Previous   Next

What’s the most important thing you’ve ever forgotten?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“My mom’s birthday. I came home to a house full of people and didn’t know what was going on until I saw a big banner and the birthday cake. It was really embarrassing.”

“I forgot I had a final for my communications class my sophomore year. Fortunately, the professor let me make it up.”

“My parents’ birthdays. I’m better at remembering my dad’s, but he really doesn’t care if I forget. My mom gets pretty angry, but she waits a couple weeks before she tells me that I forgot it.”

“I forgot to take a final last year. It was pretty bad. It pretty much dropped me an entire letter grade.”

Comments

gnarly 5 years, 5 months ago

well here's the rub about that final...about..."forgetting it"first...it was an online final.second...the teacher had decided to sneakily change the date a couple of times.third...it was not required. he would drop your lowest score anyway.i am merely a very poor student.

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

a Joshua Bell concernt at 5pm on a Friday nite !

TopJayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Girls used to always forget their foundation garments when I was a kid in the sixties and seventies. The collective female memory seems to have improved dramatically. AH well, mores the pity.

hawklet21 5 years, 10 months ago

fu7il3 (Anonymous) says:How do you "forget" a final? It's a final. It's the reason you are in the class in the first place. A college student who forgets a final has some serious priority issues.Right? I was wondering why that would pop up for even one answer. You cannot possibly "forget" a final... You know from day one when the final should be, and you should be there at that time if you aren't sure if it's being given or not. I'm still amazed that anyone would forget a final. I forgot to get my driver's license for 2 months a few years ago... and I forget to do the FAFSA until way late every year. Other than that, I don't think I've ever forgotten anything super important.

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

How about "neocon?" I can't imagine any neocons objecting to that label. They all seem proud of the fact....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

A third term used was "pinko." Let's see if that term gets me bleeped.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinko

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

Anoher of the terms I used was "holy roller." I didn't accuse anyone of being a holy roller and didn't make any threats or even any disparaging remarks about anyone who might be one. Let's see if the terms gets me bleeped.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_roller

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

Let's try an experiment.... One of the terms I used in the item which was removed was "theo-fascists." I didn't accuse anyone of being a theo-fascist or make any threats against anyone who might be one. Let's see if I get bleeped again for just mentioning the term and concept of theo-fascism.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neofascism_and_religion

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

LOL. I don't remember anything in my earlier post being incorrect, either. All I really said was the most important thing I ever forgot was my LJWorld.com password which prevented me from annoying certain groups of people for a few days! If I annoyed them enough to get bleeped, I might have succeeded!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says: The repeats mean i forgot it three more times, total of 4.My kids didn't work out so well, two are dead, the other two are having a really really rough time of it. (Suffering the PTSD of losing a sibling, their childhood, etc.)So, knowing what I do now, I'm not so sure we did a good thing.******************From reading some of your other posts, you sound like you have had a hard go of things. I hate to see that for anyone. I don't know you but you seem like an interesting person.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

The repeats mean i forgot it three more times, total of 4.My kids didn't work out so well, two are dead, the other two are having a really really rough time of it. (Suffering the PTSD of losing a sibling, their childhood, etc.)So, knowing what I do now, I'm not so sure we did a good thing.============landing gear..good one! Hope he see's that, sounds like he can take a good ribbing like most. Softens the agony of error a bit. We are nothing if not human.

Sagecasey 5 years, 10 months ago

Prospector,Feed a cold and starve a fever is correct.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

momof three:classic! Thanks for sharing.My family had some of those two. Dad and son were one day apart, mom and grandchild were one day apart, daughters and another great friend, and cousin all in two days.--------Windlass..how old were you? That sounds tragic!----Autie, I may never forget you forgetting the rods either.-----My brother once went hunting with friends at some special area up in Canada i think.They hunted, drank, slept, drank, etc.The day came to go home. The pheasants (a lot) had been processed and were dry iced in a cooler.They were so drunk when they left for the airport, that they forgot the cooler.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

In an old survey, 70% of people said that if they had it to do over again, they would not have children.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just as well.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says: 3) In an old survey, 70% of people said that if they had it to do over again, they would not have children.4) repeat of #35) repeat of #36) repeat of #3************Does that mean you are one of the 70%?

l_town_playa 5 years, 10 months ago

I forgot my stash in a lease car when I turned it in. Someone who bought a CPO VW Jetta got a nice surprise when they looked under the center console cover ;-)

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

Sunflower_Sue, are you my wife? I have a habit of forgetting my pin numbers in the check out line...that I've used a million times. That and passwords. I did go fishing once, loaded everything up and got to the lake to discover I didn't put my rods in the truck. My daughter will not let me forget that one.

