Previous   Next

What do you think will be the greatest challenge the new president will face?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s going to be the economy. Right now it’s not affecting me, but I know it’s going to. After that, I think it’s national security.”

“I think it will be trying to fix the mistakes of the previous administration.”

“To convince the country that we don’t need to operate like an empire to be a prosperous country. We’ve overextended our resources, and empirical aspirations are not in our best interests.”

“Probably the public’s opinion about the war, and what course of action we need to take.”

Related story

Comments

Bucker00 5 years, 5 months ago

storm (Anonymous) says: "President-elect Barrack Obama's greatest challenge will be terrorists on U.S. soil, closely resembling the KKK. They will mentally masterbat* themselves in a frenzy and try to assasinate Mr. Obama."I think it's more likely a Muslim will take a shot at him. Given his kafir status and all that. Rhambo isn't pleasing them all that much either, him being that fiery lil' Jew who will throw Obama under a bus before he bails on Israel. The very fact that his middle name is Israel has them in a hissy fit.There, now see? I was positive about his appointment on that point. I don't think all your palestinian supporting cohorts in Congress are all that positive about it though. As for his domestic politics, we'll be keepin' close watch and holding him accountable.

storm 5 years, 5 months ago

Bucker00 5 years, 5 months ago

Shoulda read, after vowing to rob from Peter to pay Paul.

Bucker00 5 years, 5 months ago

I think one of his biggests challenges, after robbing from Peter to pay Paul, he'll have two big problems. First, he'll have to try to stop a whole buncha people from changing their name to Paul. Second, he's gonna have to convince Peter not to take his dollar bills overseas to keep Paul from taking it all. (Which is already happening)He's set a very high hurdle for himself. So has so many of his supporters. Many of them are going to demand instant gratification. Appeasing those who demand to be pacified immediately never works out well.

cds 5 years, 5 months ago

Anonymous userXD40 (Anonymous) says:logicsound: The voter turnout in this election was substanially lower than in 2004 and is its mirror image. _____Buzzer sounds Wrong! http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html 2008 info is still not complete, currently estimate is about 155 mil have voted in 2008. Nice try though.Hardest part will be dealing with the Grumpy Old People party.

rantor 5 years, 5 months ago

JHOK32, I think we all "got" your point; your IQ is in the 70s and your developmental age is about eleven.

JHOK32 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama's greatest challenge..........hmmmmmmmmmm..............can he deport Bush to Uganda? Yeah!, that would be a pretty good way to kick this thing off....listen?...........can you hear.........Boot !!!!....Bonvoyagee Tex, and don't forget to take that goofy cowboy hat wit ya! Take them ridiculous spurs on your shiny cowboy boots, wit ya .too..............gitty up there goat ! We got impotent goat-ropin to do......yee haw! ...ride into the sunset......tumblin along with them thar tumblin weeds.........happy trails to you , we don't care where you tumble with yer tumblweeds, just do it on the other side of the planet..........................are ya gettin the point yet?

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Windlass (Anonymous) says: "Cut off all of the corporate/big oil welfare. That's what our next President will do (for starters)."Okay, I know I said I wouldn't fall into the trap of saying people voted for Obama because they didn't understand the issues. But then again, I also said there were people on both sides who really did vote the way they did out of ignorance.Windlass, for example.Exxon/Mobil, just ONE corporation, paid as much in taxes as the entire lower half of all individual taxpayers. Not that this was so very much, it was only about $30 billion - which represents an average of 3% of the income of the lower half, but 40% of Exxon's revenue. Yep, 'corporate welfare' at its finest.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 5 months ago

Not crying each day when he sees 100 new gray hairs in the mirror.Thinking, I'm the President to represent all blacks for the generations, and my daughters have named the puppy Verdell.The racial implications of biscuits vs cornbread.

Windlass 5 years, 5 months ago

Cut off all of the corporate/big oil welfare. That's what our next President will do (for starters). There's a heck of a lot he can do. Letting the Bush tax cuts expire. That's another thing.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

"What do you think will be the greatest challenge the new president will face?"Suppressing the urge to break into song.BTW, I loved the comment that Obama's entrance last evening was perhaps the most "subdued" ever. How refreshing to have a leader not preoccupied with his own "swagger."

