Previous   Next

Do you think there should be a penalty for not shoveling your sidewalk after it snows?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, because not all seniors are capable.”

“Yes, I do. I also think there should be a program to help people who can’t do it themselves.”

“No. My reason is based on the fact that I live around a lot of elderly people. If they can’t pay people to do it for them, they shouldn’t be penalized.”

“Yes. I used to live on a street with a lot of pedestrian traffic, and people who need to walk places need to get there without falling and hurting themselves.”

Related story

Comments

phoggyjay 6 years, 7 months ago

KSA_21_3503-you made me laugh this morning

inklines 6 years, 7 months ago

I have a problem with government that passes laws they can't enforce, won't enforce, or have no clear cut enforcement plan. By the way, does the money collected from the fines go into the free parking square?

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 7 months ago

Sad that Lawrence needs some form of legislation for her citizens to do the right thing.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Sure -- I think you should have to walk your sidewalk 20 times ... barefoot.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

There is a penalty in our house for not shoveling the snow. It's called shovel that snow or listen to me complain and give my husband dirty looks until it gets done.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 7 months ago

If we can share the wealth, we can share the snow!!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Only if you still have campaign signs in your yard.

abw2102 6 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely. I think it's ridiculous that there is no enforcement of this in Lawrence. It's a hazard for pedestrians, and I hope that businesses get sued for thousands of dollars when someone breaks a leg outside of their doors. There are penalties for not clearing your sidewalks in cities all over this country, but Lawrence (and Kansas for that matter) are way behind the times on this and many other issues.I grew up in a city where residents could be fined for not clearing their sidewalks and many of my neighbors were elderly, but those of us who were able-bodied actually did the right thing and helped them out by clearing their sidewalks for them (for free). I really wish that Kansans could think about the health and safety of others and do the right thing in an unselfish manner. If we have to start fining people, so be it.

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

No I do not. I dont own it. If I did it would be tore out. The city complains about how they own it let them clear it off otherwise leave me alone.

chula6898 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe some of the people who will receive the benefits from the homeless camp could pay it forward and help out those who can't shovel. Just a thought.

labmonkey 6 years, 7 months ago

Fifteen lashes with a crop for each day it is not cleared up until three days. Then H_lector comes over for a visit.

tonythetiger 6 years, 7 months ago

"Off with his head." cried the queen of hearts...

SMe 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes, and the form justice takes should be swift and expensive. No mailed "you need to remove your snow" letters. No $20 fine.Let City employees or contractors clear it and bill the owners. Wouldn't take too long for sidewalks to start getting cleared quickly.Some parts of town don't have a lot of sidewalk traffic others do but they all need to be cleared. Not necessarily totally clear. I'd say as long as an 18" or so footpath is clear for safe walking.

Kat Christian 6 years, 7 months ago

You know they do make these little sidewalk snow plows that can be used for high traffic walking areas. What's the sense in shoveling sidewalks where no one seldom uses? I could say that about the street I live on where there are NO sidewalks and the city NEVER plows it - oh once in the years I've lived here. Should I be responsible for that? People walk on my street often as a cut through to the store. I think people who live on a street that has sidewalks where people use often should shovel as a curiosity. But as we know manner are waning through the years and people just don't care about their neighbors like they used to.

hail2oldku 6 years, 7 months ago

Just as soon as the city has a tractor come through behind the plow that throws everything onto my freshly shoveled walk.