KU_Dude 5 years, 10 months ago

^^^^^I just reread the headline. It reads "Important". That wouldn't be Cool's posts. Disregard my comments.

KU_Dude 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm trying to forget all of Cool's posts but am finding that next to impossible.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

I sort of forgot to get back on the bus in Maryland, and had to stay in Maryland four extra hours. My suitcase was located about eight months later, and delivered back to me from, think it was, Texas or it might have been Arizona. I forget which one.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

Our first date was on a 25th, and we got married on the 26th (or so he tells me), but I always get mixed up between the two. His birthday is the day after mine, so he can never forget that, and neither can I. My mom's birthday is on the 5th, and my daughter's is the day after hers. My dad's birthday was the same day as my cousin's son. My mom says she has trouble remembering her anniversary (3rd husband). married 1st husband on Jan 1. divorced for several years, and then decided to re-marry. pick Jan 2 for 2nd husband. Don't know if he knew about the anniversary date of the first, but she could remember it. I think the 3rd hubby is the first week of August.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

Humility. It's important to take that everywhere you go.

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

How can I tell you if I forgot?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

To turn on my cell phone the day the local shopping center caught on fire. Had I turned on my phone when I woke up, I would have been able to get pictures of the fire in progress; instead, I got there late and got pictures of the damage. Oh well.Also, to take the cookies out of the oven. Cookies are very important.

salad 5 years, 10 months ago

I got distracted with the baby and forgot to buckle my 4 yr. old into her car seat. However, when I started the car, she reminded me with her best straight man, "uhhhh....daddy? Did you forget something?" So no harm done.

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

Feed a cold, starve a fever or is it the other way around? I'm sure I will be informed by someone here but will I remember? Doubt it.What is the most important thing you have had to forget is my question.Sue, pink is always in, especially with the whitey tighty's.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't remember newells post as being "incorrect". Maybe he just went totally over my head.mom of three..I've found creating new dates on top of old dates helps. My show dogs had the habit of whelping on major holidays. 1-1, 2-14, 4-1, 5-31 (memorial that year), 7-4, 8-12 (mom's birthday..at her house, in her horror!) 10-12, 11-25, 12-25 and 25. Too often, and we couldn't find a veterinarian if needed.My first two children had the same birthday. My son was born on my first marriage's anniversary. (Never told second husband).My son died on my best friends birthday. I try to schedule Christmas on the same day each year too.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

hhmm, I always forget which date my anniversary is on (don't know why), and that is irritating to my husband. but my dad forgot my 18th birthday. He thought my birthday was the next day.

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

My wife(at the time)forgot to remove the foil from a suppository once.

dminear60 5 years, 10 months ago

If I forgot it, it could not have been that important.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

To wash the red shirt separately from the whites.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

geek - you'd be stylin' now. You were obviously ahead of the fashion curve.

le 5 years, 10 months ago

I also forgot 2 forget my problems...Darn...And how come they are still there and just don`t go away?

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

I forgot to get dressed all the way for school once when I was a youngster.I ended up wearing my PJ bottoms to school.

le 5 years, 10 months ago

I forgot 2 finish High School ! Oh and Megan...you forgot to buy new style of glasses..are those 50s eras?

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

I would like to forget how unattractive insectoid-style sunglasses look but the OTS keeps reminding me.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm with Kyle. I can't remember. (damn you, Kyle, for waking up and commenting sooner than I did).

Das_Ubermime 5 years, 10 months ago

I forget important things all the time. I've found that what works best is to tattoo the really important parts of my life to my body so that I won't forget them. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go find and kill the man who raped and murdered my wife... again.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

I should have made those all 1's, as they tied for "most".When you get older, there's just more "stuff".

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

1) Don't mess with mother nature..no matter how educated one may be.2) Marriages, government, schools & people can't be counted on or trusted. Prepare yourself for the inevitable. Take nothing/none of your plans, for granted.3) In an old survey, 70% of people said that if they had it to do over again, they would not have children.4) repeat of #35) repeat of #36) repeat of #37) Doing for others usually just makes you broke & alone, sooner.8) Don't trust your parents to actually be "honoring" the same morals and rules they forced down your throats.They may well be playing you your whole life, you innocence trusting child you.9) Pet people should never marry someone with allergies to pets. It will never last, and your children will be denied a normal childhood of learning.

Newell_Post 5 years, 11 months ago