Previous   Next

Do you clip coupons?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on November 10, 2008

Browse the archives

“I clip coupons, if I remember to bring them, to save money.”

“I do clip coupons, but usually it’s at the request of my girlfriend.”

“Sometimes I clip coupons if I get around to it.”

“Yes. I clip coupons to save money.”

Related story

Comments

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

Sarge, thanks!Funny graphicI like the play where just about everybody pulls on a sweep. We nicknamed it Student body left/right.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 5 months ago

Dillons has those silly little keycards that save you mere pennies on gas. HyVee at least gives you ten bucks back which is the better deal. If manfacturers were so interested in us saving money, we wouldn't have to jump through hoops to get it. Make the coupon an in-built feature of the keycard or if you purchase two and be done with it. We are talking about the 21st century here, even in Kansas. The technology has existed for a long time already. Marion if that makes me a snob, so be it.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says: The OTS went on a road trip for this one. All the way down 6th street.---In my youth, that really WAS out in the country.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

No, sue, I haven't noticed anything strange like that. We had two kids suffer concussions, but those aren't really out of the ordinary.In any case, I'm not a fan of the tighter-than-skin-tight football jerseys. I know the reason for them -- they're harder to grab -- but they look kind of dumb, especially when they're on an oversize lineman.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

sgt, we had a run on our hs football players getting knocked out cold this year. Have you noticed any such phenomenon up in those parts? We got those new "skinny-tight-impossible to get on" jerseys this year. Maybe that had something to do with it???

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Prospector, I love line play; it produces some great images:http://www.burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/football2007/tecumseh07.jpgMany of the best sports images feature some sort of conflict, and the most frequent conflict on the football field happens between the largest, angriest, most violent players on the field: the linemen. The only problem I have is when I run into those obnoxious offenses that are all packed in behind the line and only run into the line (what I call the Group Hug offense). Then I just get pictures of bunches of players.The Group Hug offense looks sort of like this:http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/football2008/tecumseho.jpg

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Anybody know where one can get a deal on some spiced ham?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Taco Bob -Internet. And we tend to get a bunch through the mail. Phonebook.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

I clip them sometimes but usually forget about them when I go shopping. I think I'd be more into it if I knew of a place that did the ole' double coupon day. Do any stores around here do that? All the mommy money saving blogs talk about double coupon day but the only place I knew that did that was Food 4 Less and well, doesn't look like I'll be going there.

TacoBob 5 years, 5 months ago

Same question - where does one get coupons? Sunday paper of course, but are there others sources out there?

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

Sarge, "in the line" is where the game is played! I always watch what is going on in the trenches. If you like that open field stuff, go to a track meet. Signed ole #52I know it makes for better pictures for you.

Wendy magillicutty 5 years, 5 months ago

hey thanks buffylo! that is helping me with my guilt of clipping and not using...seriously!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

BuffyloGal (Anonymous) says: Never! I hate them and everything they represent. Buy in bulk, shop responsibly and you don't need them or need any of the garbage they want you to buy."Marion writes:Funny how people will turn down a good deal on something that they may need or want because of some "higher motive"; the "higher motive" really only being snobbery.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Prospector, in that case, if you can get away with it, I wouldn't complain about a few illegal chop blocks on coupons. You can do some of that stuff in the line, but clipping is hard to get away with because it's in the open field.If tomorrow's question is "Do you block coupons below the waist while they're engaged with another blocker?" I'll laugh and laugh and laugh.

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

I do but end up not using them because they are usually for name brand items that I can get cheaper by using off/store brands. So it's rather a waist of energy and a disappointment most of the tiem. Of course there is the occasionally bargin which are far and few between. Also I've notice that coupons off buy 3 and save instead of buy 2 and save. You're saving even less. I don't think coupons are that much of a bargain anymore.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 5 months ago

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

I clip the dividends coupons from stocks and bonds.

alm77 5 years, 5 months ago

Nope. I shop at Aldi and can feed a family of 5 on less than $120 a week. Although, I do run to Dillions for things I forgot to buy and use my card there. twine, where do you get your coupons? I've never been able to get coupons to work for me. Usually there is a competing brand all ready on the shelf for less than the item I have a coupon for...

wifemotherslave 5 years, 5 months ago

Most coupons are for prepackage food items and over priced TP, toothpaste and the like. You can save money by having a garden, buying in bulk and buying things that you actually need when they go on sale. Read the circulars and plan a menu..that's how you save money.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

No. I use to, until I found out that It is always cheaper for me to buy the store brand than to use a coupon. Toilet paper might be the one I would use if I could find one for my brand. Gotta pamper the tushy.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Sarge =Racists? Oh, you bet. Makes David Duke and Jesse Jackson look like saints.

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

When the Free State Brewery come out with one. That will be about the time the National Biscuit Party gains control.Bob, gas is cheap, so splurge OTS!Sarge, but those Coupons are notorious for their dirty play, like making you buy crap you don't need. It would only be right in the interior line to sometimes make them plow up some sod with their face-masks.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

TOB, shouldn't they be racist, too?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I also fold, spindle & mutilate coupons.

PapaB 5 years, 5 months ago

I do, then forget to take them to the store.I love embarrassing my wife by pulling out a coupon at a restaurant.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Coupons are nothing more than socialistic hand-outs by multi-national corporations. And something abou Hitler should probably be thown in there.

tonythetiger 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't ever need anything they advertise. There are never sales on fresh produce. I like Peanut butter though. Natural of course. Maybe some almonds and peanuts without the shell?Maybe you could put a coupon on for Krispy Kreme Krullers?

countrygirl 5 years, 5 months ago

Coupons don't help much if you buy mostly store brands. I do use them for things like TP and toothpaste though.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

Concur..I clip lots of coupons..and they are in my back pocket, behind the seat in the truck..on the kitchen counter in a bowl...Some of them do actually make it to the store..Oh, and don't forget all the coupons that "others" in my house clip, thinking I will need them, for some ignorant crap I don't buy anyway. the need to make coupons for the liquor store..come on and give some incentive.

Topside 5 years, 5 months ago

Janette said it all. I clip 'em and forget 'em. Dang my feeble memory.

hawklet21 5 years, 5 months ago

I only clip the ones that I actually need. Toothpaste, toilet paper, cheese... those are the best coupons. I'll also use them if I find something new that I wanted to try but didn't want to pay full price for.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

I used to, and I did save some money. But then time got away, but I would like to start again. It's the game of seeing how much I can save which enjoy.

spacehog 5 years, 5 months ago

I've only written four songs in my whole life, but I've written those four songs a million times.-Bob Dylan

twinetowngirl 5 years, 5 months ago

If you know what you are doing, and watch the sale ads you can really save a lot of money with little effort. Last week, my bill before coupons was 105.79...after...42.12 You do the math! I am new to this, but have seen or heard of people having that big of a bill and walking out for less than 10.00...THAT is my goal!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 5 months ago

Just the buy one case of ammo, get the second for half price coupons.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

The OTS went on a road trip for this one. All the way down 6th street.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

No, I don't block coupons from behind and below the waist on a football field.