Previous   Next

Were you raised by a stay-at-home parent?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 17, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes. My mom stayed home to raise me until I was 10. I think it was a good decision. It was nice to have a parent there to keep me engaged in activities and help with my school work.”

“Yes. My mother had her photography studio at the house, so she was able to work at home and stay home with the kids.”

“No. They both worked. And I definitely want to work as well when I have kids. I’ve gone to school for too long just to stay home.”

“Yes. They both worked, but my mom stayed at home for a while, and my father ran his business from home.”

Related story

Comments

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

Am I in a time warp, or is RI talking to himself? Or has TOB been disappeardeded?Yes, I was raised by a stay-at-home mom. It was wonderful!

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and NO. My mom stayed home with us until I was about 7. Then we moved to a horse rental/trail rides farm, and mom "worked" from home. My folks divorced when I was 9, had to move, and mom found full time work elsewhere.

nobody1793 6 years, 6 months ago

I had a stay-at-home aunt who lived a few blocks from us. Does that count?

BuffyloGal 6 years, 6 months ago

As much as my best friend's mom who watched me after school while both my parents worked. I had two families, two ways of viewing the world. My friend now works full-time in advertising and laments about not seeing her kids. I went part-time after the first was born and never blinked. Best decision for all of us. I work to stay sane and have conversation outside of Kim Possible and Goosebumps, but I see my kids when they come home from school and can help with their homework.

Lisia 6 years, 6 months ago

My mom stayed home with us until I was 5 and my sister was 3. I don't ever remember her not working, though- when she was home with us, she grew lots of veggies, which she sold to a local market, and we also sold eggs and goat's milk. Sometimes she would clean houses or take care of neighbors' children to bring in money to keep us getting by (Dad wasn't paid all that much).When I started kindergarten, she went back to "official" work as being a teacher. My sister and I both went to the school where she worked, so she was always there to help with homework after school. As much as I hated being teased by the other kids for that, it worked out really well.

Kat Christian 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow - don't get me started... Okay, my mother and all the other mother's in the neighborhood stayed home back in the day. We kids had so much fun in the summer playing outside all of the time. Everyone knew everybody. We visited and ate at each other's homes. We slept until we woke ourselves up. If one of us got hurt there was always a mother to go to that would mend us. I loved coming home from school to a warm home with mother there cooking dinner. We always ate at 5-5:30pm. It always felt like we had more quality time to be a family. Not like today. By the time most of us get home from work the evening is half over. Who feels like cooking a large meal when you've worked all day? It's a wonder our kids are fed fast foods. I think more kids are neglected today then ever before. There is no time for quality child-rearing anymore and when there is you have to condense it into short moments which can cause a lot of frustration for the parent and anxiety for the kids. It's all about GREED. Both parents have no choice but to work because the cost of housing has skyrocketed, along with utilities and food. All the necessary things we need in life. The more we need the more greedier they get and the more normal family life dimishes the more society breaks down. The domino affect.

persevering_gal 6 years, 6 months ago

No. Both parents worked. I stayed at a babysitter's house unless I was at school, and hung out with about 10 other kids. I didn't mind it - I enjoyed getting to know new kids.

kslissa 6 years, 6 months ago

No, my parents both worked. My Mom worked full-time, 11pm-7am as a labor and delivery nurse at LMH, when my parents moved to Lawrence in 1954. My father had just finished his stint in the Navy and was returning to school at KU. He worked at a pharmacy while attending school full-time during the day. I think the only time my Mom stayed at home was when she was having our family. We didn't have it so bad. When Dad graduated from school, I was 1 year old and he went to work full-time. There working schedules allowed them both to raise me and my siblings. When Mom was working, we were sleeping. Dad got us up each morning, made breakfast and our lunches. He sent us off to school before he went to work. When we arrived home from school, Mom was always there for us. Always had a homecooked meal each night and would sometimes take my father his meal in the evening, as he worked until 9:00 pm. They also did their share of volunteering, Boy Scounts, Girl Scouts, PTA, School Roomparents, attending band concerts, etc. We had the best of both worlds. Parents that worked full-time and were involved in all our activities. It was still hard back in the day in Lawrence. My parents sacrificed much to make us the productive adults we are today. Thanks Mom and Dad for being wonderful parents.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 6 months ago

Wolves raised me and did a great job I would say. Hoooowl!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Lemur. Just try to get to sleep after a lemur has just tucked you in.