Previous   Next

Do you regularly volunteer your time or money?

Asked at Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. on November 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not regularly, but I try to do both. : I believe you should support the community.”

“I do because my junior high school had a motto, ‘Enter to learn, go forth to serve,’ and that has affected my whole life.”

“Regularly, not since I’ve been in college.”

“Yes, I do. : I enjoy it, it’s fun, I like helping people out and I have time, so why not?”

Related story

Comments

labyrinth 5 years, 5 months ago

I try to give back, having had many "servants" to learn from in my past. I have been blessed with many opportunities, regret those I have missed.

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

I got plenty of time I volunteer and money to contribute...I find it fascinating to give myself a ride to school, feed myself, drink plenty of beer, see plenty of shows, clothe myself, and I donate to the panties as the dancer comes by once in a while.telling the truth is free.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtD4mn9CeH4I will donat this to you.

8ball 5 years, 5 months ago

i volunteer to accept money

waka1 5 years, 5 months ago

If you look closely you can see me coming out the door

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm going to ponder the term "unemployed server." Is that like saying that you are not qualified or have no desire to do anything else? Isn't that like saying "unemployed fast food order taker," or "unemployed grocery bagger?" It boggles the mind.

blue73harley 5 years, 5 months ago

The little woman regularly volunteers my money...to Kohls, Talbots, Target, etc.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

At this stage it usually vicariously. When a friend has a volunteer project, and I see I can help in some way, I do. The beneficiaries usually don't know I was a part of it.I used to do Habitat daily for a while.Here is a link to Ronda's blog about tonight, just wanted to make sure you all saw it.http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/at-random/2008/nov/13/over-40s-singles-group/TOB..have a biscuit..I was worried about you for a while there.

laiie430 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA, so I guess that kind of makes me a professional volunteer.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

"Regularly" is a relative term, but I'd say yes.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Well ... based on the minimal amount of money I make off some of the sports I photograph, that time could be considered volunteer time.

spacehog 5 years, 5 months ago

Look what's happenin' on the StreetGot a RevolutionGot a RevolutionVolunteers of America-Jefferson Airplane

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"Can't resist buying from a cute kid in a uniform selling a candy bar"/get mind out of gutter, Bob.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

i donate some money, and help with kids' teams. Can't resist buying from a cute kid in a uniform selling a candy bar

coolmom 5 years, 5 months ago

i volunteer with 3 different schools in classrooms and with pta, with special olympics and for an elderly couple close by. i help with all of the kids sports teams as driver and feeder and donate money to these same causes plus police and fire department causes when financially able. recently started donating to a childrens hospital that saved our sons life. i think i get far more from all this than i donate and so do my children.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Nah. I forgot about the LJW's policy of selectively deleting posts with links in them. It was probably best. I kept screwing up the complex task of cutting and pasting a link. I was attempting to link to the band Paw that OTS answerer Mark Hennessy is a member of. They used to be pretty big around these parts.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

dang tob, the ljw gods are angry with you today!!!! did you not pay your dues to the cornbread society??

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 5 months ago

Congrats acg.Dartagnian or Mordred?

coolmarv 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes I do, but probably not enough. I sometimes have 'volunteer regret' before my hand even goes up or my wallet comes out. My motto is summed up in a quote from Billy Mills. Something like "Your life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life,"

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"...and another private foundation." AutieThe National Socialistic Workers Cornbread Society, no doubt.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

Not so much the money..my kid is going to college at KU next year. Time? It is our duty. I have been the soccer coach for too many sessions..the t-ball coach, the softball coach..Planning and Zoning commission, Housing Authority board, Workforce Investment, and another private foundation. Plus served on city commission for two terms. I would much rather be in the game than sitting on the bench whining about the calls...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

To hell with it. I'm going back to bed.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 5 months ago

Is this another of those marital relations questions?Is volunteer the same thing as offer?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Been thinking about going on the next medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic, but it'll probably have to wait until I'm done with school.

Nikki May 5 years, 5 months ago

If you are a scout master, aren't you volunteering your time at least semi-regularly?And, my answer is yes. I volunteer at the school each week.