 VW Transporter. 2.5 Liter turbo diesel. Top speed of 120 mph. Chrome side rails , fog lights, alloy weels, very pimp. Turning heads everywhere I went. You don'y see them in the states hardly at all though. So YES I would drive a mini van, but no ordinary mini van.

Matt Bowers 6 years, 4 months ago

marion is on top of things this morning. must have stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll be driving a herd of minivans across the western prairie, early next month.Rollin', rollin', rollin' Though my dreams were stolen Keep them dogies rollin'Ma-ride!Move 'em on, head 'em up Head 'em up, move 'em on Move 'em on, head 'em upMa-ride!Keep movin', movin', movin' Though I'm disapprovin' Keep them dogies movin' Ma-ride!

wifemotherslave 6 years, 4 months ago

I would, I would, I would. I want one right now. I could haul more kids around, makes me more valuable as a sitter. Sadly I can't afford one right now.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm with Jonas- I will drive anything if the price is right. Otherwise count me out.... the yearly cleaning would take too long.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

I drove a used minivan for years, and loved it. Now, the kids are older, and I have a car, but have thought about getting another one because of the dogs. Can't put three kids, a husband, and a lab in a car, but you could in a van.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

Multi: "Deal with it, you're a grown up now."Not me. Tho' you're right about the kiddie carseat thang.I drove minivans for almost two decades.There's no beating them for interior space.Be sure to get one designed around "car" rather than "truck" technology( that is, if they still produce the latter ) .

gsxr600 6 years, 4 months ago

Minivans are awesome! That is, if you can get past the fact that they are aesthetically equivalent to vomit, slow as none other, as fuel efficient as a ridiculous sports car, and as aerodynamically sound as a school bus. Driving behind one is like driving with a wall in front of you. And before people like Marion attempt to use their all-mighty powers to cripple my facts, here's an example:A 2009 TOYOTA Sienna gets 16 mpg city, 21 mpg h.w.A 2008 Ford GT500 gets 14 city, 20 h.w.-For those of you that don't know cars this is comparable mileage between a V6 minivan and 5.4 Liter 500 horsepower V8 sport car. Anything seem wrong here?

KSChick1 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh I'd consider driving a minivan. But I would not consider owning one!

SMe 6 years, 4 months ago

And you all can thank Lee Iacocca for this thread and the Mustang and the K-car.Three milestones in the auto industry from the mind of one man.

oldvet 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm with Terry... gimme that big hunkin' SUV any day!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I, Team Edward or team Jacob?I like to have one minivan (in case I need to haul people), one compact car (in case I want to save gas money), one truck (in case I need to haul firewood), a couple of semis (in case I need to haul something bigger), and a few "odds n ends" vehicles littering the yard just to avoid mowing the grass.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

You can put a dishwasher or a dryer in the back of a van. that's enough hauling for me.

gsxr600 6 years, 4 months ago

"gsxr600Both my 2003 Chrysler T&C and my 2001 Windstar did better than the mpg you are quoting.I think my 93 Lumina did about 18 and 21."Hey now, I'm just stating fact.

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't get along without mine.It's great. A Pontiac Transport, vintage 1998,just before they mutated into a Montana. Lot's of giddyup.Built on the Grand Prix platform. It performs nicely. And gets good milage, I've gotten up to 30mph on long trips.I used to haul 1500 lbs. of corn flour to Des Moines occasionally. Hauled both my shower enclosures from Lowe's in KC. I like that I don't have to get "up" into it like an SUV nor "down" into like a car. I just slide right in.Little to no maintenace. A good functional vehicle. Better than the Escalade I had that was in the shop 5 times before it had 5000 miles on it.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

I have driven a minivan many times; I've just never owned one. But if I had the use for one, I'd buy one without hesitation.As far as utility ... modern minivans are amazingly useful. If you get a recent Dodge or Chrysler minivan with the stow and go seats -- where both back rows fold into the floor -- you get a wealth of space in which to haul things. I've helped friends move with that sort of minivan, and it's remarkable what you can fit in a minivan with the seats folded into the floor.Also, I think it's pretty obvious that if you're not leaving the road on a regular basis, a minivan has far more utility than an SUV.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

When I was a Double Naught spy for a three-letter agency, my official vehicle was a Windstar specially equipped with a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine and an Eaton Road Ranger transmission. It'd light up the tires in all 9 gears. Woo-hoo!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, you can't go by what I say...I make things up. :) (You don't live in the "black monolith" that I plan to Jackson Pollock some day?)Speaking of neighbors, I'd like to know which one of mine "opened fire" at 6:30 Sunday morning. There has been a 10 pointer hanging out nearby and I wonder if he's gone now. But 7 shots? Either overkill or lousy aim! #^&%!^$ poachers! (I get very cranky when my only morning to sleep in gets ruined!)md, we were too poor for Colorforms. We had crayons....but no paper. :(

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I, 2 or 3 really obnoxious individuals!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

"nose sprite"? I think I saw her at the Renn Fest this year.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Heck, let's just all go to Cabelas & watch the fish this afternoon. Later, caribou sammwiches!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

md, I think I used to date that guy, too.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 4 months ago

In the People's Republic of Heckler, these vehicles will be outlawed as part of the first Five Year Plan. The T uber alles!

mscarbrough 6 years, 4 months ago

Minivans are cool, especially when you have cool stickers that say 26.2 and "Tri" and "DBC" on it. I take pride in my van because it says "Sport" on it, so it must be sporty. I have carried many people to many events, it has been perfect. By the way, is this a silly question?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Whenever we'd get together for a beer, Telly Savalas was always talking about Bucky Fuller & what a clever fellow he was.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

hey,'ratbrain'turneduponthe "WordsforUnpleasantOlderPeople"calendaragain.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

President Truman used to tell me about a whey-faced git in the Midwest that was always giving him stock tips. I wonder who that was?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

"Too bad you weren't even alive when I met Mr. Fuller in 1970"That'sonemorethingyou'rewrongabout,bub.

blindrabbit 6 years, 4 months ago

Minivan's are a challenge to most mens virility. I drive a big diesel pick-up and have a REAL sportscar, but just a soon drive a minivan on a long trip. To put a minvan in front of a red-neck man is like putting a red flag in front of a bull or asking him to wear a pink shirt. Talk about insecurity.