Previous   Next

Have higher gas prices affected your recent travel plans?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“A little. We just drove here from Lincoln, but we had to miss a bridal shower in Iowa because it would have cost us more than we had to spend on gas.”

“Yes. We were planning on taking a camping trip to Arkansas, but we decided to just go to the Lake of the Ozarks instead.”

“Kind of. I want to go see my sister in Portland. I was looking forward to a nice road trip, but now I’m thinking it’s going to be a lot cheaper for me to fly if I can get my tickets far enough in advance.”

“All I know is that you have to want to go places at least twice as much.”

Comments

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

Eric (AKA Jesus) can't even afford shampoo, how the hell can he afford gas?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I also have a look alike. She's right here in town. Of course, this was during the 70's and 80's when I still looked like me.Family and friends would see her, think it's me, and go right up to her and start talking, then realize it wasn't me. I haven't seen her, but so many people have done that and told me, it must be true.I have had many people come up to me and start, then say, Wow you look just like a friend of mine. I wonder if they mean "her".Once, my mom had been to Ga, and when showing me photos, she handed me this one.It was of me, from the side, standing in my Aunt's kitchen. I thought nothing of it, for a couple of seconds..until my brain kicked into gear and I realized, this picture was of me in the late 80's, and I hadn't been to my aunts since one evening in the late 70's, no photos taken, and then back in the very early 70's, and I would have been just a young teen!It was my niece. A few years younger than me, and from the front, I would have never said we looked at all alike, but this side photo, we were dead-ringers. She even wore the same hairstyle I did.That was great fun.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 10 months ago

Eric and I look somewhat similar. Weird. I'm always getting mistaken for someone else, and I'm beginning to see why. When I lived in California, people kept asking me if I was some guy named Shimshai. No fewer than six separate people asked me this over a period of a year and a half. The guy has a website and some videos on Youtube, and I can definitely see the resemblance. My family thinks the resemblance so close that it is creepy. Of course, save for my hair, I try to stay clean-cut and presentable.As for this stupid gas stuff. I am going to be doing a fair amount of driving this summer so that I can do archaeological fieldwork. After gas and food, my wages will probably allow me to just break even. Well, maybe not, but it will cut into the budget a little more than I wouldl like. I went on a 1600-mile roadtrip two weeks ago, and my gas expenses were somewhere in the $300-$400 range. I'm glad my car gets decent gas mileage.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

He would have traveled in a convoy of a thousand scream'in trucks.And 11 long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says: "Jesus wouldn't drive an SUV, F150, or a Hummer, as so many of us think we're entitled to. Why doesn't anyone know the difference between wants and needs anymore. Hell, I saw this coming in 1996 when gas was literally 96 cents a gallon and people were buying every SUV they could get their hands on. Our greed has caught up with us."How do you know what Jesus would do? He had 12 disciples following him so why wouldn't he buy a couple of SUV's? Why are SUV's "greedy" if you need one or want one and can pay for one??? I know the difference between needs and wants, they may not be your needs and wants, but then again you aren't me and it's my money so I get to make the choice, not you. This is your business exactly why? So you saw this coming in 1996, and for over a decade you did exactly what? And if gas goes down to $2.00 gallon will you feel disappointed?"Meanwhile, the world's leading producers say oil is too expensive and they plan to increase supplies. A source at OPEC said its 13 members were uncomfortable with the current price of crude, which last week hit a record $135 a barrel. Based on present supply and demand, he said it should be fetching $60-$70 a barrel. Saudi Arabia said it would increase production."http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1317363,00.html

fleeba 5 years, 10 months ago

autie, That already has became a problem.. Friends of ours have had that happen TWICE with their van. And this is in the nice area of town...I'm not going to be going very far for vacation this year, due to gas. We decided to spend the money on Rockfest tickets instead of gas.

spacehog 5 years, 10 months ago

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

Maybe I should start selling six foot long pieces of hose. They can be handy at times. I remember when the crackheads started siphoning when gas got up to around $2.50. I suppose that it will become a problem soon.

NEWSFLASH_MAN_BITES_DOG 5 years, 10 months ago

Thank goodness, our hh income will be OK. When oil hits $200-300 per bbl, then we will worry more about locking our cars/gascaps and against home invasion for that matter. We'll be more worried about the kooks coming around trying to take what is not theirs. That's the biggest concern.Get ready dreamy idealists, it's a comin'!

ndmoderate 5 years, 10 months ago

"Amy Vignery, Johnson County Community College junior, Lawrence"Ummm.....how can community colleges have "Juniors" ???

