Previous   Next

Are you still concerned about nuclear war?

Asked at Rock Chalk Car Wash, 1215 E. 23rd St. on November 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I am not. I think that our military does a good enough job and our government has it in control.”

“Not so much anymore. I think recently, considering terrorist attacks and such, that’s more of a threat then nuclear war.”

“Yes, especially with Iran. The chances of them getting their hands on a nuclear device kind of scares me.”

“No, and the reason is I think that everybody has enough nuclear (weapons) that they can destroy everybody, so I think that they don’t want to do that.”

Comments

Tom McCune 6 years, 6 months ago

I was sitting around with some other old hippies the other day talking about the good/bad old days and we were all astonished to still be here. None of us had expected the world to last this long. We all expected a nuclear exchange long before now.

leadstone 6 years, 6 months ago

Naaaah, It doesn't concern me near as much as some cafeteria food does. What's up with the mac-n-cheese? You can flip the plate upside-down the whole time you're in line and nary a noodle you'll lose. Looks like Oppenheimer had another government sponsored project. Kill the Reds...save the noodles.

countrygirl 6 years, 6 months ago

With Iran and North Korea both having nukes, I worry some. Pretty unstable countries to have that kind of weapon power.

canyon_wren 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm with countrygirl. Brian Gay's comment about how "everybody has enough nuclear (weapons) that they can destroy everybody, so I think that they don’t want to do that” doesn't exactly reassure me when the Middle East countries have a mindset that includes suicide bombing. I certainly don't sit around worrying about nuclear war but I don't discount its possibility. The future holds the possibility of a lot of actions that will change the world and not for the better. I believe we just have to do the best we can right now to make life for ourselves and others as tolerable as possible.

Trobs 6 years, 6 months ago

Why worry? If we have a nuclear war, it's all over. No long drawn out conflict, just flash and we're done.

gccs14r 6 years, 6 months ago

No country has used a nuclear device in war, but we live in the only country that has used an atomic device in war. We do not hold the moral high ground with regard to usage of weapons of mass destruction. So far, we have not invaded anyone who has a nuclear device, so that apparently is an effective deterrent to our aggression. Given our postwar behavior in places outside of Western Europe, I can't blame anyone for wanting one. The more aggressive we are, the easier it is for other nations to justify their belligerence toward us. We're our own worst enemy. Obama won't have time to fix it, but maybe he can keep things from getting worse.

SMe 6 years, 6 months ago

"The rusty wire that holds the corkthat keeps the anger in gives way and suddenly it's day again.The sun is in the Easteven though the day is done.Two suns in the sunsetCould be the human race is run."The Final Cut - Pink Floyd

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm not worried about the war, I'm worried about the zombie hordes that come After the war.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

The 6 tons of nitrogen-packed corn is holding up well. I've got a cave full of flints ready for knapping. I'm ready for the time when we'll all wear lots of leather & drive strange cars really fast. Does anybody know where I can get an autogyro?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

R_I, don't you know how to pull over and say: "Get out!"? (How would one punctuate that sentence?) Then, would someone please diagram it for me?

Chris Golledge 6 years, 6 months ago

Nuclear war between nations, not at this state of affairs, who knows what the future will bring? MAD is madness, but it works, for the most part.A nuclear attack by a faceless enemy that manages to obtain a bomb from some destabilized country, that is likely only a matter of time. Humans are not perfect; somewhere at some time someone will screw up and lose a device. No matter how unlikely an event is, if the odds are greater than zero, it will happen eventually. If terrorist group X with no claims to any government manages to get a device and float it into NY harbor, who are we going to strike back at?At the same time, I don't lose sleep over that any more than I lose sleep over the possibility of getting killed in a car wreck on the way to work.On middle east states developing nuclear power plants for civil energy production: Which is a cheaper furnace, an oil burner or nuclear? On the other hand, you can't really blame them for looking around for the biggest stick they can find to protect themselves. Is it self protection they seek or aggressive capabilities? No way of really knowing, but the Bush doctrine of reserving the right to a preventive first strike is hardly setting an example we would want others to emulate and it is not a tone that would set other countries at ease.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

Shocka!"Reporting from Washington -- Antiwar groups and other liberal activists are increasingly concerned at signs that Barack Obama's national security team will be dominated by appointees who favored the Iraq invasion and hold hawkish views on other important foreign policy issues.The activists are uneasy not only about signs that both Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates could be in the Obama Cabinet, but at reports suggesting that several other short-list candidates for top security posts backed the decision to go to war."http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-foreign-policy20-2008nov20,0,4430107.story?track=rss

BorderRat 6 years, 6 months ago

No, but the Nucular one that "Dubya" always talked about kinda worried me.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

He seems to have forgotten that we're all "internet thugs".

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 6 months ago

bndairdundat says…From 1900 to 2000 averaged one war related death every 20 seconds worldwide.Try and be as uplifting as possible.

9070811 6 years, 6 months ago

It's okay for the U.S. to have lots of nukes....but nobody else can have em!!!

kujayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I think the stock market has already priced in a nuclear war.

9070811 6 years, 6 months ago

"I hope some of you useful idiots realise that you are telling us that it is OK for a raving mad fundamentalist Muslim regieme to possess atomic freaking bombs for “defensive” purposes."And there are plenty of crazy religious fundmentalists here in the U.S. and most of them are Christian. How bout that?Would it not be raving mad to invade a country that had nothing to do with attacks of 9/11? And then not go after the ones responsbile? Is it crazy for that gov't to have nukes? Defensive purposes after being bombed?

gccs14r 6 years, 6 months ago

Marion needs to look up the difference between an atomic bomb and a nuclear bomb. As a hint, one makes use of fission and the other makes use of fusion.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

What exactly is the question? Nuclear/atomic "war"; or violent use of nuclear/fissionable material?To the first, I say that the USSR died, taking the threat of nuclear war with them. To the second, I say that it's just a matter of time before an atomic device is detonated in the name of God by some terrorists. It will happen in my lifetime, in part because of the demise of the USSR.

gccs14r 6 years, 6 months ago

Marion, No one uses atomic bombs any more, and haven't since the 50s. They're all nuclear.

prolix 6 years, 6 months ago

Still have vestiges of nuclear-cold-war-fear in my blood from being a teenager in the 80's. Remember that River Phoenix movie, Little Nikita? Also-i had a total panic attack a couple of years ago during a flight from Asia to Europe. The pilot announced that we were over Siberia and my brain went all, "White Nights" on me. I had a sudden urge to try to flush my passport down the toilet.

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

My neighbor says that the plutonium he is stockpiling in the back shed is for his nuclear generator, but I think he's building a bomb. So yes, I'm am worried. Perhaps I should consider a pre-emptive strike?