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

bp, and what do you know about anything? All last week you were telling us how McCain was going to win, that the Bradley Effect was going to kick in, and at one point you even went as far as posting a bogus story about Democrats voting on Wednesday that the LJWorld had the good sense to pull. Whatever indeed.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

Being bipartisan. Next week, Joseph Leiberman is getting the boot by Harry Reid as Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee. Bipartisan anyone? Whatever.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

jaywalker and logic, I agree. I will put my support behind Obama at this point and hope he is the man so many people believe him to be. As for McCain, I already knew he was the man we believed him to be and he proved it again in his speech last night - I agree that it was one of his best. Hail to Obama!

JHOK32 5 years, 5 months ago

Bush has left him a mountain of a mess. Trillions of dollars in national debt, an economy in the greatest ruins since the great depression, two unfinished wars (that he started). But America has stood up loud & clear. I believe Obama will be a great President. He has his work cut out, but he will change the downward nosedive that this country has been in since Bush took office. He will gain new respect from the world community. My prayers are with him......he's going to need all the help he can get!

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

TOB. Thanks for the giggles.I was thinking more of the AZ location and the part about,"The woman wanted the animal tested for rabies so she ran a mile to her car with the fox still biting her arm, then pried it off and tossed it in her trunk and drove to the Prescott hospital."Sounded like a thing Bea would do.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

What is the difference between jaywalker and a rabid fox?Lipstick.

XD40 5 years, 5 months ago

logicsound: The voter turnout in this election was substanially lower than in 2004 and is its mirror image. There was no landslide or mandate for Obambi. The Senate is still divided and the gains in the House were at the very low end of predicitions. Without the complicity of a leftist media Obambi would have lost this election. We will be a 'loyal opposition'. As opposed to the Democrats of the past 8 years.

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 5 months ago

The economy... The market likes taxes so much... it is down well over 400 points today... you got what you wanted... more taxes in a sluggish economy... here comes the recession.There was an old country song that pretty much sums up voting for this re distributionist."Yonder comes a fool"Live with it folks...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"Dang Lady!!!!This is probably our Beatrice."Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm""Why would Bea bite someone's arm?

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

Dang Lady!!!!This is probably our Beatrice."Jogger runs mile with rabid fox locked on her arm"http://www.kansas.com/520/story/586709.html

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

bea,It's 'petty' to say you don't like a dress? You just don't have a clue, do ya, hon?For the intelligent and thoughtful posters (bea is excepted), did everyone catch both Obama's acceptance speech and McCain's concession? BO may be the best oratorian we've ever had, forgive the hyperbole, but man he can deliver. And McCain probably gave his best speech, sad to say, through this whole campaign. Class acts both.

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

In other news, the Do Dah (Wichita) Eagle-Beagles sez, Ron Prince is quitting.

logicsound04 5 years, 5 months ago

"Whoever holds power is obnoxiously proud, and whoever doesn't hold power is obnoxiously bitter."--------------While true to a certain extent, I don't think all people are this way. It just happens that they are the loudest ones.I'm a little bit disappointed, as I think both John McCain and Barack Obama are genuinely good men who have our best interests at heart. If McCain had won, thought I would have been saddened to see Obama (my candidate) lose, I truly think that I would have had no problem throwing my support behind McCain.I hope that those making disparaging remarks about Obama before he ever performs a task as our President are the small (but vocal) minority on the right.

prospector 5 years, 5 months ago

"pig in the poke "At least there will be a plentiful supply of sausage to make gravy with.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Remember, remember the fourth of NovemberThe ACORN treason and plotAnd what the media did to helpAnd the pig in the poke we've got.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

TOB, I'm still trying to figure out what slander jelly is.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Ronida -No one from the powerful biscuit lobby has given me any recipes. Perhaps I need to switch to something else.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

More cornbread it is then, my friends! heheFor those of you who read my cornbread blog, I received an interesting email from someone who wrote a book with cornbread recipes asking me if I would care for a copy of his/her book. Of course being the lover of cornbread that I am, I wrote back and gave them my address. UPS just dropped my book off to me a little less than an hour ago. I will get permission to give a recipe or two after I try some of them along with the name of the book. Some mighty tasty looking recipes of some foods to eat along with your cornbread too! FOUR MORE YEARS OF CORNBREAD!!!!!!!!!!! O_bob's biscuits are spared!(Although, autie, the idea of half and half sounds quite good to me. Would it be biscuits in the morning and cornbread at night, or cornbread in the morning and biscuits at night? Ahhh, heck, one bite of cornbread, another of biscuit, one bite of cornbread, another of biscuit......