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes. We will be carpooling to basketball tournaments. I also try to pick up everything I need at one time, instead of little trips, like Sue. Hopefully, the hubby will pick up the habit. For our grad's party, he went to the store, and forgot ice, and had to go back. My dad has always driven a truck to work. He owns a diesel. But now, he is driving a buick to work for better gas mileage.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

Another ditto to sunny sue. Just got our monthly gasoline bill (we put it all on one credit card) - 600 bucks! Commuting sucks. Since the little woman is a teacher, the bill will go down now that summer is finally here. Thank ya, Jesus!

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

multiD: Blame the repeat question, not my tangential posting style.

Charlie Naramore 5 years, 10 months ago

At least two of us watches the Simpsons.

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know... he looks more like a Jebus that a Jesus.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Jesus was from the middle east.. would he have been on the no fly list?I mean, he did stir things up a bit.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations jonas..you have completely derailed the OTS this morning..lolzI saw the picture and thought, "I bet he would clean up real nice".And no he's not JC. I dated JC back in the 70's. Seriously, he looked exactly like Ted Neely in JCSuperstar, but he talked with George Carlin's voice. Did jokes as well too. He mesmerized the group with laughter..had quite a following...plus, he wouldn't violate and underage female....hmmm.(scratches head)

Crossfire 5 years, 10 months ago

If Jesus was here would the miracle be to turn the water into petroleum,...or would we run him back to Mexico for being illegal?

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

. . . and no, you're not on my recognizable list of those who attempt to force, which is perhaps why we can enjoy bantering with each other.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

pssst. . . . I'm not a liberal!

cheeseburger 5 years, 10 months ago

For some reason, I enjoy banter with you, Jonas, despite our being about as dissimilar as possible - conservative/liberal, Christian/non-Christian. I'd love to meet you sometime, though our being half a world apart will pose some logistical problems!I hope you weren't referring to me when you made the comment about those who 'force their way of life' upon others. We'd love to have you 'in the flock,' but I only invite; I don't brow-beat!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Like sue said, not travel plans, but day-to-day stuff. For instance, while there are three soccer playoff games this week, they're all almost an hour away, so I decided to go to only one of them. Stuff like that.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

You're always free to share your way of thinking. I would suggest, however, that my thoughts on the subject are perhaps deeper than I have elaborated upon here. Certainly I find many of the teachings of Jesus to be highly valuable, and even if I have no desire to follow the specific path of Christianity, I have no issue with other people deciding to follow that path. (Thought I must admit that I do have an issue with those who feel the need to not only teach but also to force their way of life upon those who don't particularly want it)I'll remain, however, one of the lost lambs. >B^)>

cheeseburger 5 years, 10 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says: Holy crap! Jesus lives!!__You're right, Jonas! Congrats! Sorry it took the photo of a look-a-like to convince you!! :-)"Whoever believeth in me, and is baptized, shall be saved." -Jesus"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16Given your thoughts on the subject, I just had to respond, since you kinda left the door open !!

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

Not like Moses. Jesus walks on the water. Moses parts it, then walks on the riverbed.

jaycat 5 years, 10 months ago

JC doesn't drive; he walks. Just like Moses.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

He's just happy that, after two thousand years, he finally got corrective lenses.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

yup gas prices have indeed affected my plans...wanted so badly to drive to northern illinois to visit family, but just can't see spending the $$ for it. they'll have to come see me, instead. ;)JC looks like such a happy fella! :)

le 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes!!! I used to drive to california ..I love to drive thru Colorado using I-70...I enjoyed the relaxing nature of being behind the wheel & using that time to do much needed thinking time! And I loved stopping at the greasy spoons along the scenic routes off the interstate! Not any more..1989 I drove to Cal. & back for $75 in gas...Today I would be lucky to make it 2 the Colo. border for $75....I estimate today it would cost $500 + to drive to San Fran & back..I can fly for about $220 round trip..& I hate flying! The whole (Bush Driven) Gas situation has screwed all of america of simple pleasures such as road trips..and the airlines better not be whining about losses cuz I know they have 2 be doing well as many like me are flying more! I only flew 3 times up until I was 46 yrs old...In the last 5 months I have flown 3 round trips..so yes Yes Yes..it has effected my travels in a very big way! Oil man Bush sucks & can kiss the darkest part of my Hairy @ss!

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

The Lord himself walks the streets of Lawrence, saying thus "Let not the price of gasoline bind you. Verily I say, thou hath only to desire in ones heart at least twice as much. " OTS 1:1.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

travel plans? No. Day to day driving? Yes. If I want to go on vacation, I will. However, if I need something at the grocery store, and I'm not already driving by on some other important errand, I'll live without it.