Previous   Next

Do you regularly volunteer your time or money?

Asked at Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. on November 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not regularly, but I try to do both. : I believe you should support the community.”

“I do because my junior high school had a motto, ‘Enter to learn, go forth to serve,’ and that has affected my whole life.”

“Regularly, not since I’ve been in college.”

“Yes, I do. : I enjoy it, it’s fun, I like helping people out and I have time, so why not?”

Related story

Comments

coolmom 6 years, 6 months ago

i volunteer with 3 different schools in classrooms and with pta, with special olympics and for an elderly couple close by. i help with all of the kids sports teams as driver and feeder and donate money to these same causes plus police and fire department causes when financially able. recently started donating to a childrens hospital that saved our sons life. i think i get far more from all this than i donate and so do my children.

coolmarv 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes I do, but probably not enough. I sometimes have 'volunteer regret' before my hand even goes up or my wallet comes out. My motto is summed up in a quote from Billy Mills. Something like "Your life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life,"

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

i donate some money, and help with kids' teams. Can't resist buying from a cute kid in a uniform selling a candy bar

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

"Regularly" is a relative term, but I'd say yes.

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

dang tob, the ljw gods are angry with you today!!!! did you not pay your dues to the cornbread society??

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

Well ... based on the minimal amount of money I make off some of the sports I photograph, that time could be considered volunteer time.

laiie430 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm an AmeriCorps VISTA, so I guess that kind of makes me a professional volunteer.

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

If you are a scout master, aren't you volunteering your time at least semi-regularly?And, my answer is yes. I volunteer at the school each week.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Been thinking about going on the next medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic, but it'll probably have to wait until I'm done with school.

labyrinth 6 years, 6 months ago

I try to give back, having had many "servants" to learn from in my past. I have been blessed with many opportunities, regret those I have missed.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm going to ponder the term "unemployed server." Is that like saying that you are not qualified or have no desire to do anything else? Isn't that like saying "unemployed fast food order taker," or "unemployed grocery bagger?" It boggles the mind.