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, logicsound ... seething bitterness is bipartisan. Whoever holds power is obnoxiously proud, and whoever doesn't hold power is obnoxiously bitter. The political world is simply an excuse for people to revert back to their terrible two "Mine! Mine! Mine!" period of life.

logicsound04 5 years, 5 months ago

"BTW, we've had 8 years of seething bitterness from the Democrats to help set the tone, haven't we?"--------------The difference being that most (not all) of the bitterness from the left has been in response to the actions of the current president and his party.Obama, on the other hand, won't take office for another 2 months, yet a great number of people on the right are already filled with hate and bile.

LAH 5 years, 5 months ago

The biggest challenge this president will face will come from those who elected him, not those who voted for other candidates. He has promised so much and has raised expectations so high that many are bound to be disappointed in what he will ultimately be able to deliver.

TacoBob 5 years, 5 months ago

Resisting the temptation to blame lack of success/progress going forward on the previous administration. He is the "Change" candidate (they both were, but Obama much more so) and he has a boatload of changes he ran on, along with promises to get it done. So don't take the quick excuse route and say things are way worse than he ever knew, so we can't __ (fill in the blank). You have the majority across the board. So do what you said you will - end the war, fix the economy, healthcare, on and on. Specifics were hard to come by, but now is the time to trot them out, set your timetable, and execute. The red tape is all but gone, so put the pedal down.No excuses, just results. As you said. Make it so.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Biggest challenge?? Ripping the thread of racism from the American fabric!!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm all for more cornbread if it means diverting corn from ethanol.

Mkh 5 years, 5 months ago

When the US Treasury declares itself financially Insolvent sometime in 2009.Good luck with that.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

On second thought, Ronda..all of us should get half biscuits and half cornbread. One of the best things we can all do for our country right now is to start consuming more cornbread. With the teetering corn futures markets and the inevitable collapse of ethanol plants, eating more cornbread would help the economy immensely by preventing the government from having to support it with subsidies. Agriculture is our future and cornbread is our today.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Dealing with the disappointed Peggy Joseph."Here's to hoping the seething bitterness from the right passes as we get closer to Obama's inauguration."BTW, we've had 8 years of seething bitterness from the Democrats to help set the tone, haven't we?

motomom 5 years, 5 months ago

hardest part ? i would have to say potty-training that new puppy he promised his girls in the white house!!!!! heehee

logicsound04 5 years, 5 months ago

Here's to hoping the seething bitterness from the right passes as we get closer to Obama's inauguration."the world is ending""worst president ever""the country is screwed"Hows about we at least wait until he takes office to declare his decisions catastrophic, mkay? It's hard to think you can possibly take an objective viewpoint when you are foaming at the mouth to tear him down.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

autie and o_bob, really you two! I turn my blog for half a second and there you are talking about all the freebie cornbread I'll be getting under the new administration. If that is the case, then I might be sitting pretty for the next four years - okay, and then there is that diet that the economy crunch brings on to even out the caloric intake. You rascals. :)

Gootsie 5 years, 5 months ago

"I think it's going to be the economy. Right now it's not affecting me, but I know it's going to..."Where in the wide wide world of sports are you living, Darlene? Not affecting you? Honey, you're just not paying attention....

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

The $10,000,000,000,000.00 + dept, which has more than doubled in the time Bush has been in office. Trying to scale that back while moving the economy forward will be a difficult task, indeed. I'm quite sure most of us wish him well and can't imagine any American wishing a President otherwise. jay, although you may not have liked Michelle's dress (which is a bit petty of you), I'll bet she at least bought it herself. Too bad she is so tall, because I know where she can buy some second-hand designer wear for cheap.

militant 5 years, 5 months ago

Which country to nuke first. I say let's start in Lebanon and Syria, move East, skip Iraq, hit Iran, Afganistan, & Pakistan. Anybody else that pipes up like Russia, we pop 'em immediately and we're done. After that, we focus on the economy. Have a nice day.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

"i think president obama's greatest challenge will be countering the idiot fundie righties. period."Just remember that for every such rightie, there is an equally idiotic leftie that he's going to have to avoid. The problem for him there is that some of those lefties probably voted for him, which makes them harder to avoid than the righties who didn't vote for him.Anyway, I think he will face his biggest challenge in trying to be remembered as something other than The First Black President.

