Previous   Next

Will you quit smoking?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on November 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes. I just smoked my last cigarette today … ’cause I know I’ll be a lot healthier.”

“No, because I still enjoy it.”

“Yeah, this is actually my last cigarette. I need to; it’s not a good habit.”

“I’m going to quit smoking today … because of money and it’s not good for you.”

Comments

N_Trenched 6 years, 4 months ago

One of these kids is doing his own thing. The rest are in denial.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree with N-Trenched. I've heard three of those lines before, many many times. Of course, they could be BS'ing and knowing it, too.But yes, I'll quit. We'll all quit smoking. I've heard it's hard to lift a cigarette to your mouth when you're dead. We'll quit then, if not before. They should have included "before you're dead" in the question, though I suppose that would be interpretable in a number of fashions.. . . I suppose cremates get that one last smoking sensation. . . Now don't get all smarmy, non-smokers, you'll be dead too.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

And has anybody noticed that the site "maintenance" on Sunday seems to have done more harm that good? What's up with that?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

The most discussed list seems to be frozen in a block of carbonite.

salad 6 years, 4 months ago

R J Reynolds: "Heh, heh, heh....sure kids, go ahead and try to quit! Just try yer ever-lovin' best! I'm sure you'll be able to do it....mean time, we'll still be here when yer done. Oh yes...we'll still be here waitin' for ya."

2piecespicy 6 years, 4 months ago

i find it odd that 3 out of the 4 people interviewed are quitting as soon as they put that smoke out they are holding on to

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, when will the pork butt & biscuit samwiches be ready?

flux 6 years, 4 months ago

Chantex works really well if you want to quit

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

This doesn't sound like an OTS question as much as it sounds like an irritated query from somebody enduring cigarette smoke out in public. "Will you PLEASE quit smoking?"...Unless you were or will soon be on fire, in which case you're engaging in an entirely different sort of smoking.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

On Thanksgiving it'll be two years that I've not smoked. I gave up on Thanksgiving two years ago because I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I don't really feel any healthier but atleast I smell a whole lot better.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, take your time. That's a process you don't want to rush.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 4 months ago

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street - awesome editing skills! (Never smoked so don't need to quit. I am in control of my own life)

flux 6 years, 4 months ago

Get off you're pedistal BuffyloGal......

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

As soon as I start, I'll contemplate quitting.

2piecespicy 6 years, 4 months ago

BuffyloGal i wasn't aware that smoking made one's life spiral out of control...i'm not a big smoker but do occasionally, how many packs do i need to smoke before this starts happening?

BuffyloGal 6 years, 4 months ago

As soon as you start spending your money on cigarettes, the tobacco companies have won. I control what goes in me, not nicotine addiction which tells you when.flux - I'm sure you meant pedestal, but it was hard for me to see from so high up.

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

dang, who needs a Klondike Bar in here??

flux 6 years, 4 months ago

Thats going to be a long fall BuffyloGal. I got a feeling a hard fall as well.....porky!

flux 6 years, 4 months ago

Come on Windlass you can do it. You need to try a good medication

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 4 months ago

What was that multi?I quit for two months, then picked it right back up again. Chantix gives me nightmares.

Adrienne Sanders 6 years, 4 months ago

Try the Alan Carr book called "The easy way to quit smoking." Sounds hokey but it totally worked for me.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 4 months ago

I quit two years ago during the Great American Smokeout. I suppose I feel better and I like not having to worry about figuring out where to smoke. Still, I have to laugh when I hear non-smokers talk about how harmful and expensive smoking is but they never mention drinking. I know many people who spend more than $4 a day on alcohol. I know that people find smokers offensive, but I am more offended by the numerous drinkers who drive home drunk and put me and my family at risk while we try to get home. Sure, second-hand smoke puts me at risk, but so does a drunk person behind the wheel. Alcohol breath smells just as bad as cigarette breath. I can walk away from someone who is smoking but how can I avoid a drunk driver who suddenly appears from out of nowhere. Just my two cents . . . . .

flux 6 years, 4 months ago

Windlass, the Chantix worked great for me. I had to go at it on two different occasions. Dont be skipping you're doses, you need to be consistant. Its especially easy if you dont hang out or live with a smoker.

Kat Christian 6 years, 4 months ago

Congrats to all who are guitting smoking. Just remember mind over matter. The mind is more powerful then that craving and you can overcome it. Drink LOTS and lots of water, eat apples or pears - anything crunchy (not chips). Chew gum and stay away from drinks or foods you use to eat and made you want to smoke afterward. MOST OF ALL AFFIRMATIONS...keep telling yourself NO I don't need to smoke. Keep your mind busy with other things. It will take up to 6 months to a full year for your body to clean out and even then you can be tempted. It is a matter of being strong minded - affirmations: I DON'T NEED TO SMOKE. I'm better than this. This will kill me. I will DIE from smoking. Think of this: there is NOT one adult I knew in my youth that escaped having to depend on an oxygen tube in their later years, including my mother because they smoked cigerattes everyday of their lives. Is this how you want to live when you reach your 60s or 70s providing you live that long?Good luck

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!Please enable the link to the thread in our comment history!!

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 4 months ago

Holy crap, I AM on fire! Thanks. Didn't realize.Touche.

leadstone 6 years, 4 months ago

Remember folks, I'ts not how often you're coughin, it's the coffin they carry you off in.

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

It'll be ten years in March. it took about seven years before I quit missing it entirely, but week 3 was the hardest. I went cold turkey and gave up caffeine and alcohol at the same time. I didn't have a beer for six months, or any caffeine for a year. I think that helped a lot.

PapaB 6 years, 4 months ago

Please quit and give yourself the equivalebt of a raise in these tough economic times. The money and health detriments of smoking should be enough motivation to quit.

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

Its not the death, its the dying that gets ya. Not a good way to spend your last few years, pretty brutal from what I have experienced, not to mention leaving 20 years on the table and depriving your grandkids from really getting to know you.