Trobs 5 years, 5 months ago

XD40 isn't crazy, he has a point. Carter is considered one of the worst. Why? He set the bar very high. Obama has followed in the footsteps. He has promised a lot, how much he can deliver will determine how long his support lasts.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

He needs to hit the ground running, and running hard. Our economy is in very bad shape. The war in a Iraq is a problem, but we also need to reach closure with all the "stans" next door to Iraq. Most importantly, hide from George!! If he knew anything we wouldn't be in this shape.

XD40 5 years, 5 months ago

Obambi's most difficult challenge will be trying to keep all the promises he made. Within a fairly short time frame his cult of followers will begin to become disillusioned with him. That disillusionment will turn to anger. Obama must learn to govern. He is president, to be sure, but his powers are limited. He must work with a fractious House and a very divided Senate. He will, I believe, be the worst president we've ever had. Worse even than Carter. It will be a one term presidency. One term because of the anger of the cult of followers, fellow travelers, he has created in his rise to power.

conservativepunker 5 years, 5 months ago

Morons. This country is so screwed now.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"jonas, Is that a kitty in a gun scope? gasps with shock and dismay My kiddo will have to re-think this Domo affection-thing."I thought those were evil lemur puppets.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

i_tching 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama's greatest challenge won't be the wars, the economy, nor the enviroment. It will be the religious fascist wackaloon true-believers.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"except Ronda..she'll get cornbread muffins." AutieYou think Obama will expose his socialist side that quickly?

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

Lemur and Biscuits?? Maybe instead of a stimulus check, he can give us all a dozen biscuits..works for me...except Ronda..she'll get cornbread muffins.

ryknow1976 5 years, 5 months ago

trinity (Anonymous) says: i think president obama's greatest challenge will be countering the idiot fundie righties. period.That's a challenge we all face together trinity. Hopefully, with B-rock driving the car we can pancake those b@stards on the highway of life together.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 5 months ago

trinity said it. That, and picking out the new wall paper for the oval office. Oh, and lemme see... maybe the economy, the energy crisis, the mess in the middle east, homeland security... I hope Obama's got a really big pooper scooper. because someone sure left him a lot of cr@P to clean up.

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

"by taking over the mideast oil and natural gas fields"Dumbest line of the day, merrill. Congrats. I never realized Iraq encompassed the entire Middle East, nor that we'd taken over their oil fields. That oil is just rolling in right now, ain't it?Biggest issues: world standing in an ever-growing trade market, Russia and Iran, and terrorism.Godspeed and may President Obama's decisions be the right ones. On a completely different note, and I'm just sayin'....... very poor choice for Michelle's victory dress last night! She's a lovely woman, mistake on the outfit.

autie 5 years, 5 months ago

the hardest challenge may be getting past that part when he says, "Where do we start?" Mutiple issues at the same time..Get a solid plan for the credit/housing/bailout crisis..move on to getting a solid, workable plan to get out of Iraq..focus on Afganistan..then on to domestice issues. With all that said..the hardest part will be to rebuild the confidence and trust around the world with our allies and friends that the current administration has ignored and snubbed...

bobberboy 5 years, 5 months ago

Proably not getting assasinated,

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Keeping an eye on the current administration 24/7 who went in with the undisclosed mission of USA military world domination by taking over the mideast oil and natural gas fields. Project for a New American Century has been the BUSHCO think tank for some time and many found their way into the current administration including former Iran-Contra criminals. The House and Senate should not break but stay on duty 24/7 until a new administration is sworn in.The facist neoconservatives who took over the republican party are a world wide concern.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

i think PRESIDENT OBAMA'S greatest challenge will be countering the idiot fundie righties. period.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 5 months ago

rantor (Anonymous) says: Trying to prove he isn't clueless like the people who voted for him.This is like a scene from the horrible movie, Idiocracy.Stupidity rules!!!"Marion writes:Funny but true!

jimjones 5 years, 5 months ago

We'll have the hottest first lady since....Eleanor Roosevelt

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

Pushing through a national Lemur and Biscuit Holiday. Two great tastes that go together need a holiday.

rantor 5 years, 5